Vista Network Print Server Problems

duckhunter

Vista Network Print Server Problems
Hi can anyone help me. I am a little bit computer literate. Here is my
prob. Trying to us my vista business laptop to print via a roline usb print
server which is plugged in to my router. I install as per the instructions
using a local port then need to add a network printer port. Vista will not
let me add this port even though it is in the selection list. Also if I try
do it uisng tcp/ip I can not choose the configuration option. Yes I am logged
on as the administrator. I do know how to set up the priner server as I have
done this in the past using a pc and laptop both running windows xp.

Has anyone else had this prob. If so can you please explain in basic terms
how I may by able te rectify this prob as it is driving me crazy.

Let me know if i need to try and explain this better.

Thanks
Alan Morris [MSFT]

Re: Vista Network Print Server Problems
You need to request elevated privilege even as admin to change settings on
the printer.

Use Printmanagement.msc to modify the printer and port settings. Print
Management in Administration Tools.

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team

"duckhunter" <duckhunter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi can anyone help me. I am a little bit computer literate. Here is my
> prob. Trying to us my vista business laptop to print via a roline usb
> print
> server which is plugged in to my router. I install as per the
> instructions
> using a local port then need to add a network printer port. Vista will
> not
> let me add this port even though it is in the selection list. Also if I
> try
> do it uisng tcp/ip I can not choose the configuration option. Yes I am
> logged
> on as the administrator. I do know how to set up the priner server as I
> have
> done this in the past using a pc and laptop both running windows xp.
>
> Has anyone else had this prob. If so can you please explain in basic
> terms
> how I may by able te rectify this prob as it is driving me crazy.
>
> Let me know if i need to try and explain this better.
>
> Thanks

duckhunter

Re: Vista Network Print Server Problems
Thanks Alan

I have just tried what you said thru print management but it will still not
let me add a network print port. The option is still there but does nothing.
Any other suggestions?

"Alan Morris [MSFT]" wrote:

> You need to request elevated privilege even as admin to change settings on
> the printer.
>
> Use Printmanagement.msc to modify the printer and port settings. Print
> Management in Administration Tools.
>
> --
> Alan Morris
> Windows Printing Team

> "duckhunter" <duckhunter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi can anyone help me. I am a little bit computer literate. Here is my
> > prob. Trying to us my vista business laptop to print via a roline usb
> > print
> > server which is plugged in to my router. I install as per the
> > instructions
> > using a local port then need to add a network printer port. Vista will
> > not
> > let me add this port even though it is in the selection list. Also if I
> > try
> > do it uisng tcp/ip I can not choose the configuration option. Yes I am
> > logged
> > on as the administrator. I do know how to set up the priner server as I
> > have
> > done this in the past using a pc and laptop both running windows xp.
> >
> > Has anyone else had this prob. If so can you please explain in basic
> > terms
> > how I may by able te rectify this prob as it is driving me crazy.
> >
> > Let me know if i need to try and explain this better.
> >
> > Thanks

Alan Morris [MSFT]

Re: Vista Network Print Server Problems
Where you prompted for Admin elevation when opening print management?

Network port to me means the Standard TCP/IP Port. If there is 3rd party
software for the port you'd need to check with the vendor.

Ports, right click, Add Port does nothing or are you selecting something
and that does nothing?

--

> Thanks Alan
>
> I have just tried what you said thru print management but it will still
> not
> let me add a network print port. The option is still there but does
> nothing.
> Any other suggestions?
>
> "Alan Morris [MSFT]" wrote:
>
>> You need to request elevated privilege even as admin to change settings
>> on
>> the printer.
>>
>> Use Printmanagement.msc to modify the printer and port settings. Print
>> Management in Administration Tools.
>>
>> --
>> Alan Morris
>> Windows Printing Team

>> rights.
>>
>> "duckhunter" <duckhunter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi can anyone help me. I am a little bit computer literate. Here is
>> > my
>> > prob. Trying to us my vista business laptop to print via a roline usb
>> > print
>> > server which is plugged in to my router. I install as per the
>> > instructions
>> > using a local port then need to add a network printer port. Vista will
>> > not
>> > let me add this port even though it is in the selection list. Also if
>> > try
>> > do it uisng tcp/ip I can not choose the configuration option. Yes I am
>> > logged
>> > on as the administrator. I do know how to set up the priner server as I
>> > have
>> > done this in the past using a pc and laptop both running windows xp.
>> >
>> > Has anyone else had this prob. If so can you please explain in basic
>> > terms
>> > how I may by able te rectify this prob as it is driving me crazy.
>> >
>> > Let me know if i need to try and explain this better.
>> >
>> > Thanks

duckhunter

Re: Vista Network Print Server Problems
Yes I was promted to choose continue on user control account when opening
print managment.

When I choose add port a list of 3 options come up which include the
following, Local Port, Network Port and Standard TCP/IP Port. I need to
double click on Network Port but nothing happens and the only thing I can do
is cancel out of the selection list.

I am so frustrated. Would it be better to purchase a router which has an
inbuilt printer server. If this is so can you recommend one that will work.

"Alan Morris [MSFT]" wrote:

> Where you prompted for Admin elevation when opening print management?
>
> Network port to me means the Standard TCP/IP Port. If there is 3rd party
> software for the port you'd need to check with the vendor.
>
> Ports, right click, Add Port does nothing or are you selecting something
> and that does nothing?
>

> --
> Alan Morris
> Windows Printing Team

> "duckhunter" <duckhunter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thanks Alan
> >
> > I have just tried what you said thru print management but it will still
> > not
> > let me add a network print port. The option is still there but does
> > nothing.
> > Any other suggestions?
> >
> > "Alan Morris [MSFT]" wrote:
> >
> >> You need to request elevated privilege even as admin to change settings
> >> on
> >> the printer.
> >>
> >> Use Printmanagement.msc to modify the printer and port settings. Print
> >> Management in Administration Tools.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Alan Morris
> >> Windows Printing Team
> >> Search the Microsoft Knowledge Base here:
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;[ln];kbhowto

> >> rights.

Alan Morris [MSFT]

Re: Vista Network Print Server Problems
Network Port is 3rd party. You need to contact the vendor.

What is the model of the roline? print server?

--

> Yes I was promted to choose continue on user control account when opening
> print managment.
>
> When I choose add port a list of 3 options come up which include the
> following, Local Port, Network Port and Standard TCP/IP Port. I need to
> double click on Network Port but nothing happens and the only thing I can
> do
> is cancel out of the selection list.
>
> I am so frustrated. Would it be better to purchase a router which has an
> inbuilt printer server. If this is so can you recommend one that will
> work.
>
> "Alan Morris [MSFT]" wrote:
>
>> Where you prompted for Admin elevation when opening print management?
>>
>> Network port to me means the Standard TCP/IP Port. If there is 3rd party
>> software for the port you'd need to check with the vendor.
>>
>> Ports, right click, Add Port does nothing or are you selecting
>> something
>> and that does nothing?
>>

>> --
>> Alan Morris
>> Windows Printing Team

>> rights.
>>
>> "duckhunter" <duckhunter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Thanks Alan
>> >
>> > I have just tried what you said thru print management but it will still
>> > not
>> > let me add a network print port. The option is still there but does
>> > nothing.
>> > Any other suggestions?

duckhunter

Re: Vista Network Print Server Problems
Hi Alan

I did not know that network print port was third party. I am learning new
things all the time. The model is Roline compact size usb 1.1 printer
server. Think the actual model number is 25.15.6308.

"Alan Morris [MSFT]" wrote:

> Network Port is 3rd party. You need to contact the vendor.
>
> What is the model of the roline? print server?
>
> --
> Alan Morris
> Windows Printing Team

> "duckhunter" <duckhunter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Yes I was promted to choose continue on user control account when opening
> > print managment.
> >
> > When I choose add port a list of 3 options come up which include the
> > following, Local Port, Network Port and Standard TCP/IP Port. I need to
> > double click on Network Port but nothing happens and the only thing I can
> > do
> > is cancel out of the selection list.
> >
> > I am so frustrated. Would it be better to purchase a router which has an
> > inbuilt printer server. If this is so can you recommend one that will
> > work.
> >
> > "Alan Morris [MSFT]" wrote:
> >
> >> Where you prompted for Admin elevation when opening print management?
> >>
> >> Network port to me means the Standard TCP/IP Port. If there is 3rd party
> >> software for the port you'd need to check with the vendor.
> >>
> >> Ports, right click, Add Port does nothing or are you selecting
> >> something
> >> and that does nothing?
> >>

> >> --
> >> Alan Morris
> >> Windows Printing Team
> >> Search the Microsoft Knowledge Base here:
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;[ln];kbhowto

> >> rights.

duckhunter

Re: Vista Network Print Server Problems
Hi Alan

The previous number I supplied was the order number. The actual model
number is RPU-110P.

"duckhunter" wrote:

> Hi Alan
>
> I did not know that network print port was third party. I am learning new
> things all the time. The model is Roline compact size usb 1.1 printer
> server. Think the actual model number is 25.15.6308.
>

> "Alan Morris [MSFT]" wrote:
>
> > Network Port is 3rd party. You need to contact the vendor.
> >
> > What is the model of the roline? print server?
> >
> > --
> > Alan Morris
> > Windows Printing Team
> > Search the Microsoft Knowledge Base here:
> > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;[ln];kbhowto

> > "duckhunter" <duckhunter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Yes I was promted to choose continue on user control account when opening
> > > print managment.
> > >
> > > When I choose add port a list of 3 options come up which include the
> > > following, Local Port, Network Port and Standard TCP/IP Port. I need to
> > > double click on Network Port but nothing happens and the only thing I can
> > > do
> > > is cancel out of the selection list.
> > >
> > > I am so frustrated. Would it be better to purchase a router which has an
> > > inbuilt printer server. If this is so can you recommend one that will
> > > work.

duckhunter

Re: Vista Network Print Server Problems
Hi Alan

I am very happy to say that I can now print. Don't understand why but
managed to get to work with tcp/ip and then using lpr with a set name which I
found from the long and exhausting manual which seemed like I was reading
chinese.

thanks for your previous help

"duckhunter" wrote:

> Hi Alan
>
> The previous number I supplied was the order number. The actual model
> number is RPU-110P.
>
> "duckhunter" wrote:
>
> > Hi Alan
> >
> > I did not know that network print port was third party. I am learning new
> > things all the time. The model is Roline compact size usb 1.1 printer
> > server. Think the actual model number is 25.15.6308.
> >

> > "Alan Morris [MSFT]" wrote:
> >
> > > Network Port is 3rd party. You need to contact the vendor.
> > >
> > > What is the model of the roline? print server?
> > >
> > > --
> > > Alan Morris
> > > Windows Printing Team
> > > Search the Microsoft Knowledge Base here:
> > > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;[ln];kbhowto
> > >
> > > This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Alan Morris [MSFT]

Re: Vista Network Print Server Problems
Thanks for the update. Those manuals come in handy sometimes.