HP Deskjet 460

Glen

HP Deskjet 460
I am having trouble getting Vista to install correctly the driver for my HP
Deskjet 460 printer. I have tried the following procedures:

Plug printer into USB, vista finds new hardware and I select Locate and
install driver software.
It then tells me to insert the disc that came with Deskjet 460 (which I no
longer have)
So, I select I don’t have disc, show me other options
I select check for other solutions
I then get Windows was unable to install your Deskjet 460. Could not find
driver software for your device.
Then I get Driver installation failed. Please consult with your device
manufacturer for assistance getting this device installed
Which I did and I got the following response:
Dear Glen,

Thank you for your reply.
I am sorry to see that trying to reinstall it with the instructions I have
provided did not seem to resolve the issue. I know how inconvenient this
issue can be.
Glen, please be advised that your unit should be Plug and Play with your
Windows Vista Operating System. However, since you are unable to use it and
you are being prompted that the driver could not be installed, there could be
something wrong with the driver included in your Operating System. In this
regard, I would also advise you to contact the support team of Microsoft at
www.support.microsoft.com
I appreciate your patience and understanding on this matter.Please feel free
to contact us again if you need further assistance.

Sincerely,

Jenny
HP Customer Care

I also tried Browse for software, selected C;\ and included subfolders with
the same reposnse

I then went to Control panel, add printer
Choose printer port – USB001
Install printer driver
Selected HP Deskjet 460 series
It said driver was already installed and which version of the driver do you
want to use
I selected Replace current driver
Said it was installed, but print page didn’t work and no other printing works.
Status of printer is error

Also tried Properties
Ports
USB001
Configure port
“An error occurred during port configuration. This application is not
supported.

So even though it appears the printer is installed, whenever I plug it back
into USB it still says found new hardware and searches for a driver.

Any help would be most appreciated!
Dan [MSFT]

Re: HP Deskjet 460
I'm unclear from your mail if you have the latest driver or not. You could
try uninstalling the printer, downloading the vista one from the link below
& reinstalling it with the new driver software.

HP has several types of DeskJet 460s so you'll need to do the final search
from the following link:

http://welcome.hp.com/country/us/en/...isplay=drivers

Dan

"Glen" <Glen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> [...]
> Choose printer port - USB001
> Install printer driver
> Selected HP Deskjet 460 series
> It said driver was already installed and which version of the driver do
> you
> want to use
> I selected Replace current driver
> Said it was installed, but print page didn't work and no other printing
> works.
> Status of printer is error
>
> Also tried Properties
> Ports
> USB001
> Configure port
> "An error occurred during port configuration. This application is not
> supported.
>
> So even though it appears the printer is installed, whenever I plug it
> back
> into USB it still says found new hardware and searches for a driver.

Thanks Dan,

the HP site actually says that the driver for this printer (mine is type C)
is included in Vista and that there is no need to download anything (and then
goes on to explain the normal installation). Hence, I have been unable to
find a link on their website that would enable me to download a version of
that driver.
I had no trouble installing my Epson printer in my office and other
hardware, it is just this portable printer that is giving me grief.

"Dan [MSFT]" wrote:

> [...]
> > Choose printer port - USB001
> > Install printer driver
> > Selected HP Deskjet 460 series
> > It said driver was already installed and which version of the driver do
> > you
> > want to use
> > I selected Replace current driver
> > Said it was installed, but print page didn't work and no other printing
> > works.
> > Status of printer is error
> >
> > Also tried Properties
> > Ports
> > USB001
> > Configure port
> > "An error occurred during port configuration. This application is not
> > supported.
> >
> > So even though it appears the printer is installed, whenever I plug it
> > back
> > into USB it still says found new hardware and searches for a driver.

Glen,

Let's try forcing the install of the HP 460c driver.

1) Go to your printers folder (from the control panel)
2) Right click on an empty part of the folder.
3) On the pop up menu, select "Run as administrator" and "Server Properties"
4) Elevate as needed
5) Click on the drivers tab
6) Click the Add button
7) Next, next
8) On the Printer Driver Selection page, find the HP Deskjet 460 Series
driver.
9) Next, finish

Now once this driver is installed, you'll need to provoke another PnP
installation event for the printer. This time the hardware wizard should
use the already installed HP driver. If the driver installation fails, or
if the hardware installation still asks you for the driver disk, let us know
& we'll take a look at that.

> [...]
>> > Choose printer port - USB001
>> > Install printer driver
>> > Selected HP Deskjet 460 series
>> > It said driver was already installed and which version of the driver do
>> > you
>> > want to use
>> > I selected Replace current driver
>> > Said it was installed, but print page didn't work and no other printing
>> > works.
>> > Status of printer is error
>> >
>> > Also tried Properties
>> > Ports
>> > USB001
>> > Configure port
>> > "An error occurred during port configuration. This application is not
>> > supported.
>> >
>> > So even though it appears the printer is installed, whenever I plug it
>> > back
>> > into USB it still says found new hardware and searches for a driver.

huwyngr

Re: HP Deskjet 460
In article <#yQ0$9JmHHA.4684@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl>, Dan [MSFT] wrote:

> Let's try forcing the install of the HP 460c driver.

PMJI but he should do this with the printer's USB cable not plugged
into the PC. His first message said:

> Plug printer into USB, vista finds new hardware and I select Locate >

and*install driver software.

I've found that when VISTA (or XP) does this it will install any driver
it has in it's possession as part of the system. I forgot to unplug the
last time I installed VISTA and I was getting both HP's installation
procedure and VISTA's Found New Hardware fighting for attention.

This should not happen if the HP software has been installed first --
it often tells you when to plug in the cable and printer and then goes
on to finish the job or else it goes through to a [Finish] button and
the screen tells you to plug the cable in after pressing [Finish].

Glen

Re: HP Deskjet 460
thanks for that, but unfortuately it didn't work. When I wen to the drivers
tab, the HP 460 driver was already installed (although the printer was not
listed in the printer folder).
Same result as last time though, check Windows update for software, then
decides it cannot find any software, search c:\ for software, can't find any.
Glen.

"Dan [MSFT]" wrote:

> Glen,
>
> Let's try forcing the install of the HP 460c driver.
>
> 1) Go to your printers folder (from the control panel)
> 2) Right click on an empty part of the folder.
> 3) On the pop up menu, select "Run as administrator" and "Server Properties"
> 4) Elevate as needed
> 5) Click on the drivers tab
> 6) Click the Add button
> 7) Next, next
> 8) On the Printer Driver Selection page, find the HP Deskjet 460 Series
> driver.
> 9) Next, finish
>
> Now once this driver is installed, you'll need to provoke another PnP
> installation event for the printer. This time the hardware wizard should
> use the already installed HP driver. If the driver installation fails, or
> if the hardware installation still asks you for the driver disk, let us know
> & we'll take a look at that.
>
> Dan
>
> "Glen" <Glen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thanks Dan,
> >
> > the HP site actually says that the driver for this printer (mine is type
> > C)
> > is included in Vista and that there is no need to download anything (and
> > then
> > goes on to explain the normal installation). Hence, I have been unable
> > find a link on their website that would enable me to download a version of
> > that driver.
> > I had no trouble installing my Epson printer in my office and other
> > hardware, it is just this portable printer that is giving me grief.
> >
> > "Dan [MSFT]" wrote:
> >
> >> I'm unclear from your mail if you have the latest driver or not. You
> >> could
> >> try uninstalling the printer, downloading the vista one from the link
> >> below
> >> & reinstalling it with the new driver software.
> >>
> >> HP has several types of DeskJet 460s so you'll need to do the final
> >> search
> >> from the following link:
> >>
> >> http://welcome.hp.com/country/us/en/...isplay=drivers
> >>
> >> Dan

huwyngr

Re: HP Deskjet 460
Did you see my message to Dan which included:

PMJI but he should do this with the printer's USB cable not plugged*
into the PC. His first message said:

> Plug printer into USB, vista finds new hardware and I select Locate
>*and*install driver software.

It is essential not to have the printer cable plugged into the PC when
you install the HP software.

If you did, as you said at first, then uninstall any software installed
for the HP printer, delete the printer icon and reboot WITH THE USB
CABLE UNPLUGGED!!!!! <g>

You may wish also to use Compatibility mode set to XP with SP2 and Run
as Administrator both of which you can set by right mouse clicking on
the file that starts the HP Software installation, selecting
Compatibility / XP with SP3 and Run as Administrator.

If it's a download and is an exe file then do it to that; if it's the
HP CD that came with the printer (was that XP?) then look for setup.exe
or autorun.exe but don't allow the autoplay to work when you insert the
CD.

Hope that helps.