i cant fax!!

mselisabeth30

i cant fax!!
i just bought a dell e521 computer with vista home premium. it works ok. im
told that it has an internal fax modem inside called dell pc fax so i bought
a dell all in one photo 926 printer with all the capabilities. my dilemma is
that i cannot use the fax. every time i try to send a fax it says failed
connection or no dial tone. i have no idea what to do. i have dsl. i dont
know what im doing wrong. i would also like to know how the faxing works.
does it go through my regular phone number?? do i have to get another
number??? please help....
Cal Bear '66

Re: i cant fax!!
You do not have to get a dedicated phone line, but, yes faxing requires a
regular phone connection.

--
I Bleed Blue and Gold
GO BEARS!

"mselisabeth30" <mselisabeth30@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>i just bought a dell e521 computer with vista home premium. it works ok. im
> told that it has an internal fax modem inside called dell pc fax so i bought
> a dell all in one photo 926 printer with all the capabilities. my dilemma is
> that i cannot use the fax. every time i try to send a fax it says failed
> connection or no dial tone. i have no idea what to do. i have dsl. i dont
> know what im doing wrong. i would also like to know how the faxing works.
> does it go through my regular phone number?? do i have to get another
> number??? please help....

computerchallengedcc

RE: i cant fax!!
I think your telephone has to be connected to your dsl to your computer.

"mselisabeth30" wrote:

> i just bought a dell e521 computer with vista home premium. it works ok. im
> told that it has an internal fax modem inside called dell pc fax so i bought
> a dell all in one photo 926 printer with all the capabilities. my dilemma is
> that i cannot use the fax. every time i try to send a fax it says failed
> connection or no dial tone. i have no idea what to do. i have dsl. i dont
> know what im doing wrong. i would also like to know how the faxing works.
> does it go through my regular phone number?? do i have to get another
> number??? please help....

computerchallengedcc

RE: i cant fax!!
I believe you have to have your telephone connected to your dsl to your pc.
i am sure someone else can explain how the three must be connected.

"mselisabeth30" wrote:

> i just bought a dell e521 computer with vista home premium. it works ok. im
> told that it has an internal fax modem inside called dell pc fax so i bought
> a dell all in one photo 926 printer with all the capabilities. my dilemma is
> that i cannot use the fax. every time i try to send a fax it says failed
> connection or no dial tone. i have no idea what to do. i have dsl. i dont
> know what im doing wrong. i would also like to know how the faxing works.
> does it go through my regular phone number?? do i have to get another
> number??? please help....

Cal Bear '66

Re: i cant fax!!
The same line that goes to your telephone must be split to go to your telephone
and your fax, do not use the DSL line that goes to your computer to connect to
the fax.

--
I Bleed Blue and Gold
GO BEARS!

"computerchallengedcc" <computerchallengedcc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:2F761A64-A738-4882-9192-37E965DBD7E0@microsoft.com...
>I believe you have to have your telephone connected to your dsl to your pc.
> i am sure someone else can explain how the three must be connected.
>
> "mselisabeth30" wrote:
>
>> i just bought a dell e521 computer with vista home premium. it works ok. im
>> told that it has an internal fax modem inside called dell pc fax so i bought
>> a dell all in one photo 926 printer with all the capabilities. my dilemma is
>> that i cannot use the fax. every time i try to send a fax it says failed
>> connection or no dial tone. i have no idea what to do. i have dsl. i dont
>> know what im doing wrong. i would also like to know how the faxing works.
>> does it go through my regular phone number?? do i have to get another
>> number??? please help....

Mac

Re: i cant fax!!
In other words connect the fax modem via a dsl filter to the telephone line.
You might need to use a socket doubler to split your telephone line...

"Cal Bear '66" <xxx@xxx.org> wrote in message
> The same line that goes to your telephone must be split to go to your
> telephone and your fax, do not use the DSL line that goes to your computer
> to connect to the fax.
>
> --
> I Bleed Blue and Gold
> GO BEARS!
>

> "computerchallengedcc" <computerchallengedcc@discussions.microsoft.com>
> wrote in message
>>I believe you have to have your telephone connected to your dsl to your
>>pc.
>> i am sure someone else can explain how the three must be connected.
>>
>> "mselisabeth30" wrote:
>>
>>> i just bought a dell e521 computer with vista home premium. it works ok.
>>> im
>>> told that it has an internal fax modem inside called dell pc fax so i
>>> bought
>>> a dell all in one photo 926 printer with all the capabilities. my
>>> dilemma is
>>> that i cannot use the fax. every time i try to send a fax it says failed
>>> connection or no dial tone. i have no idea what to do. i have dsl. i
>>> dont
>>> know what im doing wrong. i would also like to know how the faxing
>>> works.
>>> does it go through my regular phone number?? do i have to get another
>>> number??? please help....

mselisabeth30

Re: i cant fax!!
thank you for replying. what you said was very helpful although it leaves me
more confused. the fax modem is in the computer. it is not standalone. i have
no idea how not to use the dsl line. it is all i have. could you possibly
explain it a little more. i would really appreciate it. thanx.

"Cal Bear '66" wrote:

> The same line that goes to your telephone must be split to go to your telephone
> and your fax, do not use the DSL line that goes to your computer to connect to
> the fax.
>
> --
> I Bleed Blue and Gold
> GO BEARS!
>

> "computerchallengedcc" <computerchallengedcc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message news:2F761A64-A738-4882-9192-37E965DBD7E0@microsoft.com...
> >I believe you have to have your telephone connected to your dsl to your pc.
> > i am sure someone else can explain how the three must be connected.
> >
> > "mselisabeth30" wrote:
> >
> >> i just bought a dell e521 computer with vista home premium. it works ok. im
> >> told that it has an internal fax modem inside called dell pc fax so i bought
> >> a dell all in one photo 926 printer with all the capabilities. my dilemma is
> >> that i cannot use the fax. every time i try to send a fax it says failed
> >> connection or no dial tone. i have no idea what to do. i have dsl. i dont
> >> know what im doing wrong. i would also like to know how the faxing works.
> >> does it go through my regular phone number?? do i have to get another
> >> number??? please help....

Cal Bear '66

Re: i cant fax!!
I assume that you have only one telephone line coming in to your home, yes?

If so, then there is a splitter/filter that is attached to your phone line
coming into your home that filters out the frequencies used by DSL and sends
that line to your regular telephone. The other line (probably Ethernet with a
plug that looks like a telephone plug, but larger, goes to the Ethernet adapter
on your DSL modem which in turn is connected to the Ethernet adapter on your
computer and allows you to use DSL to connect to the internet for surfing and
e-mail.

The line that goes to your regular telephone must be split (via an adapter
available from Radio Shack, Best Buy, Circuit City, etc for less than $10.00),
then using a regular telephone cord, with regular telephone plugs on both ends,
you would connect to the telephone plug on your internal fax modem. Your fax
number would be the same as your regular telephone number.

If you have a dedicated DSL line AND a dedicated phone line coming into your
home, then you would split the regular telephone line to go both to your
telephone and to your fax modem.

--

> thank you for replying. what you said was very helpful although it leaves me
> more confused. the fax modem is in the computer. it is not standalone. i have
> no idea how not to use the dsl line. it is all i have. could you possibly
> explain it a little more. i would really appreciate it. thanx.
>
> "Cal Bear '66" wrote:
>
>> The same line that goes to your telephone must be split to go to your
>> telephone
>> and your fax, do not use the DSL line that goes to your computer to connect
>> the fax.
>>
>> --
>> I Bleed Blue and Gold
>> GO BEARS!
>>

>> "computerchallengedcc" <computerchallengedcc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
>> in
>> message news:2F761A64-A738-4882-9192-37E965DBD7E0@microsoft.com...
>> >I believe you have to have your telephone connected to your dsl to your pc.
>> > i am sure someone else can explain how the three must be connected.

Cal Bear '66

Re: i cant fax!!
Sorry, I don't have DSL (I have cable), but after reading my post, I realize
that the splitter/filter, probably has two regular telephone lines coming out of
it -- one to your telephone and one to your DSL modem. Just leave the line to
your DSL modem ALONE and ONLY split the line going to your telephone.

--
I Bleed Blue and Gold
GO BEARS!

>I assume that you have only one telephone line coming in to your home, yes?
>
> If so, then there is a splitter/filter that is attached to your phone line
> coming into your home that filters out the frequencies used by DSL and sends
> that line to your regular telephone. The other line (probably Ethernet with a
> plug that looks like a telephone plug, but larger, goes to the Ethernet
> adapter on your DSL modem which in turn is connected to the Ethernet adapter
> on your computer and allows you to use DSL to connect to the internet for
> surfing and e-mail.
>
> The line that goes to your regular telephone must be split (via an adapter
> available from Radio Shack, Best Buy, Circuit City, etc for less than $10.00),
> then using a regular telephone cord, with regular telephone plugs on both
> ends, you would connect to the telephone plug on your internal fax modem. Your
> fax number would be the same as your regular telephone number.
>
> If you have a dedicated DSL line AND a dedicated phone line coming into your
> home, then you would split the regular telephone line to go both to your
> telephone and to your fax modem.
>
> --
> I Bleed Blue and Gold
> GO BEARS!
>

> "mselisabeth30" <mselisabeth30@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> thank you for replying. what you said was very helpful although it leaves me
>> more confused. the fax modem is in the computer. it is not standalone. i have
>> no idea how not to use the dsl line. it is all i have. could you possibly
>> explain it a little more. i would really appreciate it. thanx.
>>
>> "Cal Bear '66" wrote:
>>
>>> The same line that goes to your telephone must be split to go to your
>>> telephone
>>> and your fax, do not use the DSL line that goes to your computer to connect
>>> the fax.
>>>
>>> --
>>> I Bleed Blue and Gold
>>> GO BEARS!
>>>

>>> "computerchallengedcc" <computerchallengedcc@discussions.microsoft.com>
>>> wrote in
>>> message news:2F761A64-A738-4882-9192-37E965DBD7E0@microsoft.com...

mselisabeth30

Re: i cant fax!!
thank you soooooo much!!! i really appreciate you helping me. i will
definitely try to work on this issue and if its ok with you i will let you
kow how it turns out. if i can fax..you will be my new best friend.