scanning into a pdf file

TonyLai

scanning into a pdf file
Hi
I am using HP 7400c with fax and scan. Yes I can scan into fax and scan,
but can oly save file types .bmp, .jpeg, .jpn and tif. For documents tif's
are huge files. Would be much better to save as multipage pdf's, is there an
add on which put pdf's in to the files type list under the save as icon?
I have tried using a pdf printer but that is cumbersome and many key strokes
to achieve the same.
regards
tony

Dan [MSFT]

Re: scanning into a pdf file
Tony,

Windows Fax & Scan does not support add ons at this time. It might be
technically possible for "Save As" to support PDF as an image format.
Without getting into legal stuff, the encoder/decoder would likely be
Adobe's to write & might not be the right solution for your problem.

So the answer is "probably not anytime soon." As for simply making the
files smaller, JPEGs are generally smaller than TIFFs but they don't support
multi-page so I see your problem.

There is talk of a feature that might solve this problem for you in Windows
7, but we are very, very early in the planning stages.

Dan

"TonyLai" <TonyLai@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi
> I am using HP 7400c with fax and scan. Yes I can scan into fax and scan,
> but can oly save file types .bmp, .jpeg, .jpn and tif. For documents
> tif's
> are huge files. Would be much better to save as multipage pdf's, is there
> an
> add on which put pdf's in to the files type list under the save as icon?
> I have tried using a pdf printer but that is cumbersome and many key
> strokes
> to achieve the same.
> regards
> tony

TonyLai

Re: scanning into a pdf file
Thanks Dan
I will continue to work around by printing to a pdf printer then save
looking forward to 7
regards
tony

"Dan [MSFT]" wrote:

> Tony,
>
> Windows Fax & Scan does not support add ons at this time. It might be
> technically possible for "Save As" to support PDF as an image format.
> Without getting into legal stuff, the encoder/decoder would likely be
> Adobe's to write & might not be the right solution for your problem.
>
> So the answer is "probably not anytime soon." As for simply making the
> files smaller, JPEGs are generally smaller than TIFFs but they don't support
> multi-page so I see your problem.
>
> There is talk of a feature that might solve this problem for you in Windows
> 7, but we are very, very early in the planning stages.
>
> Dan
>
> "TonyLai" <TonyLai@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi
> > I am using HP 7400c with fax and scan. Yes I can scan into fax and scan,
> > but can oly save file types .bmp, .jpeg, .jpn and tif. For documents
> > tif's
> > are huge files. Would be much better to save as multipage pdf's, is there
> > an
> > add on which put pdf's in to the files type list under the save as icon?
> > I have tried using a pdf printer but that is cumbersome and many key
> > strokes
> > to achieve the same.
> > regards
> > tony

David A. Lessnau

Re: scanning into a pdf file
Dan,

But, shouldn't the PDF format (and XPS, too) be allowed as options if we've
downloaded the Save As PDF and XPS file for Office 2007?

"Dan [MSFT]" <djanni@microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Tony,
>
> Windows Fax & Scan does not support add ons at this time. It might be
> technically possible for "Save As" to support PDF as an image format.
> Without getting into legal stuff, the encoder/decoder would likely be
> Adobe's to write & might not be the right solution for your problem.
>
> So the answer is "probably not anytime soon." As for simply making the
> files smaller, JPEGs are generally smaller than TIFFs but they don't
> support multi-page so I see your problem.
>
> There is talk of a feature that might solve this problem for you in
> Windows 7, but we are very, very early in the planning stages.
>
> Dan
>
> "TonyLai" <TonyLai@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Hi
>> I am using HP 7400c with fax and scan. Yes I can scan into fax and scan,
>> but can oly save file types .bmp, .jpeg, .jpn and tif. For documents
>> tif's
>> are huge files. Would be much better to save as multipage pdf's, is
>> there an
>> add on which put pdf's in to the files type list under the save as icon?
>> I have tried using a pdf printer but that is cumbersome and many key
>> strokes
>> to achieve the same.
>> regards
>> tony

Dan [MSFT]

Re: scanning into a pdf file
David,

I'm more an expert on Windows Fax and Scan and not so much with the Office
scanning functionality. It may well do what you say.

Dan

"David A. Lessnau" <DavidALessnau@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:24D3DCF6-FEBE-4F15-A3B9-B77E8FA69A2A@microsoft.com...