Cannot detect scanner in Fax & Scan

Rutetuti

Cannot detect scanner in Fax & Scan
Hi,
Fax works fine with no problems but if I try to scan via Fax & Scan then I
get a "no scanners were detected..." message and there does not seem to be
any option to set a default scanner.
I have a Canon USB scanner with the latest Vista drivers and Vista Business.
The only other imaging device I have is a Logitech webcam and both are
correctly identified in device manager.

Any ideas?
Thanks

Dan [MSFT]

Re: Cannot detect scanner in Fax & Scan
Can you tell us the model of scanner it is? Basically all we'll look for
here is to see what kind of driver is available for it. Basically there are
three models, TWAIN (old), WIA and WIA2. Windows Fax and Scan will work
only with WIA and WIA2 drivers. Some hardware vendors make several drivers
for the same device so you can check that way.

If it turns out that only TWAIN is supported for your device it won't work
with Windows Fax & Scan. There are other applications that will work & if
you search this forum you'll see some suggestions.

Dan

"Rutetuti" <cbickett@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> Fax works fine with no problems but if I try to scan via Fax & Scan then I
> get a "no scanners were detected..." message and there does not seem to be
> any option to set a default scanner.
> I have a Canon USB scanner with the latest Vista drivers and Vista
> Business. The only other imaging device I have is a Logitech webcam and
> both are correctly identified in device manager.
>
> Any ideas?
> Thanks

Rutetuti

Re: Cannot detect scanner in Fax & Scan
Ah, all is revealed.
It is a Canon LiDE 60. It seems that Canon only supply TWAIN drivers. I'll
stick with scanning into Acrobat and then faxing the PDF.
Ah well, thanks anyway.

"Dan [MSFT]" <djanni@microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Can you tell us the model of scanner it is? Basically all we'll look for
> here is to see what kind of driver is available for it. Basically there
> are three models, TWAIN (old), WIA and WIA2. Windows Fax and Scan will
> work only with WIA and WIA2 drivers. Some hardware vendors make several
> drivers for the same device so you can check that way.
>
> If it turns out that only TWAIN is supported for your device it won't work
> with Windows Fax & Scan. There are other applications that will work & if
> you search this forum you'll see some suggestions.
>
> Dan
>
> "Rutetuti" <cbickett@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>> Fax works fine with no problems but if I try to scan via Fax & Scan then
>> I get a "no scanners were detected..." message and there does not seem to
>> be any option to set a default scanner.
>> I have a Canon USB scanner with the latest Vista drivers and Vista
>> Business. The only other imaging device I have is a Logitech webcam and
>> both are correctly identified in device manager.
>>
>> Any ideas?
>> Thanks

Mike Hall - MVP

Re: Cannot detect scanner in Fax & Scan
I have a similar issue re the LiDE 30.. this is what Canon USA told me..

Dear Mike Hall:

Thank you for writing back to us regarding your LiDE 30.

Globally, Canon is comprised of many different sales divisions. Each sales
division makes their own business decisions as to the products and features
they feel will help them achieve their goals and best suit their market.
Canon USA has made the decision not to include the WIA driver for older
scanners sold in this market.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Please let us know if we can be of any further assistance with your LiDE 30.

Thank you for choosing Canon.

--

Mike Hall
MS MVP Windows Shell/User

huwyngr

In article <eGii3L5pHHA.4872@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl>, Mike Hall - MVP wrote:

> Canon USA has made the decision not to include the WIA driver for older*
> scanners sold in this market.

Have you checked any of their other global sites?

We find that European and sometimes Australian sites seem to have files
not available elsewhere which would fit in with what they told you.

Mike Hall - MVP

Re: Cannot detect scanner in Fax & Scan
Certainly the wording suggests that there may well be a WIA driver available
somewhere.. I will check it out soon..

"huwyngr" <Hugh_Wyn_Griffith@simpilot.net> wrote in message
news:VA.000003b4.0025f26a@unspam.tampabay.rr.com.. .
> In article <eGii3L5pHHA.4872@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl>, Mike Hall - MVP wrote:
>
>> Canon USA has made the decision not to include the WIA driver for older
>> scanners sold in this market.

> Have you checked any of their other global sites?
>
> We find that European and sometimes Australian sites seem to have files
> not available elsewhere which would fit in with what they told you.

--

Mike Hall
MS MVP Windows Shell/User
http://msmvps.com/blogs/mikehall/