Cannot change preferences on networked printer

Ed Isenberg

Cannot change preferences on networked printer
I have a Windows XP desktop computer that has a printer on it (a Samsung
CLP-510) attached and open to use by others on the WiFi network. When my
laptop was using XP I could change the printer properties to print color vs.
black&white, or normal vs. duplex. Now that my laptop is running Vista,
changes to printer properties are no longer saved.

Specifically, I open the printer on my laptop, and click PRINTER |
PROPTERIES | PRINTING PREFERENCES. I can then change the properties to print
only B&W Duplex on the long side. After clicking either OK or APPLY | OK, if
I open up PRINTING PROPERTIES again the changes from the default have not
been saved. Actually printing something ends up with the default printer
settings having been used.

Please note that the desktop printer (again, running XP) has no problem
having non-default settings. In fact, I have the same printer saved as four
different ones (all with different names but the same port), with different
color & duplex settings for each one.

Thanks for your help,

Ed
Malke

Re: Cannot change preferences on networked printer
Ed Isenberg wrote:
> I have a Windows XP desktop computer that has a printer on it (a Samsung
> CLP-510) attached and open to use by others on the WiFi network. When my
> laptop was using XP I could change the printer properties to print color vs.
> black&white, or normal vs. duplex. Now that my laptop is running Vista,
> changes to printer properties are no longer saved.
>
> Specifically, I open the printer on my laptop, and click PRINTER |
> PROPTERIES | PRINTING PREFERENCES. I can then change the properties to print
> only B&W Duplex on the long side. After clicking either OK or APPLY | OK, if
> I open up PRINTING PROPERTIES again the changes from the default have not
> been saved. Actually printing something ends up with the default printer
> settings having been used.
>
> Please note that the desktop printer (again, running XP) has no problem
> having non-default settings. In fact, I have the same printer saved as four
> different ones (all with different names but the same port), with different
> color & duplex settings for each one.

Did you install printer drivers from Samsung for Vista on the laptop? If
not, this is your next step. If you are using drivers that were included
in Vista, go to Samsung's website for your specific printer and see if
there are updated drivers available.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
Ed Isenberg

Re: Cannot change preferences on networked printer
The printer is attached to an XP machine, but I am trying to print from a
Vista machine via a WiFi network. I downloaded the printer's Vista drivers
and installed them with the printer attached to the Vista machine. However,
when I reattach the printer to the XP machine it once again uses the XP
driver.

How do I use a Vista driver on a network printer attached to an XP machine?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Ed

Ed Isenberg wrote:
> The printer is attached to an XP machine, but I am trying to print from a
> Vista machine via a WiFi network. I downloaded the printer's Vista drivers
> and installed them with the printer attached to the Vista machine. However,
> when I reattach the printer to the XP machine it once again uses the XP
> driver.
>
> How do I use a Vista driver on a network printer attached to an XP machine?

So you installed the printer drivers for Vista on the Vista machine?
Does the printer show up in the Control Panel Printer applet? If yes,
then right-click on it, then left-click on Properties. Click the
Advanced tab. Is the New Driver button grayed out? If not, click it and
point it to where the Samsung drivers are on your Vista machine's hard
drive.

Still in the Printers Control Panel applet, if the Samsung shows up as
"Automatic on [desktop name]", then delete it. Then use the Add Printer
button and choose the Network Printer. It should see the printer
connected to the XP machine but will use your local Vista drivers.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
Ed Isenberg

Re: Cannot change preferences on networked printer
I installed the Vista driver on my Vista machine and plugged the printer in
directly, and it worked correctly. My problem is that when I attach the
printer to an XP machine and try to use it on the Vista machine via the WiFi
network, it reinstalls the XP driver on my machine. I can't figure out how to
get the Vista driver working with a printer attached to a networked XP
machine.

Ed Isenberg wrote:
> I installed the Vista driver on my Vista machine and plugged the printer in
> directly, and it worked correctly. My problem is that when I attach the
> printer to an XP machine and try to use it on the Vista machine via the WiFi
> network, it reinstalls the XP driver on my machine. I can't figure out how to
> get the Vista driver working with a printer attached to a networked XP
> machine.

I just told you in my last post. Please try that troubleshooting. In
addition to that, since you had the printer plugged directly into your
computer at first, I would uninstall it first. Reboot. Then install the
Vista drivers again and add the printer with the Add Printer routine. If
you see an Automatic entry for the printer in the Printers applet,
delete it.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
Ed Isenberg

Re: Cannot change preferences on networked printer
I apologize for the double-post. Would you believe it took two days for my
posts to get to the server and show up on tis discussion group? I thought it
wasn't ever going to make it and reposted my message, thus the double post.

This problem is apparently due to Comcast, which can lose outgoing or
ingoing messages either temporarily or permanently. If it is incoming, it may
bounce back to the sender and maybe just disappear into the ether. If I had
another truly high-speed service provider I would switch in a heartbeat.

I till try your solution and see if it works, letting you know either way.
Thanks for the responses.

Ed