Slow print dialogue

ChrisOlley

Slow print dialogue
I have a Dell AMD dual core 4200 with 2MB RAM running Vista Home premium. It
is connected to a wired windows home network setup with 4 PCs running windows
XP home. Generally the speed of the system e.g. internet is acceptable.
However, office software runs slowly. Notably I am running word 2002. While
editing quite small documents the system pauses, showing the waiting circle
for a couple of seconds before returning. Most notably, the print dialogue
takes 12 seconds before it appears. (The printers are attached to an XP Home
machine). I have installed openoffice2.2 and word 2003 and uninstalled (them
afterwards) and they all behave pretty much the same ie. generally slow and
very slow print dialogue.
chris

RE: Slow print dialogue
i have the same problem, my network has 5 xp pc's wireless connected, and
printing dialogue speed has always been ok, but now i have connected a vista
machine and printing a page is hell, dialogues won't appear for about a
minute and printing a page while adjusting the settings takes about forever.
when i attach the printer to the vista machine, all goes well, locally and
wireless with xp machines.
i have already posted this but no reply came, maybe we'll just have to ask
bill's boys about this, cause in my office environment this delay is
unacceptable (sorry for spelling mistakes, i'm from belgium)

"ChrisOlley" wrote:

> I have a Dell AMD dual core 4200 with 2MB RAM running Vista Home premium. It
> is connected to a wired windows home network setup with 4 PCs running windows
> XP home. Generally the speed of the system e.g. internet is acceptable.
> However, office software runs slowly. Notably I am running word 2002. While
> editing quite small documents the system pauses, showing the waiting circle
> for a couple of seconds before returning. Most notably, the print dialogue
> takes 12 seconds before it appears. (The printers are attached to an XP Home
> machine). I have installed openoffice2.2 and word 2003 and uninstalled (them
> afterwards) and they all behave pretty much the same ie. generally slow and
> very slow print dialogue.

ChrisOlley

RE: Slow print dialogue
I've found a solution. You must uninstall the printer driver that was
downloaded automatically from the XP machine the printer is connected to.
Then download a new Vista driver for the printer on the Vista machine. On the
Vista machine choose to add a new printer, but make it a local printer. When
asked which port, create a new port. Give it the location of the printer i.e.
\\computername\\printername (if you can't work this out, choose to add a
network printer, browse for the printer you want, then copy the location when
you've found it. Then you can go back to add a local printer and paste the
location into the port name). I did this and all problems are cured. The word
processor runs fast and the printing is fast. Hope this helps.

"chris" wrote:

> i have the same problem, my network has 5 xp pc's wireless connected, and
> printing dialogue speed has always been ok, but now i have connected a vista
> machine and printing a page is hell, dialogues won't appear for about a
> minute and printing a page while adjusting the settings takes about forever.
> when i attach the printer to the vista machine, all goes well, locally and
> wireless with xp machines.
> i have already posted this but no reply came, maybe we'll just have to ask
> bill's boys about this, cause in my office environment this delay is
> unacceptable (sorry for spelling mistakes, i'm from belgium)
>
> "ChrisOlley" wrote:
>
> > I have a Dell AMD dual core 4200 with 2MB RAM running Vista Home premium. It
> > is connected to a wired windows home network setup with 4 PCs running windows
> > XP home. Generally the speed of the system e.g. internet is acceptable.
> > However, office software runs slowly. Notably I am running word 2002. While
> > editing quite small documents the system pauses, showing the waiting circle
> > for a couple of seconds before returning. Most notably, the print dialogue
> > takes 12 seconds before it appears. (The printers are attached to an XP Home
> > machine). I have installed openoffice2.2 and word 2003 and uninstalled (them
> > afterwards) and they all behave pretty much the same ie. generally slow and
> > very slow print dialogue.

chris

RE: Slow print dialogue
great, but it took me about 2 hours to succeed !
first, as you suggested to change the driver, i found that the driver for
vista was the same that is included with the system
second, i tried to install the printer locally creating a new port, and gave
the location in the printing dialogue (wrong, as i found out later). this
resulted in an error when i chose a usb port, and no error when i chose a
local port, but then no page was printed, weard isn't it
now for the sollution : add a printer - as administrator !!!!! - take a new
port and name it \\Bureau\hppsc220 (as you mentionend, but when done not as a
administrator, \\ signs were not allowed to input, so i thought i had to put
the port adress somewhere else. And now the test page came out directly, and
dialogues are vivid, problem solved !
Thanks for your help

chris

"ChrisOlley" wrote:

> I've found a solution. You must uninstall the printer driver that was
> downloaded automatically from the XP machine the printer is connected to.
> Then download a new Vista driver for the printer on the Vista machine. On the
> Vista machine choose to add a new printer, but make it a local printer. When
> asked which port, create a new port. Give it the location of the printer i.e.
> \\computername\\printername (if you can't work this out, choose to add a
> network printer, browse for the printer you want, then copy the location when
> you've found it. Then you can go back to add a local printer and paste the
> location into the port name). I did this and all problems are cured. The word
> processor runs fast and the printing is fast. Hope this helps.
>
> "chris" wrote:
>
> > i have the same problem, my network has 5 xp pc's wireless connected, and
> > printing dialogue speed has always been ok, but now i have connected a vista
> > machine and printing a page is hell, dialogues won't appear for about a
> > minute and printing a page while adjusting the settings takes about forever.
> > when i attach the printer to the vista machine, all goes well, locally and
> > wireless with xp machines.
> > i have already posted this but no reply came, maybe we'll just have to ask
> > bill's boys about this, cause in my office environment this delay is
> > unacceptable (sorry for spelling mistakes, i'm from belgium)
> >
> > "ChrisOlley" wrote:
> >
> > > I have a Dell AMD dual core 4200 with 2MB RAM running Vista Home premium. It
> > > is connected to a wired windows home network setup with 4 PCs running windows
> > > XP home. Generally the speed of the system e.g. internet is acceptable.
> > > However, office software runs slowly. Notably I am running word 2002. While
> > > editing quite small documents the system pauses, showing the waiting circle
> > > for a couple of seconds before returning. Most notably, the print dialogue
> > > takes 12 seconds before it appears. (The printers are attached to an XP Home
> > > machine). I have installed openoffice2.2 and word 2003 and uninstalled (them
> > > afterwards) and they all behave pretty much the same ie. generally slow and
> > > very slow print dialogue.

Kiwi John

RE: Slow print dialogue
Brilliant. Thanks for that. 2 minutes and all works well.