Windows Explorer won't work.

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

Barkooda

Windows Explorer won't work.
I downloaded some Weezer videos from weezed.com last week (that right there
was my first problem). One of the videos did not finish downloading but it
left an icon on my desktop and whenever i try to delete it it will not
delete. It acts like it will delete but it wont. Even in safe mode. If I
select "properties" it says that it is 0KB in size. I downloaded a few
videos and they all worked and even downloaded this one again again and on
the second time it worked. So this is not the big deal, I just have an icon
on my desktop that i cannot get rid of. Well the next day I try to open my
c: drive and nothing. A window pops up like it is going to open and nothing
happens. The window just says Windows Explorer and it is empty. I can use
Internet Explorer and can use Mozilla and Windows Live Messenger. I cannot
however access anything that i have to go through Windows Explorer to use. I
was worried that my hard drives were dead, but if i use Internet Explorer or
Mozilla to access the drives, to send something as an attachment I can see
all my files right where they are supposed to be. I tried to use several
restore points and they didn't correct the problem. I had windows check the
registry and nothing, no problems. I used Symantec to scan the computer and
no problems. So now i have no idea what to do.
To make it even better, I am currently in the People's Republic of China so
Vista is hard to come by and even harder to find someone who has even used it
before. I have had 2 guys from the Chinese version of GEEKSQUAD have a go at
it and they did absolutely nothing. Nothing even works in safe mode. If
someone has a solution HELP!
Malke

Re: Windows Explorer won't work.
Barkooda wrote:
> I downloaded some Weezer videos from weezed.xxx last week (that right there
> was my first problem). One of the videos did not finish downloading but it
> left an icon on my desktop and whenever i try to delete it it will not
> delete. It acts like it will delete but it wont. Even in safe mode. If I
> select "properties" it says that it is 0KB in size. I downloaded a few
> videos and they all worked and even downloaded this one again again and on
> the second time it worked. So this is not the big deal, I just have an icon
> on my desktop that i cannot get rid of. Well the next day I try to open my
> c: drive and nothing. A window pops up like it is going to open and nothing
> happens. The window just says Windows Explorer and it is empty. I can use
> Internet Explorer and can use Mozilla and Windows Live Messenger. I cannot
> however access anything that i have to go through Windows Explorer to use. I
> was worried that my hard drives were dead, but if i use Internet Explorer or
> Mozilla to access the drives, to send something as an attachment I can see
> all my files right where they are supposed to be. I tried to use several
> restore points and they didn't correct the problem. I had windows check the
> registry and nothing, no problems. I used Symantec to scan the computer and
> no problems. So now i have no idea what to do.
> To make it even better, I am currently in the People's Republic of China so
> Vista is hard to come by and even harder to find someone who has even used it
> before. I have had 2 guys from the Chinese version of GEEKSQUAD have a go at
> it and they did absolutely nothing. Nothing even works in safe mode. If
> someone has a solution HELP!

You're pretty well stuck at this point after downloading probably some
dodgy codecs from that website. Windows is seriously infected and
damaged now.

Your laptop probably has a function to restore it to factory condition
without a disk. You press a key at startup to begin the factory restore.
Refer to the laptop mftr.'s website for details. Back up your data onto
external media and return the machine to factory condition. Do not
restore the data to your clean machine without scanning it with a
current version antivirus using updated definitions.

If your laptop doesn't have the special partition so you can restore to
factory condition without a physical disk, you'll need to call the
laptop mftr. and have them send you the physical restore disks.

IMO there is no way you will get out of this except by doing a clean
install/restore to factory condition.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers