Connecting a Vista machine to a printer shared on an XP machine.

Michael in Ohio

Connecting a Vista machine to a printer shared on an XP machine.
I am experiencing the same conditions as many others. I'd like to work
through it with someone if there is anyone who can help. I have a new laptop
with Windows Vista Home Premium.

I have a desktop with Windows XP SR2 with an HP5510 printer connected to it.
All my other XP computers can connect to it and install the printer. The
Vista
machine can see the printer, but will receive an error if I try to connect to
it.

I tried a work around I found which included installing it as a local
printer. This failed also. I tried the dir \\computername\printername
command in a command window and received "not enough server storage is
available to process this command" I believe received this error also when I
tried to install the network printer as a loca printer.

I could use some advise as well. It certainly seems this would be a simple
process to handle, but with all the similar cases floating around the web, it
doesn't appear to be so. Please help if at all possible.

Thanks

Alan Morris [MSFT]

Re: Connecting a Vista machine to a printer shared on an XP machine.
dir \\computer\printshare is an invalid command.

Thanks for the driver name. HP has a binary that checks the OS version.
The binary only works on Server 2003 and less OS version numbers. This
binary will terminate when run in Vista. Since the file is loaded with the
driver, the terminating code causes the spooler to fail on Vista. Check the
version number of hpbmini.dll on you XP machine
\windows\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3. The version number should be 18
or greater to work on Vista.

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team

"Michael in Ohio" <MichaelinOhio@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am experiencing the same conditions as many others. I'd like to work
> through it with someone if there is anyone who can help. I have a new
> laptop
> with Windows Vista Home Premium.
>
> I have a desktop with Windows XP SR2 with an HP5510 printer connected to
> it.
> All my other XP computers can connect to it and install the printer. The
> Vista
> machine can see the printer, but will receive an error if I try to connect
> it.
>
> I tried a work around I found which included installing it as a local
> printer. This failed also. I tried the dir \\computername\printername
> command in a command window and received "not enough server storage is
> available to process this command" I believe received this error also when
> tried to install the network printer as a loca printer.
>
> I could use some advise as well. It certainly seems this would be a
> simple
> process to handle, but with all the similar cases floating around the web,
> it
> doesn't appear to be so. Please help if at all possible.
>
> Thanks

Michael in Ohio

Re: Connecting a Vista machine to a printer shared on an XP machin
Hi Alan,

I do not have this file on my Windows XP machine. To clarify, the HP5510
All In One printer is installed on the Windows XP machine with the Vista
Laptop trying to connect to it.

When looking at the Driver section of the Printer, the only driver which is
Check Marked is the [Enviorment] Intel [Version] Windows 2000 or XP. I
thought perhaps that I should download a Vista driver and maintain it on the
XP machine, but HP doesn't make this available as it is already shipped with
Vista.

I know the Vista Driver is available on the laptop, but I never get far
enough in the process to use the driver.

Where to from here?

Thanks,

"Alan Morris [MSFT]" wrote:

> dir \\computer\printshare is an invalid command.
>
> Thanks for the driver name. HP has a binary that checks the OS version.
> The binary only works on Server 2003 and less OS version numbers. This
> binary will terminate when run in Vista. Since the file is loaded with the
> driver, the terminating code causes the spooler to fail on Vista. Check the
> version number of hpbmini.dll on you XP machine
> \windows\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3. The version number should be 18
> or greater to work on Vista.
>

> --
> Alan Morris
> Windows Printing Team

> "Michael in Ohio" <MichaelinOhio@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I am experiencing the same conditions as many others. I'd like to work
> > through it with someone if there is anyone who can help. I have a new
> > laptop
> > with Windows Vista Home Premium.
> >
> > I have a desktop with Windows XP SR2 with an HP5510 printer connected to
> > it.
> > All my other XP computers can connect to it and install the printer. The
> > Vista
> > machine can see the printer, but will receive an error if I try to connect
> > it.
> >
> > I tried a work around I found which included installing it as a local
> > printer. This failed also. I tried the dir \\computername\printername
> > command in a command window and received "not enough server storage is
> > available to process this command" I believe received this error also when
> > tried to install the network printer as a loca printer.
> >
> > I could use some advise as well. It certainly seems this would be a
> > simple
> > process to handle, but with all the similar cases floating around the web,
> > it
> > doesn't appear to be so. Please help if at all possible.
> >
> > Thanks

Alan Morris [MSFT]

Re: Connecting a Vista machine to a printer shared on an XP machin
When do you get the error and what is the exact error message you receive on
the Vista machine when making the connection.

Yes this will work if we add a local printer to the Vista machine using the
inbox driver. But the exact error first please.

--

> [...]
>> > Vista
>> > machine can see the printer, but will receive an error if I try to
>> > connect
>> > it.
>> >
>> > I tried a work around I found which included installing it as a local
>> > printer. This failed also. I tried the dir \\computername\printername
>> > command in a command window and received "not enough server storage is
>> > available to process this command" I believe received this error also
>> > when
>> > tried to install the network printer as a loca printer.
>> >
>> > I could use some advise as well. It certainly seems this would be a
>> > simple
>> > process to handle, but with all the similar cases floating around the
>> > web,
>> > it
>> > doesn't appear to be so. Please help if at all possible.

Michael in Ohio

Re: Connecting a Vista machine to a printer shared on an XP machin
Hi Alan,

In the Add Printer window, my printer is shown. I attempt to connect to it
and receive the following error: [Connect To Printer] Windows cannot connect
to the printer. Operation could not be completed (error 0x0000046a)

If I attempt to set up a New Printer, Local Printer, New Port,
\\computername\printername, I receve the following error: [Local Port] Not
enough server storage is available to process this command.

I don't if I mentioned, but I can see my shared files and folders on the XP
machine and have no problems accessing the files.

Thanks,

"Alan Morris [MSFT]" wrote:

> When do you get the error and what is the exact error message you receive on
> the Vista machine when making the connection.
>
> Yes this will work if we add a local printer to the Vista machine using the
> inbox driver. But the exact error first please.
>
> --
> Alan Morris
> Windows Printing Team

> "Michael in Ohio" <MichaelinOhio@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi Alan,
> >
> > I do not have this file on my Windows XP machine. To clarify, the HP5510
> > All In One printer is installed on the Windows XP machine with the Vista
> > Laptop trying to connect to it.
> >
> > When looking at the Driver section of the Printer, the only driver which
> > is
> > Check Marked is the [Enviorment] Intel [Version] Windows 2000 or XP. I
> > thought perhaps that I should download a Vista driver and maintain it on
> > the
> > XP machine, but HP doesn't make this available as it is already shipped
> > with
> > Vista.
> >
> > I know the Vista Driver is available on the laptop, but I never get far
> > enough in the process to use the driver.
> >
> > Where to from here?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > "Alan Morris [MSFT]" wrote:
> >
> >> dir \\computer\printshare is an invalid command.
> >>
> >> Thanks for the driver name. HP has a binary that checks the OS version.
> >> The binary only works on Server 2003 and less OS version numbers. This
> >> binary will terminate when run in Vista. Since the file is loaded with
> >> the
> >> driver, the terminating code causes the spooler to fail on Vista. Check
> >> the
> >> version number of hpbmini.dll on you XP machine
> >> \windows\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3. The version number should be
> >> 18
> >> or greater to work on Vista.
> >>

> >> --
> >> Alan Morris
> >> Windows Printing Team
> >> Search the Microsoft Knowledge Base here:
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;[ln];kbhowto

> >> rights.
> >>
> >> "Michael in Ohio" <MichaelinOhio@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> >> message

Alan Morris [MSFT]

Re: Connecting a Vista machine to a printer shared on an XP machin
I knew this was posted previously. You need to fix the IRPStack on the XP
machine.
Thanks for including the complete error.

Cool

the error evaluates to

E:\>winerror 1130
1130 ERROR_NOT_ENOUGH_SERVER_MEMORY <--> 0xc0000205
STATUS_INSUFF_SERVER_RESOURCES

I have no clue what an IRPStack is.

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team

--

> Hi Alan,
>
> In the Add Printer window, my printer is shown. I attempt to connect to
> it
> and receive the following error: [Connect To Printer] Windows cannot
> connect
> to the printer. Operation could not be completed (error 0x0000046a)
>
> If I attempt to set up a New Printer, Local Printer, New Port,
> \\computername\printername, I receve the following error: [Local Port] Not
> enough server storage is available to process this command.
>
> I don't if I mentioned, but I can see my shared files and folders on the
> XP
> machine and have no problems accessing the files.
>
> Thanks,
>

> "Alan Morris [MSFT]" wrote:
>
>> When do you get the error and what is the exact error message you receive
>> on
>> the Vista machine when making the connection.
>>
>> Yes this will work if we add a local printer to the Vista machine using
>> the
>> inbox driver. But the exact error first please.
>>
>> --
>> Alan Morris
>> Windows Printing Team

>> rights.
>>
>> "Michael in Ohio" <MichaelinOhio@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>> message
>> > Hi Alan,
>> >
>> > I do not have this file on my Windows XP machine. To clarify, the
>> > HP5510
>> > All In One printer is installed on the Windows XP machine with the
>> > Vista
>> > Laptop trying to connect to it.
>> >
>> > When looking at the Driver section of the Printer, the only driver
>> > which
>> > is
>> > Check Marked is the [Enviorment] Intel [Version] Windows 2000 or XP.
>> > thought perhaps that I should download a Vista driver and maintain it
>> > on
>> > the
>> > XP machine, but HP doesn't make this available as it is already shipped
>> > with
>> > Vista.
>> >
>> > I know the Vista Driver is available on the laptop, but I never get far
>> > enough in the process to use the driver.
>> >
>> > Where to from here?
>> >
>> > Thanks,

Michael in Ohio

Re: Connecting a Vista machine to a printer shared on an XP machin
Alan,

I did as instructed, no change. Exact same errors exist. There was not a
value esablished for the IRPStack. I added it per the instructions and set
it to 3. No change. I went back in and reset it to 15. Also no change.

"Alan Morris [MSFT]" wrote:

> [...]

> > Thanks,
> >

> > "Alan Morris [MSFT]" wrote:
> >
> >> When do you get the error and what is the exact error message you receive
> >> on
> >> the Vista machine when making the connection.
> >>
> >> Yes this will work if we add a local printer to the Vista machine using
> >> the
> >> inbox driver. But the exact error first please.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Alan Morris
> >> Windows Printing Team
> >> Search the Microsoft Knowledge Base here:
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;[ln];kbhowto

> >> rights.
> >>
> >> "Michael in Ohio" <MichaelinOhio@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> >> message

Alan Morris [MSFT]

Re: Connecting a Vista machine to a printer shared on an XP machin
Did you reboot the XP machine? The setting is for the server service which
is a layer between the spooler on one machine communicating with the spooler
on the other machine

What Anti Virus software are you using?

--

> Alan,
>
> I did as instructed, no change. Exact same errors exist. There was not a
> value esablished for the IRPStack. I added it per the instructions and
> set
> it to 3. No change. I went back in and reset it to 15. Also no change.
>
> "Alan Morris [MSFT]" wrote:
>
>> I knew this was posted previously. You need to fix the IRPStack on the
>> XP
>> machine.
>> Thanks for including the complete error.
>>

>> http://support.microsoft.com/default...;EN-US;q177078

>> Cool
>>
>> the error evaluates to
>>
>> E:\>winerror 1130
>> 1130 ERROR_NOT_ENOUGH_SERVER_MEMORY <--> 0xc0000205
>> STATUS_INSUFF_SERVER_RESOURCES
>>
>> I have no clue what an IRPStack is.
>>
>> --
>> Alan Morris
>> Windows Printing Team

>> rights.
>>
>> "George J Meier" <jost@meierNOCAPITALS.screaming.net> wrote in message
>> > Hurrah ! Hurrah !
>> >
>> > I finally found the solution !
>> >
>> > Went to:
>> >
>> > http://support.microsoft.com/default...EN-US;q177078&
>> >
>> > On the XP machine, on which the printer is connected, I increased
>> >
>> > Increas"IRPStackSize" from the existing 11 to 14 (increment of 3)
>> > according to recommensdation.
>> >
>> > And could install the Printer, No Sweat.
>> >
>> > Georgio, again.
>> >

>> > "George J Meier" <jost@meierNOCAPITALS.screaming.net> wrote in message

>> --
>> Alan Morris
>> Windows Printing Team

>> rights.
>>
>> "Michael in Ohio" <MichaelinOhio@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>> message
>> > Hi Alan,
>> >
>> > In the Add Printer window, my printer is shown. I attempt to connect
>> > it
>> > and receive the following error: [Connect To Printer] Windows cannot
>> > connect
>> > to the printer. Operation could not be completed (error 0x0000046a)
>> >
>> > If I attempt to set up a New Printer, Local Printer, New Port,
>> > \\computername\printername, I receve the following error: [Local Port]
>> > Not
>> > enough server storage is available to process this command.
>> >
>> > I don't if I mentioned, but I can see my shared files and folders on
>> > the
>> > XP
>> > machine and have no problems accessing the files.
>> >
>> > Thanks,

Michael in Ohio

Re: Connecting a Vista machine to a printer shared on an XP machin
Yes, the machine has been rebooted a number of times.

Norton System Works Premier 2005 with Norton Anti Virus Version 11.0.16.2

"Alan Morris [MSFT]" wrote:

> Did you reboot the XP machine? The setting is for the server service which
> is a layer between the spooler on one machine communicating with the spooler
> on the other machine
>
> What Anti Virus software are you using?
>

> --
> Alan Morris
> Windows Printing Team

> "Michael in Ohio" <MichaelinOhio@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Alan,
> >
> > I did as instructed, no change. Exact same errors exist. There was not a
> > value esablished for the IRPStack. I added it per the instructions and
> > set
> > it to 3. No change. I went back in and reset it to 15. Also no change.
> >
> > "Alan Morris [MSFT]" wrote:
> >
> >> I knew this was posted previously. You need to fix the IRPStack on the
> >> XP
> >> machine.
> >> Thanks for including the complete error.
> >>

> >> http://support.microsoft.com/default...;EN-US;q177078
> >>

> >> ===============================================
> >> Cool
> >>
> >> the error evaluates to
> >>
> >> E:\>winerror 1130
> >> 1130 ERROR_NOT_ENOUGH_SERVER_MEMORY <--> 0xc0000205
> >> STATUS_INSUFF_SERVER_RESOURCES
> >>
> >> I have no clue what an IRPStack is.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Alan Morris
> >> Windows Printing Team
> >> Search the Microsoft Knowledge Base here:
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;[ln];kbhowto

> >> rights.
> >>
> >> "George J Meier" <jost@meierNOCAPITALS.screaming.net> wrote in message

> >> --
> >> Alan Morris
> >> Windows Printing Team
> >> Search the Microsoft Knowledge Base here:
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;[ln];kbhowto

> >> rights.
> >>
> >> "Michael in Ohio" <MichaelinOhio@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> >> message

Alan Morris [MSFT]

Re: Connecting a Vista machine to a printer shared on an XP machin
The instructions say to increase by 3

So set the key
reboot
retry the connection
fails
change the key by adding 3
reboot
retry the connection
fails
change the key by adding 3
repeat

I'd set it to 50 first, if that works set to 25. If that fails go up 3. If
25 works you can tweak it but you know the default 15 does not.