Can I use an HP OfficeJet 5610 with both Windows 98SE and Vista 64Home Premium?

SlickRCBD

Can I use an HP OfficeJet 5610 with both Windows 98SE and Vista 64Home Premium?
I know somebody whose father recently died and is closing down his
late father's office. He has some extra computer equipment, and knows
that I commented that I wanted an All-in-one printer. He's offering me
an OfficeJet 5610. However, in order to make room for it, I'd have to
get rid of my existing printer. That is an HP DeskJet 812C.

I have two _functional_ windows computers in the computer room, one
running Windows 98SE, the other running Windows Vista 64-bit Home
Premium, with Windows XP Pro running under virtual pc from time to
time.

Is there any way to hook the OJ5610 up to either computer and share it
so that both can use it? I'm sure that only the Vista computer would
be able to send faxes or do scanning, but that's not important so long
as I'm able to print from both computers with at least the same
capabilities offered by the old OfficeJet 812C. I haven't tried, as I
haven't taken possession of the printer, but I'd like to accept the
offer. However, if it means I have to give up printing on my old
computer, then I'm not sure I'm ready to accept.

The problem I see is a lack of Windows 98 drivers. Will I be able to
print to a Vista share? How would I set it up? Ideally I'd want to set
up two printers, one set for Black and white only, the other color.
Will I be able to do that with the new printer?

I'd like to know the answers to these questions before I start moving
equipment around rather than hook everything up, put the DeskJet 812C
in storage, and then get a nasty surprise in being unable to print.
Ben Myers

Re: Can I use an HP OfficeJet 5610 with both Windows 98SE and Vista64 Home Premium?
SlickRCBD wrote:
> I know somebody whose father recently died and is closing down his
> late father's office. He has some extra computer equipment, and knows
> that I commented that I wanted an All-in-one printer. He's offering me
> an OfficeJet 5610. However, in order to make room for it, I'd have to
> get rid of my existing printer. That is an HP DeskJet 812C.
>
> I have two _functional_ windows computers in the computer room, one
> running Windows 98SE, the other running Windows Vista 64-bit Home
> Premium, with Windows XP Pro running under virtual pc from time to
> time.
>
> Is there any way to hook the OJ5610 up to either computer and share it
> so that both can use it? I'm sure that only the Vista computer would
> be able to send faxes or do scanning, but that's not important so long
> as I'm able to print from both computers with at least the same
> capabilities offered by the old OfficeJet 812C. I haven't tried, as I
> haven't taken possession of the printer, but I'd like to accept the
> offer. However, if it means I have to give up printing on my old
> computer, then I'm not sure I'm ready to accept.
>
> The problem I see is a lack of Windows 98 drivers. Will I be able to
> print to a Vista share? How would I set it up? Ideally I'd want to set
> up two printers, one set for Black and white only, the other color.
> Will I be able to do that with the new printer?
>
> I'd like to know the answers to these questions before I start moving
> equipment around rather than hook everything up, put the DeskJet 812C
> in storage, and then get a nasty surprise in being unable to print.

Here is what I have done to share printers between old and new Windows
operating systems, when one of them lacks drivers.

First, set up the printer where it is supported, on the Vista 64
computer. Next, on the same computer, click the add printer icon.
Select "DeskJet 600 (monochrome)" from the list of HP printers, and
select the SAME port as for the actual printer. Print a test page with
the DeskJet 600 printer alias. If that works, your OfficeJet 5610 uses
a later version of the same HP printer control language built into the
old DeskJet 600. Now set up the printer as shared. The other Windows
98 computer should be able to find the DeskJet 600 on the network and
print to it.

If your Vista 64 computer does not print a DeskJet 600 test page
successfully, you are out of luck trying to print directly from the
Windows 98 computer. On rare occasions, I have found HP printers and
all-in-ones that do not use HP printer control language, and hence they
do not work correctly with the lowest common denominator DeskJet 600.

A couple of weeks ago, I set up an even older OfficeJet on an XP
computer for a client using exactly the method outlined above, after
Best Buy told her (of course!) there was no way to use the printer with
Vista.

I have been away from Windows 98 for a pretty long time, so I do not
remember the exact steps to follow to find and set up a networked printer.

Last of all, the time is right to replace a computer with an 11-year-old
operating system and a browser with more security holes than you or I
can imagine. If you are in eastern Massachusetts, I have a selection of
reconditioned Pentium 4 computers with Windows XP Pro stickers, priced
right, from $100 on up... Ben Myers