sharing printer on XP machine trouble

Kirsten

sharing printer on XP machine trouble
I have a home network set up which has cable internet coming into the
house to the cable modem, and that then runs to a router. To the router I
have one XP computer connected wirelessly the printer is connected to
that computer. That computer is running XP Home edition. I have a new
computer running Vista Basic also connected to the router. After many hours
and much trouble I finally have the two computers networked, able to see each
other, the files and the printer. I downloaded the Vista drivers on the
Vista machine for the printer. The printer icon says it is ready. I can even
select it from the drop down menu when wanting to print a document, but as
soon as I press start I get an error
message that the document failed to print. The printer software says it
failed to connect. I have tried every suggestion that I could find on
newsgroups and on the web. Everything looks like it should work. I have
checked all permissions, securities, etc. Done everything and still it won't
print from the Vista machine to the XP machine. Dell said I could pay for
help but they also told me it should work. They also told me to move the
printer to the Vista machine. Which I will do if nobody can help me. Please
help. Thanks, Kirsten

Alan Morris [MSFT]

Re: sharing printer on XP machine trouble
Try adding the printer as a local printer. Create a Local Port with the
name \\XPMachine\Printshare (If you have spaces in the share name remove
them). Select the Dell Vista driver or reinstall the one you downloaded.

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team

"Kirsten" <Kirsten@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a home network set up which has cable internet coming into the
> house to the cable modem, and that then runs to a router. To the router I
> have one XP computer connected wirelessly the printer is connected to
> that computer. That computer is running XP Home edition. I have a new
> computer running Vista Basic also connected to the router. After many
> hours
> and much trouble I finally have the two computers networked, able to see
> each
> other, the files and the printer. I downloaded the Vista drivers on the
> Vista machine for the printer. The printer icon says it is ready. I can
> even
> select it from the drop down menu when wanting to print a document, but as
> soon as I press start I get an error
> message that the document failed to print. The printer software says it
> failed to connect. I have tried every suggestion that I could find on
> newsgroups and on the web. Everything looks like it should work. I have
> checked all permissions, securities, etc. Done everything and still it
> won't
> print from the Vista machine to the XP machine. Dell said I could pay for
> help but they also told me it should work. They also told me to move the
> printer to the Vista machine. Which I will do if nobody can help me.
> Please
> help. Thanks, Kirsten

Kirsten

Re: sharing printer on XP machine trouble
So I would create a local port with the name \\DBNS6L71\Dellphoto

"Alan Morris [MSFT]" wrote:

> Try adding the printer as a local printer. Create a Local Port with the
> name \\XPMachine\Printshare (If you have spaces in the share name remove
> them). Select the Dell Vista driver or reinstall the one you downloaded.
>

> --
> Alan Morris
> Windows Printing Team

> "Kirsten" <Kirsten@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have a home network set up which has cable internet coming into the
> > house to the cable modem, and that then runs to a router. To the router I
> > have one XP computer connected wirelessly the printer is connected to
> > that computer. That computer is running XP Home edition. I have a new
> > computer running Vista Basic also connected to the router. After many
> > hours
> > and much trouble I finally have the two computers networked, able to see
> > each
> > other, the files and the printer. I downloaded the Vista drivers on the
> > Vista machine for the printer. The printer icon says it is ready. I can
> > even
> > select it from the drop down menu when wanting to print a document, but as
> > soon as I press start I get an error
> > message that the document failed to print. The printer software says it
> > failed to connect. I have tried every suggestion that I could find on
> > newsgroups and on the web. Everything looks like it should work. I have
> > checked all permissions, securities, etc. Done everything and still it
> > won't
> > print from the Vista machine to the XP machine. Dell said I could pay for
> > help but they also told me it should work. They also told me to move the
> > printer to the Vista machine. Which I will do if nobody can help me.
> > Please
> > help. Thanks, Kirsten

Kirsten

Re: sharing printer on XP machine trouble
I renamed my XP printer so that there were no spaces. Then on the Vista
machine I did add a printer and choose local printer. When prompted I choose
add a local port and typed in \\DBNS6L71\DellPhoto Then the dialog box hung
up - not responding and that was that. No luck. Help please. Thanks,
Kirsten

"Alan Morris [MSFT]" wrote:

> Try adding the printer as a local printer. Create a Local Port with the
> name \\XPMachine\Printshare (If you have spaces in the share name remove
> them). Select the Dell Vista driver or reinstall the one you downloaded.
>

> --
> Alan Morris
> Windows Printing Team

> "Kirsten" <Kirsten@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have a home network set up which has cable internet coming into the
> > house to the cable modem, and that then runs to a router. To the router I
> > have one XP computer connected wirelessly the printer is connected to
> > that computer. That computer is running XP Home edition. I have a new
> > computer running Vista Basic also connected to the router. After many
> > hours
> > and much trouble I finally have the two computers networked, able to see
> > each
> > other, the files and the printer. I downloaded the Vista drivers on the
> > Vista machine for the printer. The printer icon says it is ready. I can
> > even
> > select it from the drop down menu when wanting to print a document, but as
> > soon as I press start I get an error
> > message that the document failed to print. The printer software says it
> > failed to connect. I have tried every suggestion that I could find on
> > newsgroups and on the web. Everything looks like it should work. I have
> > checked all permissions, securities, etc. Done everything and still it
> > won't
> > print from the Vista machine to the XP machine. Dell said I could pay for
> > help but they also told me it should work. They also told me to move the
> > printer to the Vista machine. Which I will do if nobody can help me.
> > Please
> > help. Thanks, Kirsten

Alan Morris [MSFT]

Re: sharing printer on XP machine trouble
Open a command prompt window on the Vista machine (All Programs,
Accessories)

type
net view \\DBNS6L71

you should see something like this

net view \\machine

Shared resources at \\machine

Share name Type Used as Comment

APPLE Print APPLE
MACHINE Print MACHINE
TEST9500 Print TEST9500

The command completed successfully.

next get a directory of the XP machine's print$ share

dir \\DBNS6L71\print$

send me the response to the commands.