Print Spooler is AWOL

McSmiley is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Print Spooler is AWOL
Hi I am not sure this is the right forum but here goes.

I am running Vista Home Premium. I have had to re-install Vista three times since I got my computer about three years ago (the 1st time Vista just crashed, 2nd time I had a virus, and last November I kept having problems with my print spooler and the technician suggested that to fix this we would have to reinstall Vista yet again). I also had a similar problem with the print spooler back in the summer of '09. That problem was fixed by my computer technician and every thing seemed fine.

I run three printers off a hub all connected using USB. I have a Canon Pixma IP4200, HP Laserjet 1012, and a HP Color Laserjet CP1215. The technician who repaired my problem reinstalled all the newest drivers from the manufacturers websites after reinstalling Vista.

On January 1st we used all three printers a number of times. When I went to use the printers on January 2nd, the computer informed me basically I had no printers installed and did I want to install one. I went to Services, thinking I had to restart the print spooler. When I scrolled down I found that the print spooler file had vanished. There was no spooler file.

I have tried going online and following all the fixes offered by others but to no avail. I even went to Microsoft's site and installed and ran their "Fix it" program, I have tried using system restore, again no luck. I have tried going to RUN and "cmd >sc query spooler" and got an error code 1060 -"The specified service does not exist as an installed service" I tried RUN>CMD>sfc /scannow (and put your vista disk inside the drive) and again no luck.

One common thing I did discover however, is that my print spooler problems always seemed to occur right after a Microsoft automatic update. I tried deleting these updates but again to no avail.

After more than 30 hours of research and trying fixes I am very close to giving up and going down to buy an iMac. I hope someone out there has a solution. I do not want to reinstall Vista again! I do not want to spend any more money. One technician has suggested I switch to Windows 7. That means more dollars spent for a new operating system, data backup, and my time. My patience is wearing very thin. Hopefully someone has an answer?
Todd Heiks

Re: Print Spooler is AWOL
Did you try putting it back in the registry?

HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Spooler

"McSmiley" <McSmiley.44dpod@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote in message

> Hi I am not sure this is the right forum but here goes.
>
> I am running Vista Home Premium. I have had to re-install Vista three
> times since I got my computer about three years ago (the 1st time Vista
> just crashed, 2nd time I had a virus, and last November I kept having
> problems with my print spooler and the technician suggested that to fix
> this we would have to reinstall Vista yet again). I also had a similar
> problem with the print spooler back in the summer of '09. That problem
> was fixed by my computer technician and every thing seemed fine.
>
> I run three printers off a hub all connected using USB. I have a Canon
> Pixma IP4200, HP Laserjet 1012, and a HP Color Laserjet CP1215. The
> technician who repaired my problem reinstalled all the newest drivers
> from the manufacturers websites after reinstalling Vista.
>
> On January 1st we used all three printers a number of times. When I
> went to use the printers on January 2nd, the computer informed me
> basically I had no printers installed and did I want to install one. I
> went to Services, thinking I had to restart the print spooler. When I
> scrolled down I found that the print spooler file had *vanished*. There
> was no spooler file.
>
> I have tried going online and following all the fixes offered by others
> but to no avail. I even went to Microsoft's site and installed and ran
> their "Fix it" program, I have tried using system restore, again no
> luck. I have tried going to RUN and "cmd >sc query spooler" and got an
> error code 1060 -"The specified service does not exist as an installed
> service" I tried RUN>CMD>sfc /scannow (and put your vista disk inside
> the drive) and again no luck.
>
> One common thing I did discover however, is that my print spooler
> problems always seemed to occur right after a Microsoft automatic
> update. I tried deleting these updates but again to no avail.
>
> After more than 30 hours of research and trying fixes I am very close
> to giving up and going down to buy an iMac. I hope someone out there has
> a solution. I do not want to reinstall Vista again! I do not want to
> spend any more money. One technician has suggested I switch to Windows
> 7. That means more dollars spent for a new operating system, data
> backup, and my time. My patience is wearing very thin. Hopefully someone
> has an answer?
>

> --
> McSmiley

McSmiley is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Print Spooler is AWOL
No, because I do not know how to do that let alone how to find it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Heiks View Post
Did you try putting it back in the registry?

HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Spooler

"McSmiley" <McSmiley.44dpod@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote in message

> Hi I am not sure this is the right forum but here goes.
>
> I am running Vista Home Premium. I have had to re-install Vista three
> times since I got my computer about three years ago (the 1st time Vista
> just crashed, 2nd time I had a virus, and last November I kept having
> problems with my print spooler and the technician suggested that to fix
> this we would have to reinstall Vista yet again). I also had a similar
> problem with the print spooler back in the summer of '09. That problem
> was fixed by my computer technician and every thing seemed fine.
>
> I run three printers off a hub all connected using USB. I have a Canon
> Pixma IP4200, HP Laserjet 1012, and a HP Color Laserjet CP1215. The
> technician who repaired my problem reinstalled all the newest drivers
> from the manufacturers websites after reinstalling Vista.
>
> On January 1st we used all three printers a number of times. When I
> went to use the printers on January 2nd, the computer informed me
> basically I had no printers installed and did I want to install one. I
> went to Services, thinking I had to restart the print spooler. When I
> scrolled down I found that the print spooler file had *vanished*. There
> was no spooler file.
>
> I have tried going online and following all the fixes offered by others
> but to no avail. I even went to Microsoft's site and installed and ran
> their "Fix it" program, I have tried using system restore, again no
> luck. I have tried going to RUN and "cmd >sc query spooler" and got an
> error code 1060 -"The specified service does not exist as an installed
> service" I tried RUN>CMD>sfc /scannow (and put your vista disk inside
> the drive) and again no luck.
>
> One common thing I did discover however, is that my print spooler
> problems always seemed to occur right after a Microsoft automatic
> update. I tried deleting these updates but again to no avail.
>
> After more than 30 hours of research and trying fixes I am very close
> to giving up and going down to buy an iMac. I hope someone out there has
> a solution. I do not want to reinstall Vista again! I do not want to
> spend any more money. One technician has suggested I switch to Windows
> 7. That means more dollars spent for a new operating system, data
> backup, and my time. My patience is wearing very thin. Hopefully someone
> has an answer?
>

> --
> McSmiley

Todd Heiks

Re: Print Spooler is AWOL
Start by saving that file to your desktop and double clicking it.