Windows live one care safety scanner

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

Andlie Coll

Windows live one care safety scanner
I have used the online windows live one care safety scanner (beta version for
Vista) a couple of times and found it rather useful. (I have not subscribed
to it but it says it is a free online service that you can go back and use
any time you want)
I added it to my favourites but when I go to it now it will not launch the
scanner. It prompts me to download the safety scanner testtesttest which I do
(although it is already sitting in my programs list from the previous times
using it) then it invites me to launch scanner and when I do it returns to
the page prompting me to install the safety scanner. Round and round it goes.
I would appreciate any help or suggestions. Thanks in advance guys.
Engel

RE: Windows live one care safety scanner
Hello Andlie,

This might help;

As always, you should make sure that you have got a working system restore
point before you run any test, download or install a new game, application,
or software update, you make changes to your computer.

I would suggest staying on the side of caution... Use System Restore to Undo
Changes if Problems Occur

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...emrestore.mspx
- --

Reboot into Safe Mode (F-8)
In safe mode, some of the protective services which these programs use to
ensure that they aren't removed, are not running, so they are easier to
remºve.

Getting into Windows Safe Mode.
http://www.computerhope.com/issues/chsafe.htm
- --

In Safe Mode
Suggest cleaning up the system (clearing out all the Temp/Tmp folders, and
included all offline content, clearing the browser TIF, Delete Cookies , do a
Disk CleanUp.

Click the Start button . In the Search box, type Disk Cleanup, and then, in
the list of results, click Disk Cleanup.
- -- --
In Safe Mode
Empty user and system "temp" folders.

Go to Start > Run > copy and paste the below into the Open: line

%temp%
delete the contents of the %temp% folder .

%windir%\temp
delete the contents of the %windir%\temp folder
- --
Delete files and folders on C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\Download and try
again the scan after a reboot.

Its OK to delete the items in the Download folder, but NOT the download
folder itself.

Reboot to normal.
- --
Try again the online scanL

I hope this post is helpful.

Let us know how it works ºut.
-

OneCare html support forums
http://www.answers.com/%20OneCare%20...pport%20forums
--

"Andlie Coll" wrote:

> I have used the online windows live one care safety scanner (beta version for
> Vista) a couple of times and found it rather useful. (I have not subscribed
> to it but it says it is a free online service that you can go back and use
> any time you want)
> I added it to my favourites but when I go to it now it will not launch the
> scanner. It prompts me to download the safety scanner testtesttest which I do
> (although it is already sitting in my programs list from the previous times
> using it) then it invites me to launch scanner and when I do it returns to
> the page prompting me to install the safety scanner. Round and round it goes.
> I would appreciate any help or suggestions. Thanks in advance guys.

StephenB

Andlie Coll <AndlieColl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I have used the online windows live one care safety scanner (beta version for
>Vista) a couple of times and found it rather useful. (I have not subscribed
>to it but it says it is a free online service that you can go back and use
>any time you want)
>I added it to my favourites but when I go to it now it will not launch the
>scanner. It prompts me to download the safety scanner testtesttest which I do
>(although it is already sitting in my programs list from the previous times
>using it) then it invites me to launch scanner and when I do it returns to
>the page prompting me to install the safety scanner. Round and round it goes.
>I would appreciate any help or suggestions. Thanks in advance guys.

The Safety Scanner is launching an ActiveX control to run. It may be worth
clearing out downloaded program files via your browser settings.
The OneCare Safety Scanner has a web based community here:
http://boards.live.com/safetyboards/...px?BoardID=225

-steve
--
Stephen Boots
Microsoft MVP - Windows Live
Andlie Coll

RE: Windows live one care safety scanner
Hello Engel.
Thanks for your offer of assistance. I tried everything you suggested 'to a
tee' and the same thing happens. Sorry. (Also StephenB if you are reading
this I also uninstalled the scanner in programs and removed the activeX
control in my browser, to no avail)
However because of your help I know see that there a couple of speciality
'onecare' forums available that might have an angle.
Finally Engel what would you suggest I do with all of the files I deleted as
per your instruction now? Is it worth permanently removing them from the
recycle bin or is a system restore the order of the day now? Cheers guys.

"Engel" wrote:

> [...]
> --
>

> "Andlie Coll" wrote:
>
> > I have used the online windows live one care safety scanner (beta version for
> > Vista) a couple of times and found it rather useful. (I have not subscribed
> > to it but it says it is a free online service that you can go back and use
> > any time you want)
> > I added it to my favourites but when I go to it now it will not launch the
> > scanner. It prompts me to download the safety scanner testtesttest which I do
> > (although it is already sitting in my programs list from the previous times
> > using it) then it invites me to launch scanner and when I do it returns to
> > the page prompting me to install the safety scanner. Round and round it goes.
> > I would appreciate any help or suggestions. Thanks in advance guys.

Engel

RE: Windows live one care safety scanner
Hi Andlie,

Sorry I couldn't have been more help to you.

You can empty the recycle, you have a peace of mind with the restore point.

If you don't thrust the SRP with your PC, restore the files from the recycle
bin.

Those files are safe to be deleted.

God luck and thanks for posting back.
- -- --

"Andlie Coll" wrote:

> [...]
> > http://www.answers.com/%20OneCare%20...pport%20forums
> > --
> >

> > "Andlie Coll" wrote:
> >
> > > I have used the online windows live one care safety scanner (beta version for
> > > Vista) a couple of times and found it rather useful. (I have not subscribed
> > > to it but it says it is a free online service that you can go back and use
> > > any time you want)
> > > I added it to my favourites but when I go to it now it will not launch the
> > > scanner. It prompts me to download the safety scanner testtesttest which I do
> > > (although it is already sitting in my programs list from the previous times
> > > using it) then it invites me to launch scanner and when I do it returns to
> > > the page prompting me to install the safety scanner. Round and round it goes.
> > > I would appreciate any help or suggestions. Thanks in advance guys.

ralph kramden

Re: Windows live one care safety scanner

Same problem of the loop. Safety Scan for Windows Vista (beta) is
evidently no longer operational.

--
ralph kramden