HP Photsmart C6100 series & MS Off. & Image Writer

HB

HP Photsmart C6100 series & MS Off. & Image Writer
-HP Photosmart C6150 All-in-One printer (we are wireless)
-HP Pavilion dv6000 Laptop
-Vista Premium 32-bit
-IE7

In March my husband installed our printer getting a driver from the HP
website because the driver that came with the printer didn't work with
Vista. Everything was working fine. I was able to print from my laptom
with no problems. A couple of days ago I tried to print and nothing
happened. I looked in Control Panel/Printers and my printer was no longer
listed. Instead the MS Off. & Image Writer was listed along with the XPS
Writer. How in the world did I get these two printers on my computer??
The Photosmart is the only printer we own. Could I have updated/downloaded
something along the way that put these printers on my computer? If so,
what??

I deleted these two printers and my husband has been trying to installed our
Photosmart, but no success. Any and all help would be appreciated.

--
HB

Cari \(MS-MVP\)

Re: HP Photsmart C6100 series & MS Off. & Image Writer
One will have come with Office 2003 and the other with Office 2007. I
presume you have these applications on the PCs.

You need to uninstall the actual printer software (not just delete it) and
then reinstall..... the drivers are at HP's website at:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/s... 53491&lang=en

Please note there is a critical update for use on a Vista network available
separately.

--
Cari (MS-MVP)
http://www.coribright.com/windows

"HB" <mhbrest@att.net> wrote in message
> -HP Photosmart C6150 All-in-One printer (we are wireless)
> -HP Pavilion dv6000 Laptop
> -Vista Premium 32-bit
> -IE7
>
> In March my husband installed our printer getting a driver from the HP
> website because the driver that came with the printer didn't work with
> Vista. Everything was working fine. I was able to print from my laptom
> with no problems. A couple of days ago I tried to print and nothing
> happened. I looked in Control Panel/Printers and my printer was no
> longer listed. Instead the MS Off. & Image Writer was listed along with
> the XPS Writer. How in the world did I get these two printers on my
> computer?? The Photosmart is the only printer we own. Could I have
> updated/downloaded something along the way that put these printers on my
> computer? If so, what??
>
> I deleted these two printers and my husband has been trying to installed
> our Photosmart, but no success. Any and all help would be appreciated.
>
> --
> HB

HB

Re: HP Photsmart C6100 series & MS Off. & Image Writer
When I first got my laptop I installed Excel, Word, & PowerPoint 2003 -
nothing else. In my update history I found these two installs:
Compatibility Pack for the 2007 Office Sys.
Office 2003-KB932330-FullFile-ENU.exe

Could these two items be the culprits. Are these what I have to uninstall?
HB

"Cari (MS-MVP)" <NewsGroups@coribright.com> wrote in message
> One will have come with Office 2003 and the other with Office 2007. I
> presume you have these applications on the PCs.
>
> You need to uninstall the actual printer software (not just delete it) and
> then reinstall..... the drivers are at HP's website at:
> http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/s... 53491&lang=en
>
> Please note there is a critical update for use on a Vista network
> available separately.
>
> --
> Cari (MS-MVP)
> http://www.coribright.com/windows
>
> "HB" <mhbrest@att.net> wrote in message
>> -HP Photosmart C6150 All-in-One printer (we are wireless)
>> -HP Pavilion dv6000 Laptop
>> -Vista Premium 32-bit
>> -IE7
>>
>> In March my husband installed our printer getting a driver from the HP
>> website because the driver that came with the printer didn't work with
>> Vista. Everything was working fine. I was able to print from my laptom
>> with no problems. A couple of days ago I tried to print and nothing
>> happened. I looked in Control Panel/Printers and my printer was no
>> longer listed. Instead the MS Off. & Image Writer was listed along with
>> the XPS Writer. How in the world did I get these two printers on my
>> computer?? The Photosmart is the only printer we own. Could I have
>> updated/downloaded something along the way that put these printers on my
>> computer? If so, what??
>>
>> I deleted these two printers and my husband has been trying to installed
>> our Photosmart, but no success. Any and all help would be appreciated.
>>
>> --
>> HB

Cari \(MS-MVP\)

Re: HP Photsmart C6100 series & MS Off. & Image Writer
From the Control Panel, Programs and Features click on the entry for Office
2003, and change the options so that the XPS and Image Writers are not
installed (ie a custom install after the actual install). You may need the
original CDs for Office for this.

The XPS is part of the 2007 Office Compatibility Pack and the Image Writer
is from Office 2003.

Alternatively, within the Printers and Faxes section (where all the printers
show up), right click on each unwanted entry in turn and disable them.
--

> When I first got my laptop I installed Excel, Word, & PowerPoint 2003 -
> nothing else. In my update history I found these two installs:
> Compatibility Pack for the 2007 Office Sys.
> Office 2003-KB932330-FullFile-ENU.exe
>
> Could these two items be the culprits. Are these what I have to
> uninstall?
> HB
>

> "Cari (MS-MVP)" <NewsGroups@coribright.com> wrote in message
>> One will have come with Office 2003 and the other with Office 2007. I
>> presume you have these applications on the PCs.
>>
>> You need to uninstall the actual printer software (not just delete it)
>> and then reinstall..... the drivers are at HP's website at:
>> http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/s... 53491&lang=en
>>
>> Please note there is a critical update for use on a Vista network
>> available separately.
>>
>> --
>> Cari (MS-MVP)
>> http://www.coribright.com/windows
>>
>> "HB" <mhbrest@att.net> wrote in message
>>> -HP Photosmart C6150 All-in-One printer (we are wireless)
>>> -HP Pavilion dv6000 Laptop
>>> -Vista Premium 32-bit
>>> -IE7
>>>
>>> In March my husband installed our printer getting a driver from the HP
>>> website because the driver that came with the printer didn't work with
>>> Vista. Everything was working fine. I was able to print from my
>>> laptom with no problems. A couple of days ago I tried to print and
>>> nothing happened. I looked in Control Panel/Printers and my printer
>>> was no longer listed. Instead the MS Off. & Image Writer was listed
>>> along with the XPS Writer. How in the world did I get these two
>>> printers on my computer?? The Photosmart is the only printer we own.
>>> Could I have updated/downloaded something along the way that put these
>>> printers on my computer? If so, what??
>>>
>>> I deleted these two printers and my husband has been trying to installed
>>> our Photosmart, but no success. Any and all help would be appreciated.
>>>
>>> --
>>> HB

HB

Re: HP Photsmart C6100 series & MS Off. & Image Writer
1. I changed the options in Office 2003 (not an easy thing to find, but I
finally did)
2. I couldn't change the options for Office Compatibility Pack, so I
uninstalled it (I didn't really needed it anyway)
3. I reinstalled my printer - it now works and it is set to be my default
printer, BUT...
It will not print an email. Why isn't it printing emails and where do I go
to configure MS Mail to print with my Photosmart?

Thanks for your help!

> From the Control Panel, Programs and Features click on the entry for
> Office 2003, and change the options so that the XPS and Image Writers are
> not installed (ie a custom install after the actual install). You may
> need the original CDs for Office for this.
>
> The XPS is part of the 2007 Office Compatibility Pack and the Image Writer
> is from Office 2003.
>
> Alternatively, within the Printers and Faxes section (where all the
> printers show up), right click on each unwanted entry in turn and disable
> them.
> --
> Cari (MS-MVP)
> http://www.coribright.com/windows
>
> "HB" <mhbrest@att.net> wrote in message
>> When I first got my laptop I installed Excel, Word, & PowerPoint 2003 -
>> nothing else. In my update history I found these two installs:
>> Compatibility Pack for the 2007 Office Sys.
>> Office 2003-KB932330-FullFile-ENU.exe
>>
>> Could these two items be the culprits. Are these what I have to
>> uninstall?
>> HB
>>

>> "Cari (MS-MVP)" <NewsGroups@coribright.com> wrote in message
>>> One will have come with Office 2003 and the other with Office 2007. I
>>> presume you have these applications on the PCs.
>>>
>>> You need to uninstall the actual printer software (not just delete it)
>>> and then reinstall..... the drivers are at HP's website at:
>>> http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/s... 53491&lang=en
>>>
>>> Please note there is a critical update for use on a Vista network
>>> available separately.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Cari (MS-MVP)
>>> Windows Technologies - Printing & Imaging
>>> http://www.coribright.com/windows

HB

Re: HP Photsmart C6100 series & MS Off. & Image Writer
Darn! I should have tested it before I sent you the other email. This
morning my printer isn't working. It keeps saying it's offline - nothing
will print. Maybe my problem is that I did a simple reinstall. I didn't
uninstall before reinstalling. Any thoughts?
HB

"Cari (MS-MVP)" <NewsGroups@coribright.com> wrote in message
> From the Control Panel, Programs and Features click on the entry for
> Office 2003, and change the options so that the XPS and Image Writers are
> not installed (ie a custom install after the actual install). You may
> need the original CDs for Office for this.
>
> The XPS is part of the 2007 Office Compatibility Pack and the Image Writer
> is from Office 2003.
>
> Alternatively, within the Printers and Faxes section (where all the
> printers show up), right click on each unwanted entry in turn and disable
> them.
> --
> Cari (MS-MVP)
> http://www.coribright.com/windows
>
> "HB" <mhbrest@att.net> wrote in message
>> When I first got my laptop I installed Excel, Word, & PowerPoint 2003 -
>> nothing else. In my update history I found these two installs:
>> Compatibility Pack for the 2007 Office Sys.
>> Office 2003-KB932330-FullFile-ENU.exe
>>
>> Could these two items be the culprits. Are these what I have to
>> uninstall?
>> HB
>>

>> "Cari (MS-MVP)" <NewsGroups@coribright.com> wrote in message
>>> One will have come with Office 2003 and the other with Office 2007. I
>>> presume you have these applications on the PCs.
>>>
>>> You need to uninstall the actual printer software (not just delete it)
>>> and then reinstall..... the drivers are at HP's website at:
>>> http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/s... 53491&lang=en
>>>
>>> Please note there is a critical update for use on a Vista network
>>> available separately.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Cari (MS-MVP)
>>> Windows Technologies - Printing & Imaging
>>> http://www.coribright.com/windows

Cari \(MS-MVP\)

Re: HP Photsmart C6100 series & MS Off. & Image Writer
Uninstall and reinstall..... but also consider changing the USB cable.

Windows Mail.... hmmm, you know I never tried to print from that application
before, I use it only for Newsgroups and use Outlook for email. I work from
a notebook and all the printers are 'attached' to either other PCs on the
network or on the network itself. So today i tried to print from a
posting.... and it tells me I have no printers 'attached' to the notebook...
which of course is true, but they are available for every other application
on the notebook.

I'll have to do some research on that one and get back to you.