Defender Failed 0x800106ba-0x80092003

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

graydog7

Defender Failed 0x800106ba-0x80092003

I turned on my Vista64 PC today to find that Defender has decided to
stop working!

It pops up a message with error number 0x800106ba.

A search of the knowledgebase advises removing Defender and
re-installing with Run>appwiz.cpl but when I do this "Defender" isn't in
the list of installed programs.

It isn't in the "Turn Windows features on or off" section either.

Running the WindowsDefender installer package just says it's already
installed and doesn't offer Repair/Uninstall options.

Starting the Defender service through "Computer Management" fails and
produces an 0x80092003 error which is an error relating to reading or
writing to a file.

I feel this problem has been introduced by an Automatic Update as
nothing else has changed since yesterday.

Anyone else having this problem?

Thanks GH

--
graydog7
Engel

RE: Defender Failed 0x800106ba-0x80092003
You might try this. Go to the main Windows Update window and
click on "Installed Updates" (on the left-hand side of the window, at the
bottom), and then remove "Update for Microsoft Windows (KB931099)" (only).
Reboot. Reboot again. Go back to Windows Update, and re-install the same
update, by clicking on the Check for Updates button.

This should essentially re-install Windows Defender on Vista.

-

"graydog7" wrote:

> I turned on my Vista64 PC today to find that Defender has decided to
> stop working!
>
> It pops up a message with error number 0x800106ba.
>
> A search of the knowledgebase advises removing Defender and
> re-installing with Run>appwiz.cpl but when I do this "Defender" isn't in
> the list of installed programs.
>
> It isn't in the "Turn Windows features on or off" section either.
>
> Running the WindowsDefender installer package just says it's already
> installed and doesn't offer Repair/Uninstall options.
>
> Starting the Defender service through "Computer Management" fails and
> produces an 0x80092003 error which is an error relating to reading or
> writing to a file.
>

> I feel this problem has been introduced by an Automatic Update as
> nothing else has changed since yesterday.
>
> Anyone else having this problem?
>
> Thanks GH
>

> --
> graydog7

graydog7

Engel;478568 Wrote:
> You might try this. Go to the main Windows Update window and
> click on "Installed Updates" (on the left-hand side of the window, at
> the
> bottom), and then remove "Update for Microsoft Windows (KB931099)"
> (only).
> Reboot. Reboot again. Go back to Windows Update, and re-install the
> same
> update, by clicking on the Check for Updates button.
>

> This should essentially re-install Windows Defender on Vista.

Hi Engel

I saw your advice here in an earlier Post. Gave it a go, but It hasn't
fixed the problem.

Also tried a system restore, but the earliest resotre point now seems
to be immediately after the offending update!

GH

--
graydog7
Engel

Re: Defender Failed 0x800106ba-0x80092003
Troubleshooting Windows Defender

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555957
- --

"graydog7" wrote:

> Engel;478568 Wrote:
> > You might try this. Go to the main Windows Update window and
> > click on "Installed Updates" (on the left-hand side of the window, at
> > the
> > bottom), and then remove "Update for Microsoft Windows (KB931099)"
> > (only).
> > Reboot. Reboot again. Go back to Windows Update, and re-install the
> > same
> > update, by clicking on the Check for Updates button.
> >

> > This should essentially re-install Windows Defender on Vista.
> >

> Hi Engel
>
> I saw your advice here in an earlier Post. Gave it a go, but It hasn't
> fixed the problem.
>
> Also tried a system restore, but the earliest resotre point now seems
> to be immediately after the offending update!
>
> GH
>

> --
> graydog7

graydog7

Engel;478883 Wrote:
> Troubleshooting Windows Defender
>
> 'Troubleshooting Windows Defender'
> (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555957)
> - --
>
> "graydog7" wrote:

Tried many things. Your link above mainly relates to XP as most of the
steps don't apply to Vista64 and those that do have no effect.

I'm getting this error now:

"application failed to initialize: 0x800106ba. The RPC server is
unavailable."

What a Crock! I've wasted the whole day trying to resolve this issue
that seems to be the result of an Automatic Update!

All I can do now is disable Defender in MSCONFIG and
wait.....ZZZZzzzzzzz

--
graydog7
bongodrumm

Re: Defender Failed 0x800106ba-0x80092003

try this...

click start, and in the search box type " services ", and check that
windows defender is set to automatic

--
bongodrumm
Mvgratz

graydog7;478497 Wrote:
> I turned on my Vista64 PC today to find that Defender has decided to
> stop working!
>
> It pops up a message with error number 0x800106ba.
>
> A search of the knowledgebase advises removing Defender and
> re-installing with Run>appwiz.cpl but when I do this "Defender" isn't in
> the list of installed programs.
>
> It isn't in the "Turn Windows features on or off" section either.
>
> Running the WindowsDefender installer package just says it's already
> installed and doesn't offer Repair/Uninstall options.
>
> Starting the Defender service through "Computer Management" fails and
> produces an 0x80092003 error which is an error relating to reading or
> writing to a file.
>

> I feel this problem has been introduced by an Automatic Update as
> nothing else has changed since yesterday.
>
> Anyone else having this problem?
>
> Thanks GH

I had the same problem after upgradeing from Vista32 bit to Vista64
bit. Here's what I did to fix mine;
1. Click start
2.

--
Mvgratz
Ray Luca

Mvgratz <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote:

>I had the same problem after upgradeing from Vista32 bit to Vista64
>bit. Here's what I did to fix mine;
>1. Click start
>2.

You're a GENIUS!!!
Ray Barnes

Re: Defender Failed 0x800106ba-0x80092003

Use the admin settings to check the manuel or auto run settings and fix
the error in windows defender by changing the way it runs. Auto or
manuel and then reset back to run atuomatic at startup of system start.

--
Ray Barnes
shirli

Re: Defender Failed 0x800106ba-0x80092003
windows defender error 0x800106ba keeps popping up.. i don't know what to do..
i have no clue how this happend and what to do....help