Dialing Rules, Calling Cards

drnate

Dialing Rules, Calling Cards
Hello! I've been working on this for several hours and can't seem to find
anything that addresses my issues. I am trying to send a fax with a custom
calling card. I have the calling card information entered into the dialing
rules.

When I put the number in proper cannonical format, I get a pop up box
declaring that there are no outlook contacts with that number. Furthermore,
no matter what I try, the system simply refuses to use my calling card. Is
there a place I'm supposed to check that says "use calling card for this area
code" or something similar? It seems like I'm missing something really
simple. Thank you for your insight!

Nathan
PaulB

RE: Dialing Rules, Calling Cards
Hi Nathan,
Go to the Control Panel and select "Phone and Modem Options"
The select edit for "location name" then select the Calling card tab.
Hope this helps
--
Paul

"drnate" wrote:

> Hello! I've been working on this for several hours and can't seem to find
> anything that addresses my issues. I am trying to send a fax with a custom
> calling card. I have the calling card information entered into the dialing
> rules.
>
> When I put the number in proper cannonical format, I get a pop up box
> declaring that there are no outlook contacts with that number. Furthermore,
> no matter what I try, the system simply refuses to use my calling card. Is
> there a place I'm supposed to check that says "use calling card for this area
> code" or something similar? It seems like I'm missing something really
> simple. Thank you for your insight!
>
> Nathan

PaulB

RE: Dialing Rules, Calling Cards
Sorry misread your post
--
Paul

"drnate" wrote:

> Hello! I've been working on this for several hours and can't seem to find
> anything that addresses my issues. I am trying to send a fax with a custom
> calling card. I have the calling card information entered into the dialing
> rules.
>
> When I put the number in proper cannonical format, I get a pop up box
> declaring that there are no outlook contacts with that number. Furthermore,
> no matter what I try, the system simply refuses to use my calling card. Is
> there a place I'm supposed to check that says "use calling card for this area
> code" or something similar? It seems like I'm missing something really
> simple. Thank you for your insight!
>
> Nathan

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Re: Dialing Rules, Calling Cards
State your fax software.
State the method used for recipient selection.
State the data source for your fax numbers.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"drnate" <drnate@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello! I've been working on this for several hours and can't seem to find
> anything that addresses my issues. I am trying to send a fax with a
> custom
> calling card. I have the calling card information entered into the
> dialing
> rules.
>
> When I put the number in proper cannonical format, I get a pop up box
> declaring that there are no outlook contacts with that number.
> Furthermore,
> no matter what I try, the system simply refuses to use my calling card.
> Is
> there a place I'm supposed to check that says "use calling card for this
> area
> code" or something similar? It seems like I'm missing something really
> simple. Thank you for your insight!
>
> Nathan

drnate

Re: Dialing Rules, Calling Cards
Hello Russ:
Here goes:
I am using the fax software that came with Vista Ultimate. I accessed it
under Start > Accessories > Windows Fax an Scan.

I am greeted by the Windows Fax and Scan Window. When I click on "New Fax,"
the New Fax Windows opens. I enter the fax number in +1 (000) 000-0000
format in the "To" box near the top of the window. I do not need to send
hundreds of faxes each day, so I was hoping to get around buying additional
fax software.

I do not currently have a data source for my fax numbers. I just enter
them directly into the "To" box in the New Fax Window. If I had a choice,
I'd use the Windows Contacts address book to control fax and phone numbers.
However, when the Select Recipients box opens after clicking on the "To"
window, the only Address Book listed is "Outlook Address Book," and when I
click on Advanced Find, a window informs me "The search cannot be completed.
You must have an address list to search in. If you don't have an address
list, contact your Microsoft Exchange administrator." I am just a simple
home user that would like to fax some paperwork to city hall. I have checked
and found that I do not even have Outlook installed.

I hope this is helpful. Thank you for your time.
Nathan

"Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:

> State your fax software.
> State the method used for recipient selection.
> State the data source for your fax numbers.
> --
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]
> "drnate" <drnate@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hello! I've been working on this for several hours and can't seem to find
> > anything that addresses my issues. I am trying to send a fax with a
> > custom
> > calling card. I have the calling card information entered into the
> > dialing
> > rules.
> >
> > When I put the number in proper cannonical format, I get a pop up box
> > declaring that there are no outlook contacts with that number.
> > Furthermore,
> > no matter what I try, the system simply refuses to use my calling card.
> > Is
> > there a place I'm supposed to check that says "use calling card for this
> > area
> > code" or something similar? It seems like I'm missing something really
> > simple. Thank you for your insight!
> >
> > Nathan

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Re: Dialing Rules, Calling Cards
Those are really bizarre error messages if you've never had Outlook
installed on this partition. WFS should default to using Windows Contacts if
Outlook has never been installed. What happens if you create a Contact
Record with a properly formatted fax number in Windows Contacts? Can you
then invoke that Contact from the New Fax Window?
As you know, canonical format should invoke the processing of dialing rules
no matter how that number is entered. All bets are off with WFS. No one
seems to know how or whether this program works.
--
> Hello Russ:
> Here goes:
> I am using the fax software that came with Vista Ultimate. I accessed it
> under Start > Accessories > Windows Fax an Scan.
>
> I am greeted by the Windows Fax and Scan Window. When I click on "New
> Fax,"
> the New Fax Windows opens. I enter the fax number in +1 (000) 000-0000
> format in the "To" box near the top of the window. I do not need to send
> hundreds of faxes each day, so I was hoping to get around buying
> additional
> fax software.
>
> I do not currently have a data source for my fax numbers. I just enter
> them directly into the "To" box in the New Fax Window. If I had a choice,
> I'd use the Windows Contacts address book to control fax and phone
> numbers.
> However, when the Select Recipients box opens after clicking on the "To"
> window, the only Address Book listed is "Outlook Address Book," and when I
> click on Advanced Find, a window informs me "The search cannot be
> completed.
> You must have an address list to search in. If you don't have an address
> list, contact your Microsoft Exchange administrator." I am just a simple
> home user that would like to fax some paperwork to city hall. I have
> checked
> and found that I do not even have Outlook installed.
>
> I hope this is helpful. Thank you for your time.
> Nathan
>

> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
>
>> State your fax software.
>> State the method used for recipient selection.
>> State the data source for your fax numbers.
>> --
>> Russ Valentine
>> [MVP-Outlook]
>> "drnate" <drnate@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hello! I've been working on this for several hours and can't seem to
>> > find
>> > anything that addresses my issues. I am trying to send a fax with a
>> > custom
>> > calling card. I have the calling card information entered into the
>> > dialing
>> > rules.
>> >
>> > When I put the number in proper cannonical format, I get a pop up box
>> > declaring that there are no outlook contacts with that number.
>> > Furthermore,
>> > no matter what I try, the system simply refuses to use my calling card.
>> > Is
>> > there a place I'm supposed to check that says "use calling card for
>> > this
>> > area
>> > code" or something similar? It seems like I'm missing something really
>> > simple. Thank you for your insight!
>> >
>> > Nathan

drnate

Re: Dialing Rules, Calling Cards
Dear Russ,

I fixed part of the problem. I am using a Toshiba laptop that came with
evaluation copies of the MS Office 2007 programs installed. After I
uninstalled the main program, WFS allowed me to choose from my contacts
folder.

I am still having trouble with the calling card. I have tried with and
without adding all the prefixes in the target area code (under area code
rules). I just cannot seem to get the software to use my calling card access
number. It always dials the target number.

Thank you again for your help.

Nathan

"Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:

> Those are really bizarre error messages if you've never had Outlook
> installed on this partition. WFS should default to using Windows Contacts if
> Outlook has never been installed. What happens if you create a Contact
> Record with a properly formatted fax number in Windows Contacts? Can you
> then invoke that Contact from the New Fax Window?
> As you know, canonical format should invoke the processing of dialing rules
> no matter how that number is entered. All bets are off with WFS. No one
> seems to know how or whether this program works.
> --
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]
> "drnate" <drnate@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hello Russ:
> > Here goes:
> > I am using the fax software that came with Vista Ultimate. I accessed it
> > under Start > Accessories > Windows Fax an Scan.
> >
> > I am greeted by the Windows Fax and Scan Window. When I click on "New
> > Fax,"
> > the New Fax Windows opens. I enter the fax number in +1 (000) 000-0000
> > format in the "To" box near the top of the window. I do not need to send
> > hundreds of faxes each day, so I was hoping to get around buying
> > additional
> > fax software.
> >
> > I do not currently have a data source for my fax numbers. I just enter
> > them directly into the "To" box in the New Fax Window. If I had a choice,
> > I'd use the Windows Contacts address book to control fax and phone
> > numbers.
> > However, when the Select Recipients box opens after clicking on the "To"
> > window, the only Address Book listed is "Outlook Address Book," and when I
> > click on Advanced Find, a window informs me "The search cannot be
> > completed.
> > You must have an address list to search in. If you don't have an address
> > list, contact your Microsoft Exchange administrator." I am just a simple
> > home user that would like to fax some paperwork to city hall. I have
> > checked
> > and found that I do not even have Outlook installed.
> >
> > I hope this is helpful. Thank you for your time.
> > Nathan
> >

> > "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
> >
> >> State your fax software.
> >> State the method used for recipient selection.
> >> State the data source for your fax numbers.
> >> --
> >> Russ Valentine
> >> [MVP-Outlook]

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Re: Dialing Rules, Calling Cards
I see. The plot thickens considerably.
When you uninstalled Outlook, did the default Contact manager for the OS
revert to Windows Contacts?
By what method are you now selecting your recipient?
I have no idea whether WFS was ever tested extensively against dialing rules
before it was released, so I have no idea how it will function. All I know
is that it invokes my dialing rules flawlessly for my Outlook Contacts. For
all I know, I'm the only one who's tried it, and the experience of one means
nothing.
--
> [...]
>> > choice,
>> > I'd use the Windows Contacts address book to control fax and phone
>> > numbers.
>> > However, when the Select Recipients box opens after clicking on the
>> > "To"
>> > window, the only Address Book listed is "Outlook Address Book," and
>> > when I
>> > click on Advanced Find, a window informs me "The search cannot be
>> > completed.
>> > You must have an address list to search in. If you don't have an
>> > address
>> > list, contact your Microsoft Exchange administrator." I am just a
>> > simple
>> > home user that would like to fax some paperwork to city hall. I have
>> > checked
>> > and found that I do not even have Outlook installed.
>> >
>> > I hope this is helpful. Thank you for your time.

drnate

Re: Dialing Rules, Calling Cards
OK. I got it to work. To answer your questions, WFS now displays my Windows
Contacts when I click on the "To" button. I can select my recipient from my
vast array of contacts. MS Word, however, it seems, still looks for my
outlook contacts when / if I try to mail merge. I'll cross that bridge if I
come to it... I'm confused about why Windows would want to store addresses
in two separate places anyway...

I took your advice and inputted a fax number (in proper format) for the
destination contact directly into Windows Contacts. I selected the desired
recipient as stated above. What turned the tide was I had to re-program my
area code to "000" to get the program to use my calling card. Apparently the
software was dialing "1 + the number" for all telephone numbers inside my
area code and would use the calling card for all numbers outside my area
code. I'm pretty sure this is not an "intended use," but it does seem to
work now. Eventually, I would like to be able to send a local fax without
the calling card. I'll probably have to set up a new rule to handle that.
Thank you for your help. If you need clarification on what I did (so I can
be of help to others), please let me know!

Nathan

"Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:

> I see. The plot thickens considerably.
> When you uninstalled Outlook, did the default Contact manager for the OS
> revert to Windows Contacts?
> By what method are you now selecting your recipient?
> I have no idea whether WFS was ever tested extensively against dialing rules
> before it was released, so I have no idea how it will function. All I know
> is that it invokes my dialing rules flawlessly for my Outlook Contacts. For
> all I know, I'm the only one who's tried it, and the experience of one means
> nothing.
> --
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]
> "drnate" <drnate@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Dear Russ,
> >
> > I fixed part of the problem. I am using a Toshiba laptop that came with
> > evaluation copies of the MS Office 2007 programs installed. After I
> > uninstalled the main program, WFS allowed me to choose from my contacts
> > folder.
> >
> > I am still having trouble with the calling card. I have tried with and
> > without adding all the prefixes in the target area code (under area code
> > rules). I just cannot seem to get the software to use my calling card
> > access
> > number. It always dials the target number.
> >
> > Thank you again for your help.
> >
> > Nathan
> >
> > "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
> >
> >> Those are really bizarre error messages if you've never had Outlook
> >> installed on this partition. WFS should default to using Windows Contacts
> >> if
> >> Outlook has never been installed. What happens if you create a Contact
> >> Record with a properly formatted fax number in Windows Contacts? Can you
> >> then invoke that Contact from the New Fax Window?
> >> As you know, canonical format should invoke the processing of dialing
> >> rules
> >> no matter how that number is entered. All bets are off with WFS. No one
> >> seems to know how or whether this program works.
> >> --
> >> Russ Valentine
> >> [MVP-Outlook]

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Re: Dialing Rules, Calling Cards
Of course Word looks for Outlook. It cannot integrate with anything else.
Never has.
Your "workaround" is indeed one of a kind. It suggests something was wrong
with your configuration.