2 parallel printers on a PC without LPT ports

Marco Pizzamiglio

2 parallel printers on a PC without LPT ports
My PC (MB Asus P5B deluxe) comes without parallel ports. It runs
windows Vista.
I've got 2 printers with parallel port only: HP Deskjet 1220 and HP
Laserjet 2200dt
Vista drivers for that printers are available on HP web site.

Which is the best way to connect the printers?
I've found the D-link DP-300U ethernet print server (2 LPT + 1 USB),
but Vista is not listed in the supported OS, i don't know if it will
work anyway.
Thanks.
-Marco-

huwyngr

Re: 2 parallel printers on a PC without LPT ports
The most direct way if it is a desktop is to buy a PCI card (if those
are the I/O slots you have) with two parallel ports. They are cheap.
I've used Syba from NewEgg -- just check tht it is VISTA compatible.

Otherwise a printer server with two ports would seem to be good and
available to other computers if you end up with more than one.

The DJ1220 only has the driver for VISTA that is "in the box" ie that
comes as part of VISTA. However you run the risk that it is not fully
featured to do all the printer is capable of doing.

Here's the document HP have on installing for it:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/g...e=c00868762&cc
=us&dlc=en&lc=en&jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN

I have a LJ 2200d and it works fine; there is fully featured HP
software you can download for it.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport...Index.jsp?lang
=en&cc=us&prodNameId=28868&prodTypeId=18972&prodSe riesId=28861&swLang=8
&taskId=135&swEnvOID=2093

You may need the PCL driver and the Easycare software to get everything
working -- I think the latter includes the HP Toolkit that is needed.

I no longer remember enough about PCL to know the difference between
PCL 5 and PCL 6. People who could tell you, I'm sure if noone here
chips in with the information, would be in:

www.desktoppublishingforum.com

I hope that helps.

Marco Pizzamiglio

On 16 Giu, 04:07, huwyngr <Hugh_Wyn_Griff...@simpilot.net> wrote:
> The most direct way if it is a desktop is to buy a PCI card (if those
> are the I/O slots you have) with two parallel ports. They are cheap.
> I've used Syba from NewEgg -- just check tht it is VISTA compatible.
>
> Otherwise a printer server with two ports would seem to be good and
> available to other computers if you end up with more than one.
>
> The DJ1220 only has the driver for VISTA that is "in the box" ie that
> comes as part of VISTA. However you run the risk that it is not fully
> featured to do all the printer is capable of doing.
>
> Here's the document HP have on installing for it:
>
> http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/g...e=c00868762&cc
> =us&dlc=en&lc=en&jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN
>
> I have a LJ 2200d and it works fine; there is fully featured HP
> software you can download for it.
>
> http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport...Index.jsp?lang
> =en&cc=us&prodNameId=28868&prodTypeId=18972&prodSe riesId=28861&swLang=8
> &taskId=135&swEnvOID=2093
>
> You may need the PCL driver and the Easycare software to get everything
> working -- I think the latter includes the HP Toolkit that is needed.
>
> I no longer remember enough about PCL to know the difference between
> PCL 5 and PCL 6. People who could tell you, I'm sure if noone here
> chips in with the information, would be in:
>
> www.desktoppublishingforum.com
>
> I hope that helps.

I tried with the old PCI parallel card taken from the old PC (Win2K),
but Vista couldn't recognize it, asks for drivers. The card model or
manufacturer are not printed on it, I don't know how to find the
drivers.
The print server is more expensive but makes the printers available to
the notebook even when the main PC is powered off.
I think I'll look for a print server vith 2 LPT, making care in
finding one surely compatible with Vista. I still havn't found a print
server certified Vista compliant.
As soon as possible I'll look at the links you gave.
Thanks a lot.
-M-

huwyngr

Re: 2 parallel printers on a PC without LPT ports
Look forward to hearing how you get on -- once you havae more than one
PC the server is a good solution.

Marco Pizzamiglio

On 21 Giu, 19:03, huwyngr <Hugh_Wyn_Griff...@simpilot.net> wrote:
> Look forward to hearing how you get on -- once you havae more than one
> PC the server is a good solution.

The print server works fine even on Vista. On the D-Link website there
is a page "Vista compatibility" where all the print servers are
certified Vista compliant as they don't need drivers.
I just had to add one or more new TCP/IP ports and configure them
following instructions.
Bye.
-Marco-

huwyngr

Re: 2 parallel printers on a PC without LPT ports
Glad you resolved it.