You need permission to perform this action!! to copy a file to a directory with Admin rights

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

Athena

You need permission to perform this action!! to copy a file to a directory with Admin rights
Hello,

I use Vista Business. I have admin privileges as a user in my home
computer. I have a directory that I created called Utilities where I keep
programs such as WinZip etc.. I have many such directories under it. Now I
cannot copy files (or any other action) into any directory within this
directory !!! Vista complains that I need permission to perform this action.
I checked my user rights it seems to be OK (although hard to interpret). I
can copy the same files to any other directory. I did not set any special
rights to this directory intentionally. I tried both UAC on and off. What's
going on? There are some programs people are discussing on the internet like
"TakeOwn" and "icacls" to recover ownership of files, but I could not use
them properly. Please I'd like to control a directory I created with Admin
rights.

Thank you,

Athena

Microsoft MVP Member

Jacee will become famous soon enoughJacee will become famous soon enough
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
You can download the script ( double click on it, then click Yes to merge) or copy the code, click 'save as' (the type), then do the above.

Take ownership in Vista (.vbs script) - WinCert.net Forums
__________________
MS-MVP Windows-Security 2006 ~ 2009
uvbogden

Re: You need permission to perform this action!! to copy a file to
To modify (copy, delete, rename) files or folders you can take Ownership of
(in your Username) and grant yourself Full Control permissions of the files
or folders in question described in the following tutorial. I recommend
doing this for large branches in your directory, like doing this for the
Program Files folder and all folders and files under it so you have Full
Control of all your programs.

Another way to gain access to modify files and folders includes going to the
Start button, typing in Windows Explorer, right-clicking on this and
selecting Run As Administrator. You should then have "elevated privileges"
to do whatever you wish to files in Windows Explorer. There is also a
program called Unlocker that you can use to gain access to modify files and
folders (see link below).

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/67...ship-file.html

http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/

"Jacee" wrote:

> You can download the script ( double click on it, then click Yes to
> merge) or copy the code, click 'save as' (the type), then do the above.
>
> 'Take ownership in Vista (.vbs script) - WinCert.net Forums'
> (http://www.wincert.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=742)
>

> --
> Jacee
>
> *MS-MVP Windows-Security 2006 & 2007*

Jon Lind

Re: You need permission to perform this action!! to copy a file to
I have tried taking ownership, the permissions are set to "Full Control" for
the account I'm using (Administrator) and I have tried opening an explorer
window with Admin privileges. I still cannot do a simple copy and paste of
files.

"uvbogden" wrote:

> To modify (copy, delete, rename) files or folders you can take Ownership of
> (in your Username) and grant yourself Full Control permissions of the files
> or folders in question described in the following tutorial. I recommend
> doing this for large branches in your directory, like doing this for the
> Program Files folder and all folders and files under it so you have Full
> Control of all your programs.
>
> Another way to gain access to modify files and folders includes going to the
> Start button, typing in Windows Explorer, right-clicking on this and
> selecting Run As Administrator. You should then have "elevated privileges"
> to do whatever you wish to files in Windows Explorer. There is also a
> program called Unlocker that you can use to gain access to modify files and
> folders (see link below).
>
> http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/67...ship-file.html
>
> http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/
>

> "Jacee" wrote:
>

> > You can download the script ( double click on it, then click Yes to
> > merge) or copy the code, click 'save as' (the type), then do the above.
> >
> > 'Take ownership in Vista (.vbs script) - WinCert.net Forums'
> > (http://www.wincert.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=742)
> >

> > --
> > Jacee
> >
> > *MS-MVP Windows-Security 2006 & 2007*

uvbogden

Re: You need permission to perform this action!! to copy a file to
In the Control Panel, click on User Accounts and be sure your username
account is an administrator type account. Also be sure you're not trying to
access junction "folders" such as "My Documents" or "My Music" as these are
only redirecting junctions and not real folders in Vista.