Unable to Add Printer

kenincher

Unable to Add Printer
I am using Vista 32Bit Ultimate. I am logged in as administrator. File and
Printer sharing is turned on.

I want to install a local parallel port printer. It's an NEC Superscript
1800.

With everything connected and powered on, Vista does not recognize the
printer.

When I go to Setting>Printers and right click and select "Add Printer," I
get the following error:

"This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this
computer. Please contact your system administrator."

I have no idea what to do next.

Thank you,

Ken Incher

Cari \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Unable to Add Printer
Is the Printer Spooler running?

http://www.coribright.com/windows/Article_Nine.htm

Also see:
http://www.softwaretipsandtricks.com...-computer.html
--
Cari (MS-MVP)

"kenincher" <kenincher@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am using Vista 32Bit Ultimate. I am logged in as administrator. File
>and
> Printer sharing is turned on.
>
> I want to install a local parallel port printer. It's an NEC Superscript
> 1800.
>
> With everything connected and powered on, Vista does not recognize the
> printer.
>
> When I go to Setting>Printers and right click and select "Add Printer," I
> get the following error:
>
> "This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this
> computer. Please contact your system administrator."
>
> I have no idea what to do next.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Ken Incher

Cindy

RE: Unable to Add Printer
I can't get my lexmark to install either. I went to lexmark to down load
driver for vista and it wouldn't complete download even after i turned off
security software.

"kenincher" wrote:

> I am using Vista 32Bit Ultimate. I am logged in as administrator. File and
> Printer sharing is turned on.
>
> I want to install a local parallel port printer. It's an NEC Superscript
> 1800.
>
> With everything connected and powered on, Vista does not recognize the
> printer.
>
> When I go to Setting>Printers and right click and select "Add Printer," I
> get the following error:
>
> "This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this
> computer. Please contact your system administrator."
>
> I have no idea what to do next.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Ken Incher

Alan Morris [MSFT]

Re: Unable to Add Printer
this sounds like the policy that disables Add Printer is enabled

gpedit.msc

User config
Admin templates
Control panel
Printers
Prevent addition of printers.

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team

"kenincher" <kenincher@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am using Vista 32Bit Ultimate. I am logged in as administrator. File
>and
> Printer sharing is turned on.
>
> I want to install a local parallel port printer. It's an NEC Superscript
> 1800.
>
> With everything connected and powered on, Vista does not recognize the
> printer.
>
> When I go to Setting>Printers and right click and select "Add Printer," I
> get the following error:
>
> "This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this
> computer. Please contact your system administrator."
>
> I have no idea what to do next.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Ken Incher

AcaCandy

Re: Unable to Add Printer

I know this is an old thread, but has anyone solved this problem?

--
AcaCandy
Malke

Re: Unable to Add Printer
AcaCandy wrote:

> I know this is an old thread, but has anyone solved this problem?

Unfortunately no one can help you because we can't see the thread to which
you refer. This is because you are not posting on a real forum as you think
you are and you didn't quote any of the thread to which you are replying.
You are using a web interface that leeches Usenet posts and most of the
rest of us are using real newsreaders. We don't see what you do. If you
want to participate in Usenet, the better way is to set up a newsreader.
This is very easy to do and I'll give you information about that below. If
you prefer to use a forum, then here are two excellent ones:

http://forum.aumha.org/index.php
http://http://computerhaven.info/

Since you are using a web interface, you may not realize that this is really
a newsgroup. You will get far more out of this resource if you learn to use
a newsreader. There are many good newsreaders for Windows, but you can use
Outlook Express (XP) or Windows Mail (Vista) since you already have it.
Here are some links to information about newsgroups:

About Usenet:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usenet
http://www.faqs.org/faqs/ - Usenet FAQs from the Internet FAQ Archives
http://www.usenetmonster.com/infocenter/
http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/page2.html#Usenet - a brief explanation
of newsgroups

Outlook Express/Windows Mail as Newsreader:
http://michaelstevenstech.com/outloo...snewreader.htm
http://rickrogers.org/setupoe.htm
http://vistasupport.mvps.org/accessi...ndows_mail.htm

How to Post:
http://users.tpg.com.au/bzyhjr/liszt.htm - How Not to Get Technical Help on
Usenet

microsoft.public.test.here - MS group to test if your newsreader is working
properly
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/munad.htm - how to munge email address
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crossposting - crossposting
http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/mul_crss.htm - multiposting

Other Newsreaders for Windows:
http://www.forteinc.com/main/homepage.php - Forte
http://www.mozilla.org - Thunderbird

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

Flavius

Re: Unable to Add Printer

AcaCandy;932156 Wrote:
> I know this is an old thread, but has anyone solved this problem?

Yes
http://www.vistax64.com/general-disc...tml#post854047

--
Flavius
AcaCandy

Re: Unable to Add Printer

Thank you. I'm trying to assist someone else. Hopefully that will work.

--
AcaCandy
AcaCandy

Re: Unable to Add Printer

It was tried and apparently killed Internet Explorer. So a system
restore was done. But, the add printer function did work.

Any idea why IE would have been an issue?

--
AcaCandy