Adding/accessing printer tthrough wireless print server under Vist

Reid

Adding/accessing printer tthrough wireless print server under Vist
I'm a new Vista Business user, have no manuals and moving from Win-2000 the
interfaces are not very intuitive.

I have an existing home wireless network comprised of a Linksys a/b/g
wireless router connected to a Linksys wireless print server that was working
very well for my wife and I using Windows 2000 on our notebooks.

Under Win-2000 I simply added the driver for the Linksys wireless print
server onto the notebooks, then added printer to the notebooks and assigned
the port of the wireless print server to the printer.

Under Vista, the printer add process is not inuitive. There is no list of
printers to pick from. I tried to add the printer (Hp Lasrerjet 3330) using
the CD but it was incompatible with Vista. Fine for 2000, NT and XP. Tried
to load and use the HP universal print driver but no way to specify my
printer without loading it. Got a smeared page to print through the universal
driver.

What is the process to follow on Vista to add a printer that will
communicate through a wireless print server?

-r

Dan [MSFT]

Re: Adding/accessing printer tthrough wireless print server under Vist
Reid,

You can pick & install the HP driver specifically through the driver wizard
(right click on the Printers folder, select Run as Administrator, Server
Settings; then select the drivers tab & Add Driver). However, I don't know
if that will solve your problem since what's stopping you is likely the
wireless hub/router.

Many of these wireless hub/router/print servers run some variety of unix on
them. Vista supports working with versions of unix that support Samba on
them (thus Vista works with Macs). I would suggest checking out Linksys to
see if they have any advice for using these devices with Vista or seeing if
there is install software that came with the router to see if that will work
correctly.

If you have any success, please post back here as lots of peopel are
stuggling with these routers + Vista.

Thanks,
Dan

"Reid" <Reid@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm a new Vista Business user, have no manuals and moving from Win-2000
> the
> interfaces are not very intuitive.
>
> I have an existing home wireless network comprised of a Linksys a/b/g
> wireless router connected to a Linksys wireless print server that was
> working
> very well for my wife and I using Windows 2000 on our notebooks.
>
> Under Win-2000 I simply added the driver for the Linksys wireless print
> server onto the notebooks, then added printer to the notebooks and
> assigned
> the port of the wireless print server to the printer.
>
> Under Vista, the printer add process is not inuitive. There is no list of
> printers to pick from. I tried to add the printer (Hp Lasrerjet 3330)
> using
> the CD but it was incompatible with Vista. Fine for 2000, NT and XP.
> Tried
> to load and use the HP universal print driver but no way to specify my
> printer without loading it. Got a smeared page to print through the
> universal
> driver.
>
> What is the process to follow on Vista to add a printer that will
> communicate through a wireless print server?
>
> -r

Reid

Re: Adding/accessing printer tthrough wireless print server under
Dan,

What I discovered was counter intuitive. My problem was I as selecting the
prompt to add a wireless printer which repeatedly took me nowhere. What I
finally did was add my printer (HP Laserjet 3330) as a local, direct
attached printer and simply selected the driver/port I had loaded from the CD
provided with the Linksys wireless print server. Works like a charm.
Thanks... -r