Printbrmui.exe not found, Printmangement.msc not found

Jdplus3

Printbrmui.exe not found, Printmangement.msc not found
In Windows XP, I used the printer migrator program to copy printer settings
from one workstation to another. in Vista, you now use Printbrmui.exe

When I try this, it tells me that I do not have printer administrative
rights. How do I set that up? I have read that I need to install a
printserver role? if so how?

Also, from the control panel > administrative functions > if I click on
Printmanager, I am told that the path to printmanager.msc is not found. how
can I get this installed.
I have the business OEM edition (upgrade from XP)
thanks!
Alan Morris [MSFT]

Re: Printbrmui.exe not found, Printmangement.msc not found
in system32, you should find

printmanagement.msc
pmcsnap.dll
puiobj.dll
printbrmui.exe

in \system32\spool\tools
printbrm.exe (command line tool).
printbrmengine.exe

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team

"Jdplus3" <Jdplus3@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> In Windows XP, I used the printer migrator program to copy printer
> settings
> from one workstation to another. in Vista, you now use Printbrmui.exe
>
> When I try this, it tells me that I do not have printer administrative
> rights. How do I set that up? I have read that I need to install a
> printserver role? if so how?
>
> Also, from the control panel > administrative functions > if I click on
> Printmanager, I am told that the path to printmanager.msc is not found.
> how
> can I get this installed.
> I have the business OEM edition (upgrade from XP)
> thanks!

Jdplus3

Re: Printbrmui.exe not found, Printmangement.msc not found
Alan, thank you for the quick response.
Yes, all those files are present in the right places. However even if I go
to the system32 folder and click directly on printmanagement.msc I guet
"c\windows\system32\printmanagment.msc - The specified path does not exist.
check the path and then try again." is there a path variable somewhere I may
fix?

Also any ideas on the Printbrmui.exe program, when I run it and indicate
that I want to back up the local machine, it says "migration of print server
information requires administrator priviledges on the print server"- which I
should have.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated!
Jim

"Alan Morris [MSFT]" wrote:

> in system32, you should find
>
> printmanagement.msc
> pmcsnap.dll
> puiobj.dll
> printbrmui.exe
>
> in \system32\spool\tools
> printbrm.exe (command line tool).
> printbrmengine.exe
>
> --
> Alan Morris
> Windows Printing Team

> "Jdplus3" <Jdplus3@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > In Windows XP, I used the printer migrator program to copy printer
> > settings
> > from one workstation to another. in Vista, you now use Printbrmui.exe
> >
> > When I try this, it tells me that I do not have printer administrative
> > rights. How do I set that up? I have read that I need to install a
> > printserver role? if so how?
> >
> > Also, from the control panel > administrative functions > if I click on
> > Printmanager, I am told that the path to printmanager.msc is not found.
> > how
> > can I get this installed.
> > I have the business OEM edition (upgrade from XP)
> > thanks!

Jdplus3

Re: Printbrmui.exe not found, Printmangement.msc not found
actually this now looks like a bigger overall system path problem: if I go to
my computer properties and try to look at the advanced system settings, I
similary get ".....\systempropertiesadvanced.exe the specified path does not
exist. I guess I need a back door way to set the system path in the
registry????
Jim
--
Rainbow Pediatrics, fairly knowledgable in Windows through XP

"Alan Morris [MSFT]" wrote:

> in system32, you should find
>
> printmanagement.msc
> pmcsnap.dll
> puiobj.dll
> printbrmui.exe
>
> in \system32\spool\tools
> printbrm.exe (command line tool).
> printbrmengine.exe
>
> --
> Alan Morris
> Windows Printing Team

> "Jdplus3" <Jdplus3@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > In Windows XP, I used the printer migrator program to copy printer
> > settings
> > from one workstation to another. in Vista, you now use Printbrmui.exe
> >
> > When I try this, it tells me that I do not have printer administrative
> > rights. How do I set that up? I have read that I need to install a
> > printserver role? if so how?
> >
> > Also, from the control panel > administrative functions > if I click on
> > Printmanager, I am told that the path to printmanager.msc is not found.
> > how
> > can I get this installed.
> > I have the business OEM edition (upgrade from XP)
> > thanks!

Alan Morris [MSFT]

Re: Printbrmui.exe not found, Printmangement.msc not found
printbrmui needs to run in an elevated session. I normally start this in an
elevated cmd window (or from Print Management, err).

in an elevated command window type
SET

look through the path information

--

> actually this now looks like a bigger overall system path problem: if I go
> my computer properties and try to look at the advanced system settings, I
> similary get ".....\systempropertiesadvanced.exe the specified path does
> not
> exist. I guess I need a back door way to set the system path in the
> registry????
> Jim
> --
> Rainbow Pediatrics, fairly knowledgable in Windows through XP
>

> "Alan Morris [MSFT]" wrote:
>
>> in system32, you should find
>>
>> printmanagement.msc
>> pmcsnap.dll
>> puiobj.dll
>> printbrmui.exe
>>
>> in \system32\spool\tools
>> printbrm.exe (command line tool).
>> printbrmengine.exe
>>
>> --
>> Alan Morris
>> Windows Printing Team

>> rights.
>>
>> "Jdplus3" <Jdplus3@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > In Windows XP, I used the printer migrator program to copy printer
>> > settings
>> > from one workstation to another. in Vista, you now use Printbrmui.exe
>> >
>> > When I try this, it tells me that I do not have printer administrative
>> > rights. How do I set that up? I have read that I need to install a
>> > printserver role? if so how?
>> >
>> > Also, from the control panel > administrative functions > if I click on
>> > Printmanager, I am told that the path to printmanager.msc is not found.
>> > how
>> > can I get this installed.
>> > I have the business OEM edition (upgrade from XP)
>> > thanks!

Jdplus3

Re: Printbrmui.exe not found, Printmangement.msc not found
SET command does work, and shows a path to include \system32 etc
appropriately. now I am really stuck. I cannot figure out why Vista cannot
find these programs. thanks though...
--

"Alan Morris [MSFT]" wrote:

> printbrmui needs to run in an elevated session. I normally start this in an
> elevated cmd window (or from Print Management, err).
>
> in an elevated command window type
> SET
>

> look through the path information
>

> --
> Alan Morris
> Windows Printing Team

> "Jdplus3" <Jdplus3@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > actually this now looks like a bigger overall system path problem: if I go
> > my computer properties and try to look at the advanced system settings, I
> > similary get ".....\systempropertiesadvanced.exe the specified path does
> > not
> > exist. I guess I need a back door way to set the system path in the
> > registry????
> > Jim
> > --
> > Rainbow Pediatrics, fairly knowledgable in Windows through XP
> >

> > "Alan Morris [MSFT]" wrote:
> >
> >> in system32, you should find
> >>
> >> printmanagement.msc
> >> pmcsnap.dll
> >> puiobj.dll
> >> printbrmui.exe
> >>
> >> in \system32\spool\tools
> >> printbrm.exe (command line tool).
> >> printbrmengine.exe
> >>
> >> --
> >> Alan Morris
> >> Windows Printing Team
> >> Search the Microsoft Knowledge Base here:
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;[ln];kbhowto

> >> rights.

Jdplus3

Re: Printbrmui.exe not found, Printmangement.msc not found
SOLUTION:
Ok. Vista could find and run, from an elevated cmd prompt PrintBrmUi.exe. It
could NOT find printmanagement.msc though. so it is an association problem
with *.msc files.

The Pathext= line does not show msc. I retyped it using
SET PATHEXT= [retyped all];.MSC
That let me run those MSC programs, but did NOT save the change on reboot.
so, I did that again, and then when to Computer> Properties > advanced system
settings (which would now run but would not before) > Environment variables >
and added it to the PATHEXT variable there. I think that will do it now.
will keep you all posted.