Vista-Lexmark USB Communication Failure

Castagnola is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Vista-Lexmark USB Communication Failure
Hi,

I have an HP Desktop PC that has had a Lexmark X3650 All-In-One (not wireless) attached via USB for almost a year now without problem. The PC has auto Windows Update and an HP driver update switched on.
On either 26/11/09 or 27/11/09 the PC had done a windows Update and reboot. My next attempt to print on 27/11/09 was met with a "Cannot Communicate" error, the print queue shows the request with no status. The printer icon shows as offline.
Here's what I've tried:
Reboot the PC, power off/on the printer, disconnect/reconnect the USB cable, check other devices work on that USB port and cable, print test page from printer menus OK, print photos OK from PictBridge and flashdrive/SD cards on printer. Tried the front USB port on the printer.
As there was no difference in comms, I downloaded a cleanup utility and the latest driver from Lexmark, ran the cleanup (reboot) and started the driver install. At the point where the install requires connection of the USB cable I connected the cable and... nothing.
I tried other USB ports and cables but the PC does not recognise that the printer has been plugged in.
I tried the Windows Fix-It utility that checks the spooler etc., it reported no problems.
I rolled back to before the dates above unsing Windows Restore but no improvement, infact when I boot now I get a FaxMan error and Printer Device error, presumably because of the failed re-installation of the Lexmark drivers.

Can anyone suggest what to try next? Is my printer USB fried or is it Vista simply not playing ball?

## Just to add info, I also made sure that the Windows Firewall had the two Lexmark .exe files suggested by their support tool and tried with my CA Anti Virus switched off.

Last edited by Castagnola : 12-03-2009 at 16:04. Reason: More Info
Cari \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Vista-Lexmark USB Communication Failure
1. Try another USB device on the same port that the printer was on. Does
the 'other' device work?

2. Try the Lexmark printer on another PC (ask a friend if you only have the
single PC). Does it work?

Now you should have a clearer idea about where the problem lies.
--
Cari (MS-MVP)
http://www.coribright.com/windows

"Castagnola" <Castagnola.42mioe@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote in
message news:Castagnola.42mioe@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com...

> Hi,
>
> I have an HP Desktop PC that has had a Lexmark X3650 All-In-One (not
> wireless) attached via USB for almost a year now without problem. The PC
> has auto Windows Update and an HP driver update switched on.
> On either 26/11/09 or 27/11/09 the PC had done a windows Update and
> reboot. My next attempt to print on 27/11/09 was met with a "Cannot
> Communicate" error, the print queue shows the request with no status.
> The printer icon shows as offline.
> Here's what I've tried:
> Reboot the PC, power off/on the printer, disconnect/reconnect the USB
> cable, check other devices work on that USB port and cable, print test
> page from printer menus OK, print photos OK from PictBridge and
> flashdrive/SD cards on printer. Tried the front USB port on the
> printer.
> As there was no difference in comms, I downloaded a cleanup utility and
> the latest driver from Lexmark, ran the cleanup (reboot) and started the
> driver install. At the point where the install requires connection of
> the USB cable I connected the cable and... nothing.
> I tried other USB ports and cables but the PC does not recognise that
> the printer has been plugged in.
> I tried the Windows Fix-It utility that checks the spooler etc., it
> reported no problems.
> I rolled back to before the dates above unsing Windows Restore but no
> improvement, infact when I boot now I get a FaxMan error and Printer
> Device error, presumably because of the failed re-installation of the
> Lexmark drivers.
>
> Can anyone suggest what to try next? Is my printer USB fried or is it
> Vista simply not playing ball?
>

> --
> Castagnola

Castagnola is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Vista-Lexmark USB Communication Failure
Hi,

I tried a camera, a mobile phone, a mouse and a PDA in the USB port, all of which worked once Vista reloaded the drivers.

I'll need to take the printer to a friends house to test on another PC.
Watch this space.

Castagnola is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Vista-Lexmark USB Communication Failure
OK.

I tried the printer on another PC - no response from the PC at all. I returned the printer to the shop as it was still under warranty, and they replaced it with a new one which fired up as soon as I plugged it into my PC.

Thankyou for the advices - I really thought it was Vista playing up.

For all readers - only the USB had gone down on the Lexmark X3650; all other inputs eg PictBridge, SD card, Flashdrive etc. and the scan/copy/print functions were OK. The printer itself reported no failures.

Happy Printing!