recover EFS files ???

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

mike

recover EFS files ???
hi,

vista ultimate

my vista drive no longer boots after i had to replace motherboard and ended
up with a new & different chipset. i have installed vista on a new drive and
am copying data from old drive. all is going well except for some files i
had encrypted with EFS. when trying to copy these, i am told i do not have
permission to access. drag & drop just gave me empty folders. any help ???

thanks,
mike.

Mike Brannigan

Re: recover EFS files ???
"mike" <mikeytj2000@canada.com> wrote in message
> hi,
>
> vista ultimate
>
> my vista drive no longer boots after i had to replace motherboard and
> ended up with a new & different chipset. i have installed vista on a new
> drive and am copying data from old drive. all is going well except for
> some files i had encrypted with EFS. when trying to copy these, i am told
> i do not have permission to access. drag & drop just gave me empty
> folders. any help ???
>
> thanks,
> mike.

Did you save your original encryption keys and any recovery keys you
generated (or was your machine and account a member of a domain)?
If not then you are unlikely to be able to recover these files.
EFS is a reasonably strong encryption solution and should not be used
without understanding the impact of its use and processes required to
recover.
--

Mike Brannigan

mike

Re: recover EFS files ???
yes, i have the encrytion key on usb flash drive