Windows vista and hp deskjet 940c

Bex king

Windows vista and hp deskjet 940c
PLease help! I'm not the most tech minded person. I have just got a new
Packard Bell laptop and it won't recognise my old HP Deskjet 940c Printer. I
am connecting the printer through a parallel cable and Laptop on the usb
port. When i go tthe HP Website it says i don't have to download anything it
is already on the lap top. Butnothing is happening any ideas?
Tim

Re: Windows vista and hp deskjet 940c
Maybe it's just a typo...but could you explain in more detail what kind of
cable you are using to connect from your printer to your laptop? Your post
implies you are using a parallel cable to a USB connector...that's not
possible. From what I remember, the 940c has both connectors...which one are
you using?

Does the printer print a test page properly?

Tim

"Bex king" <Bex king@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> PLease help! I'm not the most tech minded person. I have just got a new
> Packard Bell laptop and it won't recognise my old HP Deskjet 940c Printer.
> am connecting the printer through a parallel cable and Laptop on the usb
> port. When i go tthe HP Website it says i don't have to download anything
> it
> is already on the lap top. Butnothing is happening any ideas?

Bex king

Re: Windows vista and hp deskjet 940c
Hi,
I have bought a USB Parallel printer cable. Parallel in the printer and i
put it in one of my 4 usb ports. The printer doesn't print a test page when
asked to on installing the printer buti have done a test with HP and the
printer works fine.

"Tim" wrote:

> Maybe it's just a typo...but could you explain in more detail what kind of
> cable you are using to connect from your printer to your laptop? Your post
> implies you are using a parallel cable to a USB connector...that's not
> possible. From what I remember, the 940c has both connectors...which one are
> you using?
>
> Does the printer print a test page properly?
>
> Tim
>
> "Bex king" <Bex king@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > PLease help! I'm not the most tech minded person. I have just got a new
> > Packard Bell laptop and it won't recognise my old HP Deskjet 940c Printer.
> > am connecting the printer through a parallel cable and Laptop on the usb
> > port. When i go tthe HP Website it says i don't have to download anything
> > it
> > is already on the lap top. Butnothing is happening any ideas?

Tim

Re: Windows vista and hp deskjet 940c
OK...now I get it. Sorry. I've never tried one of those adapter-type cables.
Any reason you aren't using the USB port on the 940c? From what I can tell
from HP's web site, the printer has a USB port.

> Hi,
> I have bought a USB Parallel printer cable. Parallel in the printer and i
> put it in one of my 4 usb ports. The printer doesn't print a test page
> when
> asked to on installing the printer buti have done a test with HP and the
> printer works fine.
>
> "Tim" wrote:
>
>> Maybe it's just a typo...but could you explain in more detail what kind
>> of
>> cable you are using to connect from your printer to your laptop? Your
>> post
>> implies you are using a parallel cable to a USB connector...that's not
>> possible. From what I remember, the 940c has both connectors...which one
>> are
>> you using?
>>
>> Does the printer print a test page properly?
>>
>> Tim
>>
>> "Bex king" <Bex king@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > PLease help! I'm not the most tech minded person. I have just got a
>> > new
>> > Packard Bell laptop and it won't recognise my old HP Deskjet 940c
>> > Printer.
>> > am connecting the printer through a parallel cable and Laptop on the
>> > usb
>> > port. When i go tthe HP Website it says i don't have to download
>> > anything
>> > it
>> > is already on the lap top. Butnothing is happening any ideas?

huwyngr

Re: Windows vista and hp deskjet 940c
In article <6C1B171E-3340-42A9-BBCC-0C3678C49DC6@microsoft.com>, Bex
king wrote:

> I have bought a USB Parallel printer cable.

Feedback I get indicates there are often problems with these.

As Tim asks -- why not use the USB port on the printer?