fax account wizard error

filipino

fax account wizard error
Hi,

I'm having an Intel 539EP modem which I use to receive faxes. It worked just
fine until I created a new Vista administrator account and deleted the old
one.
When I tried to configure Windows Fax and Scan, when creating a fax account,
I got the error "An error occurred. Please try the operation later or contact
your administrator" when clicking on "Connect to a fax modem" -> "Choose a
modem name".
I unnistalled and reinstalled WFS, but nothing. Has anyone encountered such
a problem?

Thanks,
Filip
Dan [MSFT]

Re: fax account wizard error
Filip,

I talked to the dev who's taken over the fax side of WFS. He suggested that
you try running WFS elevated & see if the problem continues. Let me know
what happens & we'll see if we can't solve your problem.

Dan

"filipino" <filipino@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I'm having an Intel 539EP modem which I use to receive faxes. It worked
> just
> fine until I created a new Vista administrator account and deleted the old
> one.
> When I tried to configure Windows Fax and Scan, when creating a fax
> account,
> I got the error "An error occurred. Please try the operation later or
> contact
> your administrator" when clicking on "Connect to a fax modem" -> "Choose a
> modem name".
> I unnistalled and reinstalled WFS, but nothing. Has anyone encountered
> such
> a problem?
>
> Thanks,
> Filip

filipino

Re: fax account wizard error
Hi Dan,

Thanks a lot for your reply.
I tried to run it elevated, but I get the same message.

Filip

"Dan [MSFT]" wrote:

> Filip,
>
> I talked to the dev who's taken over the fax side of WFS. He suggested that
> you try running WFS elevated & see if the problem continues. Let me know
> what happens & we'll see if we can't solve your problem.
>
> Dan
>
> "filipino" <filipino@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm having an Intel 539EP modem which I use to receive faxes. It worked
> > just
> > fine until I created a new Vista administrator account and deleted the old
> > one.
> > When I tried to configure Windows Fax and Scan, when creating a fax
> > account,
> > I got the error "An error occurred. Please try the operation later or
> > contact
> > your administrator" when clicking on "Connect to a fax modem" -> "Choose a
> > modem name".
> > I unnistalled and reinstalled WFS, but nothing. Has anyone encountered
> > such
> > a problem?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Filip

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Re: fax account wizard error
Examine the settings for the Fax Service in Administrative Tools > Services.
Did they migrate correctly to your new user account? Did you encounter any
similar problems when you configured this modem in your first account?
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
> Hi Dan,
>
> Thanks a lot for your reply.
> I tried to run it elevated, but I get the same message.
>
> Filip
>
> "Dan [MSFT]" wrote:
>
>> Filip,
>>
>> I talked to the dev who's taken over the fax side of WFS. He suggested
>> that
>> you try running WFS elevated & see if the problem continues. Let me know
>> what happens & we'll see if we can't solve your problem.
>>
>> Dan
>>
>> "filipino" <filipino@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > I'm having an Intel 539EP modem which I use to receive faxes. It worked
>> > just
>> > fine until I created a new Vista administrator account and deleted the
>> > old
>> > one.
>> > When I tried to configure Windows Fax and Scan, when creating a fax
>> > account,
>> > I got the error "An error occurred. Please try the operation later or
>> > contact
>> > your administrator" when clicking on "Connect to a fax modem" ->
>> > "Choose a
>> > modem name".
>> > I unnistalled and reinstalled WFS, but nothing. Has anyone encountered
>> > such
>> > a problem?
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> > Filip

filipino

Re: fax account wizard error
Hi,

I had no similar errors with the first account, I received a couple of faxes.

The settings are as follows:
startup type - manual
logon as - network service
first/second failures - restart
subsequent failures - no action
restart service - after 1 minute

Unfortunately, I'm not very competent in assessing these settings...

Thanks,
Filip

"Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:

> Examine the settings for the Fax Service in Administrative Tools > Services.
> Did they migrate correctly to your new user account? Did you encounter any
> similar problems when you configured this modem in your first account?
> --
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]
> "filipino" <filipino@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi Dan,
> >
> > Thanks a lot for your reply.
> > I tried to run it elevated, but I get the same message.
> >
> > Filip
> >
> > "Dan [MSFT]" wrote:
> >
> >> Filip,
> >>
> >> I talked to the dev who's taken over the fax side of WFS. He suggested
> >> that
> >> you try running WFS elevated & see if the problem continues. Let me know
> >> what happens & we'll see if we can't solve your problem.
> >>
> >> Dan

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Re: fax account wizard error
Startup type should be set to automatic if you can enable that.
When you use the Browse button to examine the settings for for your logon
account, what are the Object Types? Is your location designated correctly?
Does everything in Control Panel > User Accounts look correct to you?
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
> Hi,
>
> I had no similar errors with the first account, I received a couple of
> faxes.
>
> The settings are as follows:
> startup type - manual
> logon as - network service
> first/second failures - restart
> subsequent failures - no action
> restart service - after 1 minute
>
> Unfortunately, I'm not very competent in assessing these settings...
>
> Thanks,
> Filip
>
> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
>
>> Examine the settings for the Fax Service in Administrative Tools >
>> Services.
>> Did they migrate correctly to your new user account? Did you encounter
>> any
>> similar problems when you configured this modem in your first account?
>> --
>> Russ Valentine
>> [MVP-Outlook]
>> "filipino" <filipino@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi Dan,
>> >
>> > Thanks a lot for your reply.
>> > I tried to run it elevated, but I get the same message.
>> >
>> > Filip

filipino

Re: fax account wizard error
I have enabled the automatic startup type, with no change.

Can you provide more detailed instruction on how to look for the Object Types?

I have found a "Browse" button next to Log on as - this account (network
service) , with "built-in security principals" and "users".

Control Panel > User Accounts looks fine, with my user account
(administrator type)and a disabled guest account.

Filip

"Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:

> Startup type should be set to automatic if you can enable that.
> When you use the Browse button to examine the settings for for your logon
> account, what are the Object Types? Is your location designated correctly?
> Does everything in Control Panel > User Accounts look correct to you?
> --
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Re: fax account wizard error
I can't solve it from here, then. We'll see if the dev has any other ideas.
Is you modem on the VHCL?

--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
>I have enabled the automatic startup type, with no change.
>
> Can you provide more detailed instruction on how to look for the Object
> Types?
>
> I have found a "Browse" button next to Log on as - this account (network
> service) , with "built-in security principals" and "users".
>
> Control Panel > User Accounts looks fine, with my user account
> (administrator type)and a disabled guest account.
>
> Filip
>
> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
>
>> Startup type should be set to automatic if you can enable that.
>> When you use the Browse button to examine the settings for for your logon
>> account, what are the Object Types? Is your location designated
>> correctly?
>> Does everything in Control Panel > User Accounts look correct to you?
>> --
>> Russ Valentine
>> [MVP-Outlook]

filipino

Re: fax account wizard error
Hi,

My modem doesn't seem to be on the VHCL, however it worked before. Thanks a
lot for your effort!

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Re: fax account wizard error
I know, but as with everything else, "past performance is no guarantee of
future results."

--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]