More Print Problems from Visata to xp

ChipperS

More Print Problems from Visata to xp
Message: I am trying to print from Vista home to an xp machine and get access
denied messages. I found kb 934643 which gives instructions for changing
permissions on the spool file, however when I attempted the recommended
solution, step 4 says "click to clear the Use simple file shareing check
box..." I do not have that option at all. I checked carefully and I was
definitely looking in the Advanced settting box as indicated on the
instructions. When I proceeded any way to step 8, the sharing options for
the spool folder are not available with a message that the folder is used by
the system.

Is there any way that I can make this work?

Alan Morris [MSFT]

Re: More Print Problems from Visata to xp
Home or Pro?

Pro should be able to change the setting with the UI.

If you are getting access denied while making a connection the problem is
with the print$ share on the XP machine.

If you get access denied sending data you need to add permissions to the
spool directory.

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team

"ChipperS" <ChipperS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Message: I am trying to print from Vista home to an xp machine and get
> access
> denied messages. I found kb 934643 which gives instructions for changing
> permissions on the spool file, however when I attempted the recommended
> solution, step 4 says "click to clear the Use simple file shareing check
> box..." I do not have that option at all. I checked carefully and I was
> definitely looking in the Advanced settting box as indicated on the
> instructions. When I proceeded any way to step 8, the sharing options for
> the spool folder are not available with a message that the folder is used
> by
> the system.
>
> Is there any way that I can make this work?

ChipperS

Re: More Print Problems from Visata to xp
The XP machine is XP home. The problem is when I connect. How do I find the
print$ share in xp to adjust the permissions? I did not need any changes to
the default to print from other XP machines (home and pro).
--
Regards,
Chipper

"Alan Morris [MSFT]" wrote:

> Home or Pro?
>
> Pro should be able to change the setting with the UI.
>
> If you are getting access denied while making a connection the problem is
> with the print$ share on the XP machine.
>
> If you get access denied sending data you need to add permissions to the
> spool directory.
>
> --
> Alan Morris
> Windows Printing Team

> "ChipperS" <ChipperS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Message: I am trying to print from Vista home to an xp machine and get
> > access
> > denied messages. I found kb 934643 which gives instructions for changing
> > permissions on the spool file, however when I attempted the recommended
> > solution, step 4 says "click to clear the Use simple file shareing check
> > box..." I do not have that option at all. I checked carefully and I was
> > definitely looking in the Advanced settting box as indicated on the
> > instructions. When I proceeded any way to step 8, the sharing options for
> > the spool folder are not available with a message that the folder is used
> > by
> > the system.
> >
> > Is there any way that I can make this work?

Alan Morris [MSFT]

Re: More Print Problems from Visata to xp
First verify that the Guest account is enabled in XP. This might be the
underlying problem

On XP, Start, right click Computer, Manage

System tools
Local Users and Group

check Guest is enabled

Shared Folders
Open the Shares

Verify the print$ exists and the everyone group has read access.

--

> The XP machine is XP home. The problem is when I connect. How do I find
> the
> print$ share in xp to adjust the permissions? I did not need any changes
> the default to print from other XP machines (home and pro).
> --
> Regards,
> Chipper
>

> "Alan Morris [MSFT]" wrote:
>
>> Home or Pro?
>>
>> Pro should be able to change the setting with the UI.
>>
>> If you are getting access denied while making a connection the problem is
>> with the print$ share on the XP machine.
>>
>> If you get access denied sending data you need to add permissions to the
>> spool directory.
>>
>> --
>> Alan Morris
>> Windows Printing Team

>> rights.
>>
>> "ChipperS" <ChipperS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Message: I am trying to print from Vista home to an xp machine and get
>> > access
>> > denied messages. I found kb 934643 which gives instructions for
>> > changing
>> > permissions on the spool file, however when I attempted the recommended
>> > solution, step 4 says "click to clear the Use simple file shareing
>> > check
>> > box..." I do not have that option at all. I checked carefully and I
>> > was
>> > definitely looking in the Advanced settting box as indicated on the
>> > instructions. When I proceeded any way to step 8, the sharing options
>> > for
>> > the spool folder are not available with a message that the folder is
>> > used
>> > by
>> > the system.
>> >
>> > Is there any way that I can make this work?

ChipperS

Re: More Print Problems from Visata to xp
I enabled the guest account (although this seems like a bad requirement for a
security minded person) and checked the share which is there. The system
would not let me see or modify security. The message says the file is used
by the operating system. Went back to the Vista machine and had the same
problem, no output. If I try to connect from control panel, networks I get a
message that says access denied.

I can send a print from word and it all looks fine, except the document
never prints.

The xp machine in question will not upgrade to sp2. Everytime I try I get
error messages and the install automatically rolls back. (in case this is
relevant)

Any more ideas?
--
Regards,
Chipper

"Alan Morris [MSFT]" wrote:

> First verify that the Guest account is enabled in XP. This might be the
> underlying problem
>
> On XP, Start, right click Computer, Manage
>
> System tools
> Local Users and Group
>
> check Guest is enabled
>
> Shared Folders
> Open the Shares
>
> Verify the print$ exists and the everyone group has read access.
>
> --
> Alan Morris
> Windows Printing Team

> "ChipperS" <ChipperS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > The XP machine is XP home. The problem is when I connect. How do I find
> > the
> > print$ share in xp to adjust the permissions? I did not need any changes
> > the default to print from other XP machines (home and pro).
> > --
> > Regards,
> > Chipper
> >

> > "Alan Morris [MSFT]" wrote:
> >
> >> Home or Pro?
> >>
> >> Pro should be able to change the setting with the UI.
> >>
> >> If you are getting access denied while making a connection the problem is
> >> with the print$ share on the XP machine.
> >>
> >> If you get access denied sending data you need to add permissions to the
> >> spool directory.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Alan Morris
> >> Windows Printing Team
> >> Search the Microsoft Knowledge Base here:
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;[ln];kbhowto

> >> rights.

Alan Morris [MSFT]

Re: More Print Problems from Visata to xp
On the XP machine

open a command prompt
net stop spooler

from what ever tool or utility you like
delete the print$ share

back in the cmd window
net start spooler

Open the printers folder and unshare, reshare the printer

Verify the print$ share is back

From the Vista machine open a command window and dir \\XPmachine\print$

If it does not return access denied attempt to make the connection again.