Windows Fax

Kiwifrog

Windows Fax
It would be a very good idea to reintroduce Windows Fax in all versions of
Vista. Meanwhile it should be available to download.
Why has it been removed anyway? Home users do fax from time to time.
That is another good reason not to advise users in my field not to upgrade
to Vista.
I deplore the removal of contacts in Windows Mail, the Hibernate saving
gauge and more...

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/com...i nt_fax_scan
Mike Hall MVP

Re: Windows Fax
The majority of home users who faxed did so either using Winfax or BVRP
Tools.. any suggestion re using Windows Fax was generally met with hoots of
derision.. most complaints centered around Windows Fax not having enough
features..

So older versions of Winfax and BVRP Tools no longer run under Vista, and
people are now willing and prepared use the featureless Windows Fax..

Snappy Fax is a $30 answer for those who want a fully featured fax program..

--

Mike Hall
MS MVP Windows Shell/User

zingerhill

Re: Windows Fax
Mike,

I don't know where you got this information. The programs you mentioned are
for people replacing a dedicated fax machine. I'm guessing that the vast
majority of people who used Windows fax only needed to send and / or receive
a fax once in a blue moon. I only send maybe 2 faxes a year. I bought
SnappyFax and it's fine, but I don't really need all it's features. The XP
fax tool was fine.

This is a really lame money grab for Microsoft. I find it very petty to
eliminate features that have been in the OS since 95!

"Mike Hall MVP" wrote:

> The majority of home users who faxed did so either using Winfax or BVRP
> Tools.. any suggestion re using Windows Fax was generally met with hoots of
> derision.. most complaints centered around Windows Fax not having enough
> features..
>
> So older versions of Winfax and BVRP Tools no longer run under Vista, and
> people are now willing and prepared use the featureless Windows Fax..
>
> Snappy Fax is a $30 answer for those who want a fully featured fax program..
>

> "Kiwifrog" <Kiwifrog@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > It would be a very good idea to reintroduce Windows Fax in all versions of
> > Vista. Meanwhile it should be available to download.
> > Why has it been removed anyway? Home users do fax from time to time.
> > That is another good reason not to advise users in my field not to upgrade
> > to Vista.
> > I deplore the removal of contacts in Windows Mail, the Hibernate saving
> > gauge and more...
> >
> > ----------------
> > this
> >
> > http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/com...i nt_fax_scan

> --
>

> Mike Hall
> MS MVP Windows Shell/User
> http://msmvps.com/blogs/mikehall/

Mike Hall MVP

Re: Windows Fax
I agree that it was a strange move, BUT whenever I suggested that people use
Windows Fax, the same answer always came back.. personally, I liked Windows
Fax because it was so simple, no fax managers et al..

The people who used fax a great deal liked Winfax pro, and BVRP Tools was
always part of the OEM packages, and also came supplied with every modem..
many didn't even know that Windows Fax even existed..

Also, many now have only broadband and no analogue modem, in which case a
service like eFax is very good for the twice yearly fax party..

"zingerhill" <zingerhill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Mike,
>
> I don't know where you got this information. The programs you mentioned
> are
> for people replacing a dedicated fax machine. I'm guessing that the vast
> majority of people who used Windows fax only needed to send and / or
> receive
> a fax once in a blue moon. I only send maybe 2 faxes a year. I bought
> SnappyFax and it's fine, but I don't really need all it's features. The XP
> fax tool was fine.
>
> This is a really lame money grab for Microsoft. I find it very petty to
> eliminate features that have been in the OS since 95!
>
> "Mike Hall MVP" wrote:
>
>> The majority of home users who faxed did so either using Winfax or BVRP
>> Tools.. any suggestion re using Windows Fax was generally met with hoots
>> of
>> derision.. most complaints centered around Windows Fax not having enough
>> features..
>>
>> So older versions of Winfax and BVRP Tools no longer run under Vista, and
>> people are now willing and prepared use the featureless Windows Fax..
>>
>> Snappy Fax is a $30 answer for those who want a fully featured fax
>> program..
>>

>> "Kiwifrog" <Kiwifrog@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > It would be a very good idea to reintroduce Windows Fax in all versions
>> > of
>> > Vista. Meanwhile it should be available to download.
>> > Why has it been removed anyway? Home users do fax from time to time.
>> > That is another good reason not to advise users in my field not to
>> > upgrade
>> > to Vista.
>> > I deplore the removal of contacts in Windows Mail, the Hibernate saving
>> > gauge and more...
>> >
>> > ----------------
>> > This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the
>> > suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the
>> > "I
>> > Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow
>> > this
>> > link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and
>> > then
>> > click "I Agree" in the message pane.
>> >
>> > http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/com...i nt_fax_scan

>> --
>>

>> Mike Hall
>> MS MVP Windows Shell/User
>> http://msmvps.com/blogs/mikehall/

--

Mike Hall
MS MVP Windows Shell/User
http://msmvps.com/blogs/mikehall/

zingerhill

Re: Windows Fax
I used to use eFax and then they stopped offering free accounts. I checked
the website after your post. I guess they are offering free accounts again.
Thanks for the suggestion! Doesn't solve the send problem, but receiving is
usually more important for me.

"Mike Hall MVP" wrote:

> I agree that it was a strange move, BUT whenever I suggested that people use
> Windows Fax, the same answer always came back.. personally, I liked Windows
> Fax because it was so simple, no fax managers et al..
>
> The people who used fax a great deal liked Winfax pro, and BVRP Tools was
> always part of the OEM packages, and also came supplied with every modem..
> many didn't even know that Windows Fax even existed..
>
> Also, many now have only broadband and no analogue modem, in which case a
> service like eFax is very good for the twice yearly fax party..

Kiwifrog

Re: Windows Fax
Fax is only useful for a few cases not covered by email. The Old clunky
Window Fax was doing the job. Suppressing it from Premium and leaving it to
Business version is extremely silly since business people are supposed to
need something more functionnal anyway whereas us little people would be
happy to be able to use it. A good move wuold have been to leave us the
simple Window Fax and give the Business class a more sophisticated one.
Laptops to my knowledge are still all fitted with Modems, there are a lot of
places in the world that do not get broadband...
All that seems a bad joke, resulting in poor cu$tomer satisfaction...