Vista Printing and Print Server on Router

jasinwa

Vista Printing and Print Server on Router
Here is my issue:

Using Vista Home basic, I can not get the pc to print to a print server
printer. The data seems to spool and then just sits there, nothing ever
happens, no print, etc.

C88 Epson, using Vista driver for it.

I have a USR wire/wireless router with a built in print server (printer
connects to a USB port on it). Model of router is USR 5461.

Funny enough, this printer work great with W98 and XP on multiple computers!
This PC is a notebook using wireless to connect to the house network. I had
XP on it and it worked fine. Only reinstalling Vista, I can't get the printer
to print!

I even tried setting rules for Windows firewall to allow the specific
address. I know the address I was using was correct, as it works on many
other non-vista PC's.

Anyone have luck using the print server on the USR router?

Any help? Do I need to supply more info?

thx...Jeff
AwesomeSpaceMonkey

RE: Vista Printing and Print Server on Router
I have the exact same problem. USR5461 router, Canon ip3000 printer, works
with XP, not with Vista. Just thought I would let you know you're not alone.

"jasinwa" wrote:

> Here is my issue:
>
> Using Vista Home basic, I can not get the pc to print to a print server
> printer. The data seems to spool and then just sits there, nothing ever
> happens, no print, etc.
>
> C88 Epson, using Vista driver for it.
>
> I have a USR wire/wireless router with a built in print server (printer
> connects to a USB port on it). Model of router is USR 5461.
>
> Funny enough, this printer work great with W98 and XP on multiple computers!
> This PC is a notebook using wireless to connect to the house network. I had
> XP on it and it worked fine. Only reinstalling Vista, I can't get the printer
> to print!
>
> I even tried setting rules for Windows firewall to allow the specific
> address. I know the address I was using was correct, as it works on many
> other non-vista PC's.
>
> Anyone have luck using the print server on the USR router?
>
> Any help? Do I need to supply more info?
>
> thx...Jeff

jasinwa

RE: Vista Printing and Print Server on Router
Good to know, I guess....now if we or someone can figure out why!! I can't go
backwards with a new OS !!

"AwesomeSpaceMonkey" wrote:

> I have the exact same problem. USR5461 router, Canon ip3000 printer, works
> with XP, not with Vista. Just thought I would let you know you're not alone.
>
> "jasinwa" wrote:
>
> > Here is my issue:
> >
> > Using Vista Home basic, I can not get the pc to print to a print server
> > printer. The data seems to spool and then just sits there, nothing ever
> > happens, no print, etc.
> >
> > C88 Epson, using Vista driver for it.
> >
> > I have a USR wire/wireless router with a built in print server (printer
> > connects to a USB port on it). Model of router is USR 5461.
> >
> > Funny enough, this printer work great with W98 and XP on multiple computers!
> > This PC is a notebook using wireless to connect to the house network. I had
> > XP on it and it worked fine. Only reinstalling Vista, I can't get the printer
> > to print!
> >
> > I even tried setting rules for Windows firewall to allow the specific
> > address. I know the address I was using was correct, as it works on many
> > other non-vista PC's.
> >
> > Anyone have luck using the print server on the USR router?
> >
> > Any help? Do I need to supply more info?
> >
> > thx...Jeff

jasinwa

RE: Vista Printing and Print Server on Router
I've been checking other forums. The problem is widespread and no one has
offered a solution.

MS - FIX IT!!
Dan [MSFT]

Re: Vista Printing and Print Server on Router
This probably won't solve your problem, but it will at least let you know
what's probably going on here.

Typically these print server boxes are running some flavor of unix, of which
there are zillions. I can find no documentation on USR's website talking
about what they are running on these boxes. If that flavor of *nix supports
Samba, Vista printing should work with them (this is why Vista will work
with a printer shared from a Mac). However, if they do something else, you
may experience problems.

This is a long shot, but you might be able to try connecting to the printer
with a MASQ connection. In the Add Printer wizard, type in the connection
name of "http://[router ip address]/printers/My_Printer/.printer". If that
doesn't work, you'll have to wait for USR to do something to support the
device on Vista.

Thanks,
Dan

"jasinwa" <jasinwa@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I've been checking other forums. The problem is widespread and no one has
> offered a solution.
>
> MS - FIX IT!!

jasinwa

Re: Vista Printing and Print Server on Router
Thanks....but isn't that a bit BACKWARDS Dan?

Really - you (MS) push a new OS and it can't do what XP did! Since XP worked
fine, I'd think MS should be fixing Vista.

Sorry I sound so negative, but I doubt USR will update an older product just
for Vista. I will have to revert back to XP and could NEVER update to Vista
till this issue is fixed.

Thank you for responding though. Please take this feedback back with you to
the campus.

Jeff

"Dan [MSFT]" wrote:

> This probably won't solve your problem, but it will at least let you know
> what's probably going on here.
>
> Typically these print server boxes are running some flavor of unix, of which
> there are zillions. I can find no documentation on USR's website talking
> about what they are running on these boxes. If that flavor of *nix supports
> Samba, Vista printing should work with them (this is why Vista will work
> with a printer shared from a Mac). However, if they do something else, you
> may experience problems.
>
> This is a long shot, but you might be able to try connecting to the printer
> with a MASQ connection. In the Add Printer wizard, type in the connection
> name of "http://[router ip address]/printers/My_Printer/.printer". If that
> doesn't work, you'll have to wait for USR to do something to support the
> device on Vista.
>
> Thanks,
> Dan
>
> "jasinwa" <jasinwa@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I've been checking other forums. The problem is widespread and no one has
> > offered a solution.
> >
> > MS - FIX IT!!

petrack

Re: Vista Printing and Print Server on Router

for me thisone worked:

1) follow installation guidelines provided by USR (will end up with
a dummy printer > VISTA won't connect with)

2) add another printer but, this time select "add local printer"

3) select internet port and assign adress created during step 1)

4) finally set to standard printer. that's all!

--
petrack
marcello.scala@gmail.com

On 29 Lug, 05:04, petrack <petrack.2ug...@no-mx.forums.net> wrote:
> for me thisone worked:
>
> 1) follow installation guidelines provided by USR (will end up with
> a dummy printer >VISTAwon't connect with)
>
> 2) add another printer but, this time select "add local printer"
>
> 3) select internet port and assign adress created during step 1)
>
> 4) finally set to standard printer. that's all!
>
> --
> petrack

sorry but i don't understand step 1
you can to explain better?

i have same problem

Thanx

petrack

Re: Vista Printing and Print Server on Router

step 1 = printserver installation as described in usr5461 manual
(alternatively find installation procedure on their website).

continue with step 2 ...:geek:

--
petrack
marcello.scala@gmail.com

On 30 Lug, 02:20, petrack <petrack.2ui...@no-mx.forums.net> wrote:
> step 1 = printserver installation as described inusr5461manual
> (alternatively find installation procedure on their website).
>
> continue with step 2 ...:geek:
>
> --
> petrack

is this the problem.