Vista spooler keeps stopping

Jan

Vista spooler keeps stopping
Environment:
Vista preminum 32-bit
Printer: Toshiba eS451c, it is a network printer shared a few people in the
office. Other people do not have the problem.

Problem: The spooler keeps stopping without any reason. Restart the
spooler. can initiate print once (prints OK) then it stops again.

Check the spooler's properties, they are:
Startup type: Automatic
Logon as Local System account, "allow service to interact with desktop" -
chekced
Recovery: Restart the service on first failure and second failure, Take no
action on subsequent failure

Would anyone knwo how to fix this problem?

Thanks.

roman modic

Re: Vista spooler keeps stopping
Hello!

"Jan" <Jan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E1C57181-AD3C-4876-BBB3-06D3BD6E3E76@microsoft.com...
> Environment:
> Vista preminum 32-bit
> Printer: Toshiba eS451c,
> it is a network printer shared a few people in the

Model of the printer?

> office. Other people do not have the problem.

Do they use Vista?

Regards, Roman

Cari \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Vista spooler keeps stopping
Almost certainly corrupted drivers. Uninstall and reinstall.
http://www.coribright.com/windows/Article_One.htm

--
Cari (MS-MVP)
http://www.coribright.com/windows

"Jan" <Jan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Environment:
> Vista preminum 32-bit
> Printer: Toshiba eS451c, it is a network printer shared a few people in
> the
> office. Other people do not have the problem.
>
> Problem: The spooler keeps stopping without any reason. Restart the
> spooler. can initiate print once (prints OK) then it stops again.
>
> Check the spooler's properties, they are:
> Startup type: Automatic
> Logon as Local System account, "allow service to interact with desktop" -
> chekced
> Recovery: Restart the service on first failure and second failure, Take no
> action on subsequent failure
>
> Would anyone knwo how to fix this problem?
>
> Thanks.

Jan

Re: Vista spooler keeps stopping
Cari,

Thanks for your suggestion.

There were four printers configured. Three were configured to use local
printer drivers but the fourth one was configured to upload the printer
driver from our server. The uploaded driver is a different version from the
local printer driver though all of them drive the same physical printer. I
think that was the problem.

I deleted all the printers (the fourth printer was difficult to delete, more
about this later) and deleted all installed printer drivers and printers.
Added the three printers again - configured as local printers. The spooler
does not crash anymore.

When deleting the fourth printer, the spooler terminated. As a result, I
could not delete this printer. I restarted the PC, the driver for this
printer was uploaded from the server. This put me back to square one. I
fiddled around for a while including disconnecting network cable (the printer
is a network printer), restarting the PC (multiple times), deleting the wrong
driver (the spooler terminated); not sure the sequence of my actions, I
finallly managed to delete the wrong driver and the fourth printer. Could
you explain to me what is the right sequence to get rid of this "sticky"
situation?

Thanks.