Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

Vista Fax Account connection to SBS2003

microsoft.public.windows.vista.print fax scan






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 05-04-2007
Jako Grobler
 

Posts: n/a
Vista Fax Account connection to SBS2003
Hi,

I have been trying all the solutions I could find, but no luck yet.

- We have SBS2003 as our server
- Succesfully upgraded SBS2003 to SP1, all 5 steps
- Even applied "Vista and Outlook 2007 patch" to SBS2003
- All domain users have Fax Operator permissions
- We have a new laptop with Vista Business
- Enabled Microsoft Fax and Scan on Vista laptop

Fun bit:

- Launch Fax and Scan, and add an account
- I type in server name without the \fax, eg: \\catsbs
- Round and round the wait cursor goes
- And more...
- And more...
- Program not responding
- Try again, but try to launch as Administrator in Compatibility menu
- Cannot set compatibility because this application is part of Vista
- Reboot, and log in as domain admin
- Launch Fax and Scan, and add an account
- I type in server name
- Round and round the wait cursor goes
- And more...
- And more...
- Program not responding
- Back to SBS2003 and add fax client to applications to install on client
- Back to laptop and reboot
- Repeat "Fun bit"
- Left wait cursor going for more than 6 minutes once to make coffee

Two days later, and lots of Googling. *Aaarghhhh!*
None of our WinXP PC's have problems connecting to the fax.

Any other suggestions?

Regards,

Jako Grobler
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 05-04-2007
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Vista Fax Account connection to SBS2003
Tried dropping the backslash?

--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"Jako Grobler" <jgrobler@not-this-bit.assetware.co.uk> wrote in message
news:Xns9926B3D688839jgroblernospamassetw@207.46.2 48.16...
> Hi,
>
> I have been trying all the solutions I could find, but no luck yet.
>
> - We have SBS2003 as our server
> - Succesfully upgraded SBS2003 to SP1, all 5 steps
> - Even applied "Vista and Outlook 2007 patch" to SBS2003
> - All domain users have Fax Operator permissions
> - We have a new laptop with Vista Business
> - Enabled Microsoft Fax and Scan on Vista laptop
>
> Fun bit:
>
> - Launch Fax and Scan, and add an account
> - I type in server name without the \fax, eg: \\catsbs
> - Round and round the wait cursor goes
> - And more...
> - And more...
> - Program not responding
> - Try again, but try to launch as Administrator in Compatibility menu
> - Cannot set compatibility because this application is part of Vista
> - Reboot, and log in as domain admin
> - Launch Fax and Scan, and add an account
> - I type in server name
> - Round and round the wait cursor goes
> - And more...
> - And more...
> - Program not responding
> - Back to SBS2003 and add fax client to applications to install on client
> - Back to laptop and reboot
> - Repeat "Fun bit"
> - Left wait cursor going for more than 6 minutes once to make coffee
>
> Two days later, and lots of Googling. *Aaarghhhh!*
> None of our WinXP PC's have problems connecting to the fax.
>
> Any other suggestions?
>
> Regards,
>
> Jako Grobler



Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 05-11-2007
Jako Grobler
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Vista Fax Account connection to SBS2003
"Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <russval@gmail.com> wrote in news:O
$taiyojHHA.1216@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl:

> Tried dropping the backslash?


Tried it without the backslash now, I get the wait cursor like before and a
few minutes later the program stops responding. Reboot only way to close
it.

Tried the following:

\\catserv\fax
\\catserv
catserv

All fail. We got another Vista laptop, making the total 2. Same problem.
The rest of our machines (WinXP SP2) all connect to the fax just fine.

Regards,

Jako

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 05-11-2007
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Vista Fax Account connection to SBS2003
And you're placing the server name where?
Verify that your client software is Vista Windows Fax and Scan.

--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"Jako Grobler" <jgrobler@not-this-bit.assetware.co.uk> wrote in message
news:Xns992D84337F562jgroblernospamassetw@207.46.2 48.16...
> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <russval@gmail.com> wrote in news:O
> $taiyojHHA.1216@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl:
>
>> Tried dropping the backslash?

>
> Tried it without the backslash now, I get the wait cursor like before and
> a
> few minutes later the program stops responding. Reboot only way to close
> it.
>
> Tried the following:
>
> \\catserv\fax
> \\catserv
> catserv
>
> All fail. We got another Vista laptop, making the total 2. Same problem.
> The rest of our machines (WinXP SP2) all connect to the fax just fine.
>
> Regards,
>
> Jako
>



Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 05-21-2007
Jako Grobler
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Vista Fax Account connection to SBS2003
"Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <russval@gmail.com> wrote in
news:eHZvOUBlHHA.3928@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl:

> And you're placing the server name where?
> Verify that your client software is Vista Windows Fax and Scan.


Hi,

Start -> All Programs -> Windows Fax and Scan

In Windows Fax and Scan:

Tools -> Fax Accounts -> Add

Then:

Connect to a fax server on my network

Then on the dialog next to Name:

catserv
\\catserv
\\catserv\fax

In all cases I get an hourglass and eventually I have to reboot the
machine because Windows Fax and Scan stops responding and even Task
Manager cannot end it. I give it between 6 and 10 minutes before I try to
interrupt it, which should be plenty enough to connect.

As I said, our XP machines have no problem connecting to the server fax.

I even tried the whole process again by logging in as the domain admin!

Regards,

Jako
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 05-21-2007
ASTENG88
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Vista Fax Account connection to SBS2003
Hi jako,
I have exactly the same problem.

If you have figured it out or any other suggestions, let me know. No one in
this forum seems to have a clue.

Thanks
--
_________
Andrew


"Jako Grobler" wrote:

> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <russval@gmail.com> wrote in
> news:eHZvOUBlHHA.3928@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl:
>
> > And you're placing the server name where?
> > Verify that your client software is Vista Windows Fax and Scan.

>
> Hi,
>
> Start -> All Programs -> Windows Fax and Scan
>
> In Windows Fax and Scan:
>
> Tools -> Fax Accounts -> Add
>
> Then:
>
> Connect to a fax server on my network
>
> Then on the dialog next to Name:
>
> catserv
> \\catserv
> \\catserv\fax
>
> In all cases I get an hourglass and eventually I have to reboot the
> machine because Windows Fax and Scan stops responding and even Task
> Manager cannot end it. I give it between 6 and 10 minutes before I try to
> interrupt it, which should be plenty enough to connect.
>
> As I said, our XP machines have no problem connecting to the server fax.
>
> I even tried the whole process again by logging in as the domain admin!
>
> Regards,
>
> Jako
>

Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 05-25-2007
Jako Grobler
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Vista Fax Account connection to SBS2003
Does anyone have more suggestions please? This is really frustrating...

Thanks in advance!

Regards,

Jako
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 05-25-2007
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Vista Fax Account connection to SBS2003
This issue has been forwarded to Microsoft who apparently is as stumped as
everyone else. Reposting won't help. This is an end user group. If this was
one of those cases where the end users figure out a solution before
Microsoft does, it would have been posted by now.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"Jako Grobler" <jgrobler@not-this-bit.assetware.co.uk> wrote in message
news:Xns993B764D33F1Bjgroblernospamassetw@207.46.2 48.16...
> Does anyone have more suggestions please? This is really frustrating...
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Regards,
>
> Jako



Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 05-29-2007
Jako Grobler
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Vista Fax Account connection to SBS2003
"Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <russval@gmail.com> wrote in
news:uLum47wnHHA.4592@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl:

> This issue has been forwarded to Microsoft who apparently is as
> stumped as everyone else.


I am available to answer any questions if required regarding the
environment.

Could something like firewalls be the culprit?
Or maybe a service that is not running?
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 05-29-2007
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Vista Fax Account connection to SBS2003
The current bets are on Vista's new and more stringent security
requirements.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"Jako Grobler" <jgrobler@not-this-bit.assetware.co.uk> wrote in message
news:Xns993F7DA20FF7Bjgroblernospamassetw@207.46.2 48.16...
> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <russval@gmail.com> wrote in
> news:uLum47wnHHA.4592@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl:
>
>> This issue has been forwarded to Microsoft who apparently is as
>> stumped as everyone else.

>
> I am available to answer any questions if required regarding the
> environment.
>
> Could something like firewalls be the culprit?
> Or maybe a service that is not running?



Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Vista VPN Connection problem to SBS2003 ben@zeydon.com microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 4 06-30-2008 18:01
Vista Fax to SBS2003 Network Fax =?Utf-8?B?RmVsdGhhbWpvaG4=?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 1 04-10-2007 19:02
REMOTE CONNECTION TO VISTA BUSINESS PC FROM SBS2003 =?Utf-8?B?RHVmZnk=?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking sharing 1 02-16-2007 23:03
cannot set up fax account =?Utf-8?B?ZGVsdGFfSg==?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.print fax scan 6 02-09-2007 21:59




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:59.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120