A few questions about spool files and faxing

Nicolas Caron

A few questions about spool files and faxing
Hello

I have 2 unrelated questions about Windows Vista. Thanks in advance
for the answers.

1) I know that the whole print spooling has been rewritten and uses XPS
format files now. Well we have an application that checks and analyses
the files that are in the Spool directory when printing on Windows
2000, XP, 2003. Is there a way to set the printing system in Vista to
output the same type of files that were used in older Windows version
(these are EMF files if I'm not mistaken??)

2) We have developped an application that sends faxes through the
FaxSendDocument API, Is this API (and other Fax related APIs) still
supported in Windows Vista? And if so, has there been any major changes
in the way they behave?

Thanks

--
"So we are told this is the golden age, and gold is the reason for the
wars we wage" - U2, New year's day
Alan Morris [MSFT]

Re: A few questions about spool files and faxing
1 the spooler was not rewritten. XPS support was added. All inbox drivers
except the XPS driver use EMF. Most vendor drivers use emf spooling

2 no clue

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team

"Nicolas Caron" <caronnNO@SPAMca.objectiflune.com> wrote in message
> Hello
>
> I have 2 unrelated questions about Windows Vista. Thanks in advance
> for the answers.
>
> 1) I know that the whole print spooling has been rewritten and uses XPS
> format files now. Well we have an application that checks and analyses
> the files that are in the Spool directory when printing on Windows
> 2000, XP, 2003. Is there a way to set the printing system in Vista to
> output the same type of files that were used in older Windows version
> (these are EMF files if I'm not mistaken??)
>
> 2) We have developped an application that sends faxes through the
> FaxSendDocument API, Is this API (and other Fax related APIs) still
> supported in Windows Vista? And if so, has there been any major changes
> in the way they behave?
>
> Thanks
>

> --
> "So we are told this is the golden age, and gold is the reason for the
> wars we wage" - U2, New year's day

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Re: A few questions about spool files and faxing
From the developers:

#1: The vast majority of spool files should still be EMF. XPS is (currently)
used only from managed (.NET) applications or by specific drivers, and from
your perspective they are just RAW files.

#2 FaxSendDocument should work the way it works today. There are some
changes in the function design and the way files are archived in the fax
server. But from the user stand point, everything should work smoothly.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]