Printers deployed from WS2003 R2 server

NZSchoolTech

Printers deployed from WS2003 R2 server
Our computers are on a WS2003 domain controller. Using R2 the
Pushprinterconnections application pushes down printer connections to XP
clients from the server.

With a Vista PC joined on, it gets spooler subsystem failures. I
understand it is possible that this could be because the drivers are not
Vista compatible.

How do we get printers that are installed on the servers to have the
right drivers for both XP and Vista clients?
Alan Morris [MSFT]

Re: Printers deployed from WS2003 R2 server
If the driver is included in Vista, use a Vista machine to remotely install
the driver to the server.

If the printer is an HP LaserJet, check the version of a file named
hpbmini.dll on the server in \windows\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3

The file must be version 16 or greater. The file gets copied to the Vista
machine and before installation checks the OS version of the client. The
older file reads OS version 6 and crashes, bring down the spooler at the
same time (this issue also existed when Server 2003 (OS version 5.2) was
released).

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team

"NZSchoolTech" <schoolcomputertech@education.nz> wrote in message
> Our computers are on a WS2003 domain controller. Using R2 the
> Pushprinterconnections application pushes down printer connections to XP
> clients from the server.
>
> With a Vista PC joined on, it gets spooler subsystem failures. I
> understand it is possible that this could be because the drivers are not
> Vista compatible.
>
> How do we get printers that are installed on the servers to have the right
> drivers for both XP and Vista clients?

NZSchoolTech

Re: Printers deployed from WS2003 R2 server

Alan Morris [MSFT]

Re: Printers deployed from WS2003 R2 server
Use a Vista client logged on with the admin user on the print server and
remotely add the drivers to the server system.

START, printmanagement.msc. Add the remote print server.

Now add the Vista drivers to the remote machine

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team

"NZSchoolTech" <nzschooltech@school.nz> wrote in message

> [...]

NZSchoolTech

"Alan Morris [MSFT]" <alanmo@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Use a Vista client logged on with the admin user on the print server and
> remotely add the drivers to the server system.
>
> START, printmanagement.msc. Add the remote print server.
>
> Now add the Vista drivers to the remote machine

Great! When do we get the updated print management console for Windows
Serve?

However, although I have removed all the printers that have the older
drivers from the Group Policy object that deploys them to this PC, the
spooler subsystem is still crashing frequently.

Even with no local or pushed printers installed on the workstation, every
printer that I installed was met with numerous spooler crashes, and I was
only able to complete by repeatedly restarting Print Spooler Service at each
error message.

Next task is to create a GPO to deploy the newly installed printers with the
Vista compatible drivers, but I still don't think it will be reliable enough
at this stage. There must be other reasons why Spooler Subsystem keeps
crashing.

Thanks

NZSchoolTech

Re: Printers deployed from WS2003 R2 server
I have installed all the new printers but the PC still gives spooler
subsystem failures. So far I have only been able to print one test page.

This is my article on how to update printer drivers on a server. If you have
the opportunity, please confirm the details and advise me of any errors
(Please submit a comment to the blog). Thanks.
http://nzschooltech.blogspot.com/200...03-shared.html

"Alan Morris [MSFT]" <alanmo@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Use a Vista client logged on with the admin user on the print server and
> remotely add the drivers to the server system.
>
> START, printmanagement.msc. Add the remote print server.
>
> Now add the Vista drivers to the remote machine
>
> --
> Alan Morris
> Windows Printing Team

> rights.

make sure you remove the old drivers as well.

If the drivers are in use they are probably associated with a printer
connection in another user profile.