Printing from Vista to network Printer on XP

Gary

Printing from Vista to network Printer on XP
Can a PC running Vista Home Basic wirelessly print to a printer connected to
another computer on a home network that is running XP? If so, How do I set it
up. Nothing I have tried works.

Thanks
Tim

Re: Printing from Vista to network Printer on XP
Yes, it *should* be able to. Please provide more details regarding the
make/model of the hardware involved and what you have already tried. It
would save time and perhaps solve the problem quicker.

Tim

"Gary" <Gary@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Can a PC running Vista Home Basic wirelessly print to a printer connected
> another computer on a home network that is running XP? If so, How do I set
> it
> up. Nothing I have tried works.
>
> Thanks

Gary

Re: Printing from Vista to network Printer on XP
Tim,
I have a home network set up which has cable internet coming into the
house to the cable modem, and that then runs to our router. To the router I
have one computer connected with a cable, and our printer is connected to
that computer. That computer is running XP Home edition. There are three
other computers all running XP Home that connect wirelessly to the router and
can connect to that computer by "run \\computer" then connecting to the
printer. They all can print fine. My computer is running "Vista Basic'. I can
connect to any of the computers in the network including the one the printer
is connected to, by "run\\computer name" I can open the print queue and even
see when there are documents in the queue being printed from any of the other
computers. The printer is an HP 840c. I have installed an updated driver on
both the computer the printer is connected to, and also I installed it on
mine. Once the printer is found by "run\\computer, from my computer, and I
connect to it on my computer, I can even select it from the drop down menu
when wanting to print a document, but as soon as I press start I get an error
message that the document failed to print. I have tried to print from Word,
Word Pad, Notepad, Notepad2, and Notepad++ They all return the same error
message.
Thanks, Gary

"Tim" wrote:

> Yes, it *should* be able to. Please provide more details regarding the
> make/model of the hardware involved and what you have already tried. It
> would save time and perhaps solve the problem quicker.
>
> Tim
>
> "Gary" <Gary@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Can a PC running Vista Home Basic wirelessly print to a printer connected
> > another computer on a home network that is running XP? If so, How do I set
> > it
> > up. Nothing I have tried works.
> >
> > Thanks

Tim

Re: Printing from Vista to network Printer on XP
The additional information is very helpful.

I'll assume that all PCs are in the same workgroup. Rather than using the
"run\\computer" method from your Vista PC, have you run through the "Add
Printer Wizard"? If not, give that a go and post back.

> Tim,
> I have a home network set up which has cable internet coming into the
> house to the cable modem, and that then runs to our router. To the router
> have one computer connected with a cable, and our printer is connected to
> that computer. That computer is running XP Home edition. There are three
> other computers all running XP Home that connect wirelessly to the router
> and
> can connect to that computer by "run \\computer" then connecting to the
> printer. They all can print fine. My computer is running "Vista Basic'. I
> can
> connect to any of the computers in the network including the one the
> printer
> is connected to, by "run\\computer name" I can open the print queue and
> even
> see when there are documents in the queue being printed from any of the
> other
> computers. The printer is an HP 840c. I have installed an updated driver
> on
> both the computer the printer is connected to, and also I installed it on
> mine. Once the printer is found by "run\\computer, from my computer, and I
> connect to it on my computer, I can even select it from the drop down
> menu
> when wanting to print a document, but as soon as I press start I get an
> error
> message that the document failed to print. I have tried to print from
> Word,
> Word Pad, Notepad, Notepad2, and Notepad++ They all return the same error
> message.
> Thanks, Gary
>
> "Tim" wrote:
>
>> Yes, it *should* be able to. Please provide more details regarding the
>> make/model of the hardware involved and what you have already tried. It
>> would save time and perhaps solve the problem quicker.
>>
>> Tim
>>
>> "Gary" <Gary@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Can a PC running Vista Home Basic wirelessly print to a printer
>> > connected
>> > another computer on a home network that is running XP? If so, How do I
>> > set
>> > it
>> > up. Nothing I have tried works.
>> >
>> > Thanks

Alan Morris [MSFT]

Re: Printing from Vista to network Printer on XP
Are there any system eventlog entries? Also what is the exact error?

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team

"Tim" <tim_at_overthere.com> wrote in message
> The additional information is very helpful.
>
> I'll assume that all PCs are in the same workgroup. Rather than using the
> "run\\computer" method from your Vista PC, have you run through the "Add
> Printer Wizard"? If not, give that a go and post back.
>
> Tim
>
> "Gary" <Gary@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Tim,
>> I have a home network set up which has cable internet coming into the
>> house to the cable modem, and that then runs to our router. To the router
>> have one computer connected with a cable, and our printer is connected to
>> that computer. That computer is running XP Home edition. There are three
>> other computers all running XP Home that connect wirelessly to the router
>> and
>> can connect to that computer by "run \\computer" then connecting to the
>> printer. They all can print fine. My computer is running "Vista Basic'. I
>> can
>> connect to any of the computers in the network including the one the
>> printer
>> is connected to, by "run\\computer name" I can open the print queue and
>> even
>> see when there are documents in the queue being printed from any of the
>> other
>> computers. The printer is an HP 840c. I have installed an updated driver
>> on
>> both the computer the printer is connected to, and also I installed it on
>> mine. Once the printer is found by "run\\computer, from my computer, and
>> connect to it on my computer, I can even select it from the drop down
>> menu
>> when wanting to print a document, but as soon as I press start I get an
>> error
>> message that the document failed to print. I have tried to print from
>> Word,
>> Word Pad, Notepad, Notepad2, and Notepad++ They all return the same error
>> message.
>> Thanks, Gary
>>
>> "Tim" wrote:
>>
>>> Yes, it *should* be able to. Please provide more details regarding the
>>> make/model of the hardware involved and what you have already tried. It
>>> would save time and perhaps solve the problem quicker.
>>>
>>> Tim

Gary

Re: Printing from Vista to network Printer on XP
Alan,
I do not know how or where to look for the system event log entries.
please advise. The error comes up in a small box, with a little yellow
triangle with an exclamation point in it, and the message is "Failure to
print untitled". Thats all it says.

Thanks
Gary

"Alan Morris [MSFT]" wrote:

> Are there any system eventlog entries? Also what is the exact error?
>
> --
> Alan Morris
> Windows Printing Team

> "Tim" <tim_at_overthere.com> wrote in message
> > The additional information is very helpful.
> >
> > I'll assume that all PCs are in the same workgroup. Rather than using the
> > "run\\computer" method from your Vista PC, have you run through the "Add
> > Printer Wizard"? If not, give that a go and post back.
> >
> > Tim
> >
> > "Gary" <Gary@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> Tim,
> >> I have a home network set up which has cable internet coming into the
> >> house to the cable modem, and that then runs to our router. To the router
> >> have one computer connected with a cable, and our printer is connected to
> >> that computer. That computer is running XP Home edition. There are three
> >> other computers all running XP Home that connect wirelessly to the router
> >> and
> >> can connect to that computer by "run \\computer" then connecting to the
> >> printer. They all can print fine. My computer is running "Vista Basic'. I
> >> can
> >> connect to any of the computers in the network including the one the
> >> printer
> >> is connected to, by "run\\computer name" I can open the print queue and
> >> even
> >> see when there are documents in the queue being printed from any of the
> >> other
> >> computers. The printer is an HP 840c. I have installed an updated driver
> >> on
> >> both the computer the printer is connected to, and also I installed it on
> >> mine. Once the printer is found by "run\\computer, from my computer, and
> >> connect to it on my computer, I can even select it from the drop down
> >> menu
> >> when wanting to print a document, but as soon as I press start I get an
> >> error
> >> message that the document failed to print. I have tried to print from
> >> Word,
> >> Word Pad, Notepad, Notepad2, and Notepad++ They all return the same error
> >> message.
> >> Thanks, Gary

Alan Morris [MSFT]

Re: Printing from Vista to network Printer on XP
Start, Right click , Computer, Manage, Event Viewer, Windows Logs, System

So the message is from Notepad, yes?

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team

> Alan,
> I do not know how or where to look for the system event log entries.
> please advise. The error comes up in a small box, with a little yellow
> triangle with an exclamation point in it, and the message is "Failure to
> print untitled". Thats all it says.
>
> Thanks
> Gary
>
> "Alan Morris [MSFT]" wrote:
>
>> Are there any system eventlog entries? Also what is the exact error?
>>
>> --
>> Alan Morris
>> Windows Printing Team

>> rights.
>>
>> "Tim" <tim_at_overthere.com> wrote in message
>> > The additional information is very helpful.
>> >
>> > I'll assume that all PCs are in the same workgroup. Rather than using
>> > the
>> > "run\\computer" method from your Vista PC, have you run through the
>> > "Add
>> > Printer Wizard"? If not, give that a go and post back.
>> >
>> > Tim

Gary

Re: Printing from Vista to network Printer on XP
Alan,
I get the same error message if I attempt to print from. MS Word,
Wordpad, Notepad, Notepad2 (Replacement for Notepad) or Notepad++ (also a
replacement) I ran the print wizard as Tim suggested and it did not help. So
I uninstalled the printer from the host computer, and re-installed it and it
was able to print the test page. Thnaks for you advise.
Gary

"Alan Morris [MSFT]" wrote:

> Start, Right click , Computer, Manage, Event Viewer, Windows Logs, System
>
> So the message is from Notepad, yes?
>
> --
> Alan Morris
> Windows Printing Team

> "Gary" <Gary@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Alan,
> > I do not know how or where to look for the system event log entries.
> > please advise. The error comes up in a small box, with a little yellow
> > triangle with an exclamation point in it, and the message is "Failure to
> > print untitled". Thats all it says.
> >
> > Thanks
> > Gary
> >
> > "Alan Morris [MSFT]" wrote:
> >
> >> Are there any system eventlog entries? Also what is the exact error?
> >>
> >> --
> >> Alan Morris
> >> Windows Printing Team
> >> Search the Microsoft Knowledge Base here:
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;[ln];kbhowto

> >> rights.

Gary

Re: Printing from Vista to network Printer on XP
Tim,
I had already run the Add Print Wizard and got no results. So I
un-installed the printer from the host computer, and the driver I had
installed on mine, re-installed the printer with the updated driver I had and
I was able to print the test page from my computer. I have not yet tried to
print anything else from Word or Notepad yet. I am going to assume I can.
Thnkas for your advise!
Gary

"Tim" wrote:

> The additional information is very helpful.
>
> I'll assume that all PCs are in the same workgroup. Rather than using the
> "run\\computer" method from your Vista PC, have you run through the "Add
> Printer Wizard"? If not, give that a go and post back.
>
> Tim
>
> "Gary" <Gary@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Tim,
> > I have a home network set up which has cable internet coming into the
> > house to the cable modem, and that then runs to our router. To the router
> > have one computer connected with a cable, and our printer is connected to
> > that computer. That computer is running XP Home edition. There are three
> > other computers all running XP Home that connect wirelessly to the router
> > and
> > can connect to that computer by "run \\computer" then connecting to the
> > printer. They all can print fine. My computer is running "Vista Basic'. I
> > can
> > connect to any of the computers in the network including the one the
> > printer
> > is connected to, by "run\\computer name" I can open the print queue and
> > even
> > see when there are documents in the queue being printed from any of the
> > other
> > computers. The printer is an HP 840c. I have installed an updated driver
> > on
> > both the computer the printer is connected to, and also I installed it on
> > mine. Once the printer is found by "run\\computer, from my computer, and I
> > connect to it on my computer, I can even select it from the drop down
> > menu
> > when wanting to print a document, but as soon as I press start I get an
> > error
> > message that the document failed to print. I have tried to print from
> > Word,
> > Word Pad, Notepad, Notepad2, and Notepad++ They all return the same error
> > message.
> > Thanks, Gary
> >
> > "Tim" wrote:
> >
> >> Yes, it *should* be able to. Please provide more details regarding the
> >> make/model of the hardware involved and what you have already tried. It
> >> would save time and perhaps solve the problem quicker.
> >>
> >> Tim

Ed Isenberg

Re: Printing from Vista to network Printer on XP
I continue to have trouble with this type of situation. I have a Samsung
CLP-510 attached to an XP SP2 computer. I have already tried attaching the
printer directly to the Vista machine and installing the Vista drivers
successfully. I then reattached the printer to the XP machine and tried
attaching the Vista machine to the printer over the network, but it
uninstalled the Vista driver and dragged the XP driver over to the Vista
machine, which won't work.

I have also tried installing the Vista drivers on the XP machine as an
Additional Driver. Unfortunately you can't specify a directory under XP SP2.
I tried running the Vista drivers using the setup program but of course that
errored out because it recognized it was the wrong driver. Finally I tried
copying the Vista drivers to the directory on the XP machine where the XP
drivers resided, but still wasn't able to install the Vista Drivers under
"Additional Drivers" for that printer.

I am completely stumped on this.

Ed Isenberg