secpol.msc

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

jake

secpol.msc
I know secpol.msc doesn't exist in vista home. My question is, will it work
if I copy from vista business to vista home edition. thanks
Carey Frisch [MVP]

Re: secpol.msc
No.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"jake" <jake@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:06975908-C558-4338-AD0A-1341BF054245@microsoft.com...
I know secpol.msc doesn't exist in vista home. My question is, will it work
if I copy from vista business to vista home edition. thanks
Andreas Stenhall

Re: secpol.msc
Most settings that you set using those different secpol.msc, gpedit.msc etc
are just plain registry settings. If you provide me with the settings you
are trying to change I will look into what registry key to change to make
the setting work even on the Home versions of Vista!

/Andreas
Blogging about the experiences with XP, Vista and Server 2008
www.theexperienceblog.com

"jake" <jake@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I know secpol.msc doesn't exist in vista home. My question is, will it work
> if I copy from vista business to vista home edition. thanks

Andreas Stenhall

Re: secpol.msc
Most settings that you set using those different secpol.msc, gpedit.msc etc
are just plain registry settings. If you provide me with the settings you
are trying to change I will look into what registry key to change to make
the setting work even on the Home versions of Vista!

/Andreas
Blogging about the experiences with XP, Vista and Server 2008
www.theexperienceblog.com

"jake" <jake@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I know secpol.msc doesn't exist in vista home. My question is, will it work
> if I copy from vista business to vista home edition. thanks

JEDD.JARVIS is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I need to do this too
I have Vista Home and need to run secpol.msc per the instructions here in order to access a Bytecc NAS.

Could someone provide a list of the corresponding registry changes?

Thanks!

ArcyQwerty is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEDD.JARVIS View Post
I have Vista Home and need to run secpol.msc per the instructions here in order to access a Bytecc NAS.

Could someone provide a list of the corresponding registry changes?

Thanks!
Here is the entry straight from Microsoft's site:

Computer Configuration\Windows Settings\Local Policies\Security Options

Network security: LAN Manager authentication level
Windows XP SP2, Windows Server 2003

"Network security: LAN Manager authentication level

This security setting determines which challenge/response authentication protocol is used for network logons. This choice affects the level of authentication protocol used by clients, the level of session security negotiated, and the level of authentication accepted by servers as follows:

Send LM & NTLM responses: Clients use LM and NTLM authentication and never use NTLMv2 session security; domain controllers accept LM, NTLM, and NTLMv2 authentication.
Send LM & NTLM - use NTLMv2 session security if negotiated: Clients use LM and NTLM authentication and use NTLMv2 session security if the server supports it; domain controllers accept LM, NTLM, and NTLMv2 authentication.
Send NTLM response only: Clients use NTLM authentication only and use NTLMv2 session security if the server supports it; domain controllers accept LM, NTLM, and NTLMv2 authentication.
Send NTLMv2 response only: Clients use NTLMv2 authentication only and use NTLMv2 session security if the server supports it; domain controllers accept LM, NTLM, and NTLMv2 authentication.
Send NTLMv2 response only\\refuse LM: Clients use NTLMv2 authentication only and use NTLMv2 session security if the server supports it; domain controllers refuse LM (accept only NTLM and NTLMv2 authentication).
Send NTLMv2 response only\\refuse LM & NTLM: Clients use NTLMv2 authentication only and use NTLMv2 session security if the server supports it; domain controllers refuse LM and NTLM (accept only NTLMv2 authentication).

Important

This setting can affect the ability of computers running Windows 2000 Server, Windows 2000 Professional, Windows XP Professional, and the Windows Server 2003 family to communicate with computers running Windows NT 4.0 and earlier over the network. For example, at the time of this writing, computers running Windows NT 4.0 SP4 and earlier did not support NTLMv2. Computers running Windows 95 and Windows 98 did not support NTLM.

Default:

Send LM & NTLM responses on server.
Undefined on workstations."

MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa\LmCom patibilityLevel