Printer Access on XP Machine from Vista Business

Daniel L. Lieberman

Printer Access on XP Machine from Vista Business
In networking I can see the printer on the XP machine and use properties and
print a test page.

When I try to install the printer on my Vista machine I get a message:
"This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this
computer. Please contact your system administrator."

I am logged on as an Administrator. Where is the policy setting on the Vista
machine that prevents installing the printer.

TIA.

Alan Morris [MSFT]

Re: Printer Access on XP Machine from Vista Business
Is the print server in the same domain as the client?

What is the print driver name? Does the print driver ship with the Vista
OS?

This is either a version 2 (kernel mode print driver) issue or a Point and
Print restrictions policy issue.

Open gpedit.msc
User settings under
Admin template, control panel, printers

Computer specific under
Admin templates
Printers

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team

"Daniel L. Lieberman" <LiebermanDL@Hotmail.com> wrote in message
> In networking I can see the printer on the XP machine and use properties
> and print a test page.
>
> When I try to install the printer on my Vista machine I get a message:
> "This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this
> computer. Please contact your system administrator."
>
> I am logged on as an Administrator. Where is the policy setting on the
> Vista machine that prevents installing the printer.
>
> TIA.

Daniel L. Lieberman

Re: Printer Access on XP Machine from Vista Business
Alan,

Thanks. The issue was a point and print issue.

Daniel

"Alan Morris [MSFT]" <alanmo@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Is the print server in the same domain as the client?
>
> What is the print driver name? Does the print driver ship with the Vista
> OS?
>
> This is either a version 2 (kernel mode print driver) issue or a Point and
> Print restrictions policy issue.
>
> Open gpedit.msc
> User settings under
> Admin template, control panel, printers
>
> Computer specific under
> Admin templates
> Printers
>
> --
> Alan Morris
> Windows Printing Team

> rights.
>
> "Daniel L. Lieberman" <LiebermanDL@Hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> In networking I can see the printer on the XP machine and use properties
>> and print a test page.
>>
>> When I try to install the printer on my Vista machine I get a message:
>> "This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this
>> computer. Please contact your system administrator."
>>
>> I am logged on as an Administrator. Where is the policy setting on the
>> Vista machine that prevents installing the printer.
>>
>> TIA.

Antario

Re: Printer Access on XP Machine from Vista Business

Man, I searched all over the internet for a solution to this same
problem. I was using TweakVista and restricted some "extra" services
and wound screwing up my printer privileges. I even used default
setting and couldn't get access to the network printer back.

Thanks for your help Alan!

Funny thing is, this is one of my Firefox homepages! And I didn't look
here first! Lesson learned!

Thanks again!

--
Antario