Cannot connect Vista Fax and Scan to SBS Shared Fax

ASTENG88

Cannot connect Vista Fax and Scan to SBS Shared Fax
I just recently purchased 2 HP computers for work and they both have Vista
Business installed. The server we have is SBS 2003 RC1 and it has a shared
fax which all of our XP Pro machines connect through without a problem.
I cannot connect Vista Fax and Scan to the shared fax to send faxes but the
XP machines work just fine. Any Ideas would be appreciated.
--
_________
Andrew
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Re: Cannot connect Vista Fax and Scan to SBS Shared Fax
Perhaps you would like to start with what you tried and what happened. Spare
no detail. Pretend we aren't there watching. Rather hard for us to guess
what's wrong when you provide no information.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"ASTENG88" <asteng88@msn.com> wrote in message
>I just recently purchased 2 HP computers for work and they both have Vista
> Business installed. The server we have is SBS 2003 RC1 and it has a shared
> fax which all of our XP Pro machines connect through without a problem.
> I cannot connect Vista Fax and Scan to the shared fax to send faxes but
> the
> XP machines work just fine. Any Ideas would be appreciated.
> --
> _________
> Andrew

ASTENG88

Re: Cannot connect Vista Fax and Scan to SBS Shared Fax
Hi Russ, Thanks for the Reply.
Well I read he previous posts and learned that MS made a bit of a boo boo
when instructing how to connect to the fax.
So, I have installed the internal faxes, no problem and we have a server
with a shared fax service and the computers left with XP Pro, connects and
sends faxes successfully through this service.
I try and connect the VISTA Business machines to the network fax through the
wizard in Fax and Scan as JUST the server name and leaving out the \fax as
described in previous posts.
When I do this, the program hangs indefinately (not responding). I cannot
even close out the program with Task Manager so I have to reboot. However I
did look at the system properties and the CPU is only used 7% but the RAM
(1GB) is used 77%. I have to reboot the machine to clear this error.
I have installed the patch for SBS 2003 R1 so Vista can connect to the
server without any issues but this seems to be the last problem I have
connecting Vista to the network.
Any help you can give would be appreciated.
_________
Andrew

"Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:

> Perhaps you would like to start with what you tried and what happened. Spare
> no detail. Pretend we aren't there watching. Rather hard for us to guess
> what's wrong when you provide no information.
> --
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]
> "ASTENG88" <asteng88@msn.com> wrote in message
> >I just recently purchased 2 HP computers for work and they both have Vista
> > Business installed. The server we have is SBS 2003 RC1 and it has a shared
> > fax which all of our XP Pro machines connect through without a problem.
> > I cannot connect Vista Fax and Scan to the shared fax to send faxes but
> > the
> > XP machines work just fine. Any Ideas would be appreciated.
> > --
> > _________
> > Andrew

ASTENG88

Re: Cannot connect Vista Fax and Scan to SBS Shared Fax
Also I have looked at an identical thread and I can see the questions you are
asking and I have done and gone through the same things:
in the NETWORK FAX location in Vista Fax and Scan, I have entered my server
name as:

\\usap-svr1
\\usap-svr1\
usap-svr1
\\USAP-SVR1

etc etc etc

still round and round the wait wheel turns and I cannot even kill the
application, I have to restart because I get the famous windows (not
responding) quote.

I await your reply with a positive fix my MVP friend
--
_________
Andrew

"Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:

> Perhaps you would like to start with what you tried and what happened. Spare
> no detail. Pretend we aren't there watching. Rather hard for us to guess
> what's wrong when you provide no information.
> --
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]
> "ASTENG88" <asteng88@msn.com> wrote in message
> >I just recently purchased 2 HP computers for work and they both have Vista
> > Business installed. The server we have is SBS 2003 RC1 and it has a shared
> > fax which all of our XP Pro machines connect through without a problem.
> > I cannot connect Vista Fax and Scan to the shared fax to send faxes but
> > the
> > XP machines work just fine. Any Ideas would be appreciated.
> > --
> > _________
> > Andrew

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Re: Cannot connect Vista Fax and Scan to SBS Shared Fax
Try dropping the backslashes.
--
> Also I have looked at an identical thread and I can see the questions you
> are
> asking and I have done and gone through the same things:
> in the NETWORK FAX location in Vista Fax and Scan, I have entered my
> server
> name as:
>
> \\usap-svr1
> \\usap-svr1\
> usap-svr1
> \\USAP-SVR1
>
> etc etc etc
>
> still round and round the wait wheel turns and I cannot even kill the
> application, I have to restart because I get the famous windows (not
> responding) quote.
>
> I await your reply with a positive fix my MVP friend
> --
> _________
> Andrew
>

> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
>
>> Perhaps you would like to start with what you tried and what happened.
>> Spare
>> no detail. Pretend we aren't there watching. Rather hard for us to guess
>> what's wrong when you provide no information.
>> --
>> Russ Valentine
>> [MVP-Outlook]
>> "ASTENG88" <asteng88@msn.com> wrote in message
>> >I just recently purchased 2 HP computers for work and they both have
>> >Vista
>> > Business installed. The server we have is SBS 2003 RC1 and it has a
>> > shared
>> > fax which all of our XP Pro machines connect through without a problem.
>> > I cannot connect Vista Fax and Scan to the shared fax to send faxes but
>> > the
>> > XP machines work just fine. Any Ideas would be appreciated.
>> > --
>> > _________
>> > Andrew

ASTENG88

Re: Cannot connect Vista Fax and Scan to SBS Shared Fax
Hi Russ,
Thanks for the reply, but try reading the entire previous posts before
posting a suggestion.
I tried all the combinations with and without backslashes and it still hangs.
I know there is another posting which is unanswered with the same problem.
it seems like no one has the answer to this. could you possibly find out from
one of the guys at microsoft as we seem to be going around in circles here.

Many Thanks
_________
Andrew

"Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:

> Try dropping the backslashes.
> --
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]
> "ASTENG88" <asteng88@msn.com> wrote in message
> > Also I have looked at an identical thread and I can see the questions you
> > are
> > asking and I have done and gone through the same things:
> > in the NETWORK FAX location in Vista Fax and Scan, I have entered my
> > server
> > name as:
> >
> > \\usap-svr1
> > \\usap-svr1\
> > usap-svr1
> > \\USAP-SVR1
> >
> > etc etc etc
> >
> > still round and round the wait wheel turns and I cannot even kill the
> > application, I have to restart because I get the famous windows (not
> > responding) quote.
> >
> > I await your reply with a positive fix my MVP friend
> > --
> > _________
> > Andrew
> >

> > "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
> >
> >> Perhaps you would like to start with what you tried and what happened.
> >> Spare
> >> no detail. Pretend we aren't there watching. Rather hard for us to guess
> >> what's wrong when you provide no information.
> >> --
> >> Russ Valentine
> >> [MVP-Outlook]

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Re: Cannot connect Vista Fax and Scan to SBS Shared Fax
I did read the entire post. Thank you so much for admonishing me to do so.
I will withdraw from offering any assistance and permit you to solve this on
your own by opening a support incident with Microsoft. As a courtesy for the
rest of us, please post back with your solution.
--
> Hi Russ,
> Thanks for the reply, but try reading the entire previous posts before
> posting a suggestion.
> I tried all the combinations with and without backslashes and it still
> hangs.
> I know there is another posting which is unanswered with the same problem.
> it seems like no one has the answer to this. could you possibly find out
> from
> one of the guys at microsoft as we seem to be going around in circles
> here.
>
> Many Thanks
> _________
> Andrew
>

> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
>
>> Try dropping the backslashes.
>> --
>> Russ Valentine
>> [MVP-Outlook]
>> "ASTENG88" <asteng88@msn.com> wrote in message
>> > Also I have looked at an identical thread and I can see the questions
>> > you
>> > are
>> > asking and I have done and gone through the same things:
>> > in the NETWORK FAX location in Vista Fax and Scan, I have entered my
>> > server
>> > name as:
>> >
>> > \\usap-svr1
>> > \\usap-svr1\
>> > usap-svr1
>> > \\USAP-SVR1
>> >
>> > etc etc etc
>> >
>> > still round and round the wait wheel turns and I cannot even kill the
>> > application, I have to restart because I get the famous windows (not
>> > responding) quote.
>> >
>> > I await your reply with a positive fix my MVP friend
>> > --
>> > _________
>> > Andrew

ASTENG88

Re: Cannot connect Vista Fax and Scan to SBS Shared Fax
Hi Russ,
So, no solution then.....

How do I open a support incident with microsoft? Do I have to pay for this?
I really hope its free as vista is (in my opinion) still beta software
although its been released.
--
_________
Andrew

"Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:

> I did read the entire post. Thank you so much for admonishing me to do so.
> I will withdraw from offering any assistance and permit you to solve this on
> your own by opening a support incident with Microsoft. As a courtesy for the
> rest of us, please post back with your solution.
> --
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]
> "ASTENG88" <asteng88@msn.com> wrote in message
> > Hi Russ,
> > Thanks for the reply, but try reading the entire previous posts before
> > posting a suggestion.
> > I tried all the combinations with and without backslashes and it still
> > hangs.
> > I know there is another posting which is unanswered with the same problem.
> > it seems like no one has the answer to this. could you possibly find out
> > from
> > one of the guys at microsoft as we seem to be going around in circles
> > here.
> >
> > Many Thanks
> > _________
> > Andrew
> >

> > "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
> >
> >> Try dropping the backslashes.
> >> --
> >> Russ Valentine
> >> [MVP-Outlook]

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Re: Cannot connect Vista Fax and Scan to SBS Shared Fax
It's free if you're within 90 days of activation.
http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...11732&x=14&y=2

--
> Hi Russ,
> So, no solution then.....
>
> How do I open a support incident with microsoft? Do I have to pay for
> this?
> I really hope its free as vista is (in my opinion) still beta software
> although its been released.
> --
> _________
> Andrew
>

> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
>
>> I did read the entire post. Thank you so much for admonishing me to do
>> so.
>> I will withdraw from offering any assistance and permit you to solve this
>> on
>> your own by opening a support incident with Microsoft. As a courtesy for
>> the
>> rest of us, please post back with your solution.
>> --
>> Russ Valentine
>> [MVP-Outlook]
>> "ASTENG88" <asteng88@msn.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi Russ,
>> > Thanks for the reply, but try reading the entire previous posts before
>> > posting a suggestion.
>> > I tried all the combinations with and without backslashes and it still
>> > hangs.
>> > I know there is another posting which is unanswered with the same
>> > problem.
>> > it seems like no one has the answer to this. could you possibly find
>> > out
>> > from
>> > one of the guys at microsoft as we seem to be going around in circles
>> > here.
>> >
>> > Many Thanks
>> > _________
>> > Andrew

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Re: Cannot connect Vista Fax and Scan to SBS Shared Fax
One other thought. Are you running as an administrator when you are
configuring the client fax software?