XP Printer, Access Denied on Vista

To Old To . . .

XP Printer, Access Denied on Vista
When I go to install a network printer on a Vista machine, it gives me access
denied. The printer is on an XPP. In entworking, I can see the other
computers. I can click on the other computers and see the printer. When I try
to connect, it gives me an access denied.
Any thoughts?

Alan Morris [MSFT]

Re: XP Printer, Access Denied on Vista
Can the Vista machine view the contents of the XP machine print$ share?

open a cmd window

dir \\XPmachine\print$

If you get access denied you need to give Everyone read access to this
share.

And review this presentation

Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team

"To Old To . . ." <ToOldTo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> When I go to install a network printer on a Vista machine, it gives me
> access
> denied. The printer is on an XPP. In entworking, I can see the other
> computers. I can click on the other computers and see the printer. When I
> try
> to connect, it gives me an access denied.
> Any thoughts?

To Old To . . .

Re: XP Printer, Access Denied on Vista
Yes, I does. That is why I am not sure what is going on.

"Alan Morris [MSFT]" wrote:

> Can the Vista machine view the contents of the XP machine print$ share?
>
> open a cmd window
>
> dir \\XPmachine\print$
>
> If you get access denied you need to give Everyone read access to this
> share.
>

> And review this presentation

> Alan Morris
> Windows Printing Team

> "To Old To . . ." <ToOldTo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > When I go to install a network printer on a Vista machine, it gives me
> > access
> > denied. The printer is on an XPP. In entworking, I can see the other
> > computers. I can click on the other computers and see the printer. When I
> > try
> > to connect, it gives me an access denied.
> > Any thoughts?

Alan Morris [MSFT]

Re: XP Printer, Access Denied on Vista
Are you running HOME or Pro?

--

> Yes, I does. That is why I am not sure what is going on.
>
> "Alan Morris [MSFT]" wrote:
>
>> Can the Vista machine view the contents of the XP machine print$ share?
>>
>> open a cmd window
>>
>> dir \\XPmachine\print$
>>
>> If you get access denied you need to give Everyone read access to this
>> share.
>>

>> And review this presentation
>>
>> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/net.../vista_fp.mspx
>>

>> --
>> Alan Morris
>> Windows Printing Team

>> rights.
>>
>> "To Old To . . ." <ToOldTo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > When I go to install a network printer on a Vista machine, it gives me
>> > access
>> > denied. The printer is on an XPP. In entworking, I can see the other
>> > computers. I can click on the other computers and see the printer. When
>> > try
>> > to connect, it gives me an access denied.
>> > Any thoughts?

To Old To . . .

Re: XP Printer, Access Denied on Vista
Pro.

"Alan Morris [MSFT]" wrote:

> Are you running HOME or Pro?
>
> --
> Alan Morris
> Windows Printing Team

> "To Old To . . ." <ToOldTo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Yes, I does. That is why I am not sure what is going on.
> >
> > "Alan Morris [MSFT]" wrote:
> >
> >> Can the Vista machine view the contents of the XP machine print$ share?
> >>
> >> open a cmd window
> >>
> >> dir \\XPmachine\print$
> >>
> >> If you get access denied you need to give Everyone read access to this
> >> share.
> >>

> >> And review this presentation
> >>
> >> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/net.../vista_fp.mspx
> >>

> >> --
> >> Alan Morris
> >> Windows Printing Team
> >> Search the Microsoft Knowledge Base here:
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;[ln];kbhowto

> >> rights.

f/fgeorge

Re: XP Printer, Access Denied on Vista
On Tue, 15 May 2007 20:34:00 -0700, To Old To . . .
<ToOldTo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>When I go to install a network printer on a Vista machine, it gives me access
>denied. The printer is on an XPP. In entworking, I can see the other
>computers. I can click on the other computers and see the printer. When I try
>to connect, it gives me an access denied.
>Any thoughts?

Does the printer have a hand under it indicating it is shared? Maybe
you do not have your network settings right.
To Old To . . .

Re: XP Printer, Access Denied on Vista
Well, 5 other XPP machines are printing with no problem. Just not the Vista.
And I do have Vista Drivers, however, it is giving me an access is denied.
The rights on the XPP is set to everyone.

"f/fgeorge" wrote:

> On Tue, 15 May 2007 20:34:00 -0700, To Old To . . .
> <ToOldTo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >When I go to install a network printer on a Vista machine, it gives me access
> >denied. The printer is on an XPP. In entworking, I can see the other
> >computers. I can click on the other computers and see the printer. When I try
> >to connect, it gives me an access denied.
> >Any thoughts?

> Does the printer have a hand under it indicating it is shared? Maybe
> you do not have your network settings right.

acko

RE: XP Printer, Access Denied on Vista

"After a few days playing I managed to fix it on my network I found the
following solution;

I simply ensured that the guest account on the XP machine was active then,
after connecting my Vista machine directly to the printer so it would
identify the printer and load the driver and then re-connecting the printer
to my XP machine I added the following port to the printer on the Vista
machine by right mouse clicking on the new printer and added a new port ;

\\xpmachine\xpprinter name

ticking it as the port once configured.

so in my instance it was

\\MAIN_STUDY\Photosmart 8200 Series

(You get this name from the sharing option on the printer itself on the XP
machine)

It workes perfectly...for me anyway.
Alan Morris [MSFT]

Re: XP Printer, Access Denied on Vista
Verify that everyone has Read access to \windows\system32\spool\drivers and
to the print$ share itself. You will need to disable Simple File Sharing in
any explorer window Folder Options to get the correct security tabs.

When the Vista machine can perform
dir \\XPmachine\print$ and get a list of directories rather than access
denied, the Vista machine can connect and get drivers from the XP machine.

Directory of \\remotemachine\print$

08/04/2005 05:38 PM <DIR> .
08/04/2005 05:38 PM <DIR> ..
05/16/2007 09:22 PM <DIR> color
05/14/2007 09:59 AM <DIR> w32x86
04/28/2006 09:43 AM <DIR> x64

--

> Pro.
>

> "Alan Morris [MSFT]" wrote:
>
>> Are you running HOME or Pro?
>>
>> --
>> Alan Morris
>> Windows Printing Team

>> rights.
>>
>> "To Old To . . ." <ToOldTo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Yes, I does. That is why I am not sure what is going on.

To Old To . . .

RE: XP Printer, Access Denied on Vista
Thank you for your reply. This does work by the way, but I need to find the
right solution that works without goin through so many steps. Home users for
instance, this sould not be a "process" to share a printer.