Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

Win98 printer share is perpetually offline after rebooting Vista

microsoft.public.windows.vista.print fax scan






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 10-10-2009
SlickRCBD
 

Posts: n/a
Win98 printer share is perpetually offline after rebooting Vista
For years, I've had an HP DeskJet 812C connected to the parallel port
on my Win98SE computer. The printer is shared, and I've had no
problems printing from Windows XP.

Enter Windows Vista. I set up Vista to use client-side rendering by
adding a local printer and having it point to the port for the
printer. Everything works fine when I set it up, until I reboot the
Vista computer. When that happens, Vista lists the printer as
"offline" and NOTHING I do will allow it to print again. The only
thing I can do is add another printer, have it point to the same port,
and delete the old printer.

How do I fix this problem, or alternately, how do work around the
problem by making a script to automatically add a local printer set to
print to the shared port on bootup and delete it on shutdown? I have
no idea how to make such a script or if it is even possible.

I'm using Vista 64-bit home premium.

I should mention that this is definitely a Vista problem, because I
have Virtual PC installed on that same computer to run Windows XP Pro
(32-bit) and the virtual machine on the same hardware with the
troublesome Vista as the host OS has absolutely NO problem with the
printer or file shares as far as the Win98SE computer is concerned.
As a consequence I'm resorting to doing all my Office Suite work with
Virtual PC as I don't want the hassle of forgetting to reinstall the
damn printer every time I want to print.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 10-11-2009
Tae Song
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Win98 printer share is perpetually offline after rebooting Vista

"SlickRCBD" <slickrcbdnews@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:74c67c5c-bd31-477c-bb8d-3c0e4055bd37@b2g2000yqi.googlegroups.com...
> For years, I've had an HP DeskJet 812C connected to the parallel port
> on my Win98SE computer. The printer is shared, and I've had no
> problems printing from Windows XP.
>
> Enter Windows Vista. I set up Vista to use client-side rendering by
> adding a local printer and having it point to the port for the
> printer. Everything works fine when I set it up, until I reboot the
> Vista computer. When that happens, Vista lists the printer as
> "offline" and NOTHING I do will allow it to print again. The only
> thing I can do is add another printer, have it point to the same port,
> and delete the old printer.
>
> How do I fix this problem, or alternately, how do work around the
> problem by making a script to automatically add a local printer set to
> print to the shared port on bootup and delete it on shutdown? I have
> no idea how to make such a script or if it is even possible.
>
> I'm using Vista 64-bit home premium.
>
> I should mention that this is definitely a Vista problem, because I
> have Virtual PC installed on that same computer to run Windows XP Pro
> (32-bit) and the virtual machine on the same hardware with the
> troublesome Vista as the host OS has absolutely NO problem with the
> printer or file shares as far as the Win98SE computer is concerned.
> As a consequence I'm resorting to doing all my Office Suite work with
> Virtual PC as I don't want the hassle of forgetting to reinstall the
> damn printer every time I want to print.



Although it doesn't say specifically Vista, the command is available...

How to add printers with no user interaction in Windows
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q189105/

More extensive list of printui.dll commands
http://www.robvanderwoude.com/2kprintcontrol.php

To delete network printer

rundll32 printui.dll,printuientry /dn /n"\\user-pc\HP DeskJet 812C"


To add network printer

rundll32 printui.dll,printuientry /in /q /n"\\user-pc\HP DeskJet 812C"


I only played with it a little bit. Add network printer maybe missing port
information. I couldn't quite get it to work, but it should get you
started.

Let me know how you get it to work.

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 10-11-2009
SlickRCBD
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Win98 printer share is perpetually offline after rebooting Vista
On Oct 11, 6:32*am, "Tae Song" <tae_s...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> "SlickRCBD" <slickrcbdn...@gmail.com> wrote in message
>
> news:74c67c5c-bd31-477c-bb8d-3c0e4055bd37@b2g2000yqi.googlegroups.com...
>
>
>
> > For years, I've had an HP DeskJet 812C connected to the parallel port
> > on my Win98SE computer. The printer is shared, and I've had no
> > problems printing from Windows XP.

>
> > Enter Windows Vista. I set up Vista to use client-side rendering by
> > adding a local printer and having it point to the port for the
> > printer. Everything works fine when I set it up, until I reboot the
> > Vista computer. When that happens, Vista lists the printer as
> > "offline" and NOTHING I do will allow it to print again. The only
> > thing I can do is add another printer, have it point to the same port,
> > and delete the old printer.

>
> > How do I fix this problem, or alternately, how do work around the
> > problem by making a script to automatically add a local printer set to
> > print to the shared port on bootup and delete it on shutdown? *I have
> > no idea how to make such a script or if it is even possible.

>
> > I'm using Vista 64-bit home premium.

>
> > I should mention that this is definitely a Vista problem, because I
> > have Virtual PC installed on that same computer to run Windows XP Pro
> > (32-bit) and the virtual machine on the same hardware with the
> > troublesome Vista as the host OS has absolutely NO problem with the
> > printer or file shares as far as the Win98SE computer is concerned.
> > As a consequence I'm resorting to doing all my Office Suite work with
> > Virtual PC as I don't want the hassle of forgetting to reinstall the
> > damn printer every time I want to print.

>
> Although it doesn't say specifically Vista, the command is available...
>
> How to add printers with no user interaction in Windowshttp://support.microsoft.com/kb/q189105/
>
> More extensive list of printui.dll commandshttp://www.robvanderwoude.com/2kprintcontrol.php
>
> To delete network printer
>
> rundll32 printui.dll,printuientry /dn /n"\\user-pc\HP DeskJet 812C"
>
> To add network printer
>
> rundll32 printui.dll,printuientry /in /q /n"\\user-pc\HP DeskJet 812C"
>
> I only played with it a little bit. *Add network printer maybe missing port
> information. *I couldn't quite get it to work, but it should get you
> started.
>
> Let me know how you get it to work.


Ok, I got the add printer part to work so far.
The Vista computer is named Gateway, which reflects the brand rather
than it being used as an internet gateway.
The Win98SE computer is named Slickswintel, which reflects my attitude
at the time being forced to ditch my Mac in favor of a Wintel because
I needed to run Visual Studio 6 and Excel for school.

The printer is shared as hp812c and hp812g, one for color & one for
B&W.
Here's how I got the command to work:
rundll32 printui.dll,PrintUIEntry /if /b "HP DeskJet 812C" /c\
\GATEWAY /f "%windir%inf\ntprint.inf" /r "\\slickswintel\hp812c" /m
"HP DeskJet 812C"

I'm going to try seeing if sticking it in my startup folder will make
me able to printer after I shut down and turn the computers back on.
The only problem I can see is if I don't have the win98 machine booted
up when I turn the Vista comptuer on, since oddly enough Vista tends
to boot slightly faster.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 10-12-2009
Tae Song
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Win98 printer share is perpetually offline after rebooting Vista

"SlickRCBD" <slickrcbdnews@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:3592479b-2ce0-45b8-a747-9b5859c3be7a@k17g2000yqb.googlegroups.com...
> On Oct 11, 6:32 am, "Tae Song" <tae_s...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> "SlickRCBD" <slickrcbdn...@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>> news:74c67c5c-bd31-477c-bb8d-3c0e4055bd37@b2g2000yqi.googlegroups.com...
>>
>>
>>
>> > For years, I've had an HP DeskJet 812C connected to the parallel port
>> > on my Win98SE computer. The printer is shared, and I've had no
>> > problems printing from Windows XP.

>>
>> > Enter Windows Vista. I set up Vista to use client-side rendering by
>> > adding a local printer and having it point to the port for the
>> > printer. Everything works fine when I set it up, until I reboot the
>> > Vista computer. When that happens, Vista lists the printer as
>> > "offline" and NOTHING I do will allow it to print again. The only
>> > thing I can do is add another printer, have it point to the same port,
>> > and delete the old printer.

>>
>> > How do I fix this problem, or alternately, how do work around the
>> > problem by making a script to automatically add a local printer set to
>> > print to the shared port on bootup and delete it on shutdown? I have
>> > no idea how to make such a script or if it is even possible.

>>
>> > I'm using Vista 64-bit home premium.

>>
>> > I should mention that this is definitely a Vista problem, because I
>> > have Virtual PC installed on that same computer to run Windows XP Pro
>> > (32-bit) and the virtual machine on the same hardware with the
>> > troublesome Vista as the host OS has absolutely NO problem with the
>> > printer or file shares as far as the Win98SE computer is concerned.
>> > As a consequence I'm resorting to doing all my Office Suite work with
>> > Virtual PC as I don't want the hassle of forgetting to reinstall the
>> > damn printer every time I want to print.

>>
>> Although it doesn't say specifically Vista, the command is available...
>>
>> How to add printers with no user interaction in
>> Windowshttp://support.microsoft.com/kb/q189105/
>>
>> More extensive list of printui.dll
>> commandshttp://www.robvanderwoude.com/2kprintcontrol.php
>>
>> To delete network printer
>>
>> rundll32 printui.dll,printuientry /dn /n"\\user-pc\HP DeskJet 812C"
>>
>> To add network printer
>>
>> rundll32 printui.dll,printuientry /in /q /n"\\user-pc\HP DeskJet 812C"
>>
>> I only played with it a little bit. Add network printer maybe missing
>> port
>> information. I couldn't quite get it to work, but it should get you
>> started.
>>
>> Let me know how you get it to work.

>
> Ok, I got the add printer part to work so far.
> The Vista computer is named Gateway, which reflects the brand rather
> than it being used as an internet gateway.
> The Win98SE computer is named Slickswintel, which reflects my attitude
> at the time being forced to ditch my Mac in favor of a Wintel because
> I needed to run Visual Studio 6 and Excel for school.
>
> The printer is shared as hp812c and hp812g, one for color & one for
> B&W.
> Here's how I got the command to work:
> rundll32 printui.dll,PrintUIEntry /if /b "HP DeskJet 812C" /c\
> \GATEWAY /f "%windir%inf\ntprint.inf" /r "\\slickswintel\hp812c" /m
> "HP DeskJet 812C"
>
> I'm going to try seeing if sticking it in my startup folder will make
> me able to printer after I shut down and turn the computers back on.
> The only problem I can see is if I don't have the win98 machine booted
> up when I turn the Vista comptuer on, since oddly enough Vista tends
> to boot slightly faster.


Cool, thanks!

Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 10-15-2009
SlickRCBD
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Win98 printer share is perpetually offline after rebooting Vista
On Oct 12, 8:40*am, "Tae Song" <tae_s...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> "SlickRCBD" <slickrcbdn...@gmail.com> wrote in message
>
> news:3592479b-2ce0-45b8-a747-9b5859c3be7a@k17g2000yqb.googlegroups.com...
>
>
>
> > On Oct 11, 6:32 am, "Tae Song" <tae_s...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >> "SlickRCBD" <slickrcbdn...@gmail.com> wrote in message

>
> >>news:74c67c5c-bd31-477c-bb8d-3c0e4055bd37@b2g2000yqi.googlegroups.com....

>
> >> > For years, I've had an HP DeskJet 812C connected to the parallel port
> >> > on my Win98SE computer. The printer is shared, and I've had no
> >> > problems printing from Windows XP.

>
> >> > Enter Windows Vista. I set up Vista to use client-side rendering by
> >> > adding a local printer and having it point to the port for the
> >> > printer. Everything works fine when I set it up, until I reboot the
> >> > Vista computer. When that happens, Vista lists the printer as
> >> > "offline" and NOTHING I do will allow it to print again. The only
> >> > thing I can do is add another printer, have it point to the same port,
> >> > and delete the old printer.

>
> >> > How do I fix this problem, or alternately, how do work around the
> >> > problem by making a script to automatically add a local printer set to
> >> > print to the shared port on bootup and delete it on shutdown? *I have
> >> > no idea how to make such a script or if it is even possible.

>
> >> > I'm using Vista 64-bit home premium.

>
> >> > I should mention that this is definitely a Vista problem, because I
> >> > have Virtual PC installed on that same computer to run Windows XP Pro
> >> > (32-bit) and the virtual machine on the same hardware with the
> >> > troublesome Vista as the host OS has absolutely NO problem with the
> >> > printer or file shares as far as the Win98SE computer is concerned.
> >> > As a consequence I'm resorting to doing all my Office Suite work with
> >> > Virtual PC as I don't want the hassle of forgetting to reinstall the
> >> > damn printer every time I want to print.

>
> >> Although it doesn't say specifically Vista, the command is available....

>
> >> How to add printers with no user interaction in
> >> Windowshttp://support.microsoft.com/kb/q189105/

>
> >> More extensive list of printui.dll
> >> commandshttp://www.robvanderwoude.com/2kprintcontrol.php

>
> >> To delete network printer

>
> >> rundll32 printui.dll,printuientry /dn /n"\\user-pc\HP DeskJet 812C"

>
> >> To add network printer

>
> >> rundll32 printui.dll,printuientry /in /q /n"\\user-pc\HP DeskJet 812C"

>
> >> I only played with it a little bit. *Add network printer maybe missing
> >> port
> >> information. *I couldn't quite get it to work, but it should get you
> >> started.

>
> >> Let me know how you get it to work.

>
> > Ok, I got the add printer part to work so far.
> > The Vista computer is named Gateway, which reflects the brand rather
> > than it being used as an internet gateway.
> > The Win98SE computer is named Slickswintel, which reflects my attitude
> > at the time being forced to ditch my Mac in favor of a Wintel because
> > I needed to run Visual Studio 6 and Excel for school.

>
> > The printer is shared as hp812c and hp812g, one for color & one for
> > B&W.
> > Here's how I got the command to work:
> > rundll32 printui.dll,PrintUIEntry /if /b "HP DeskJet 812C" /c\
> > \GATEWAY /f "%windir%inf\ntprint.inf" /r "\\slickswintel\hp812c" /m
> > "HP DeskJet 812C"

>
> > I'm going to try seeing if sticking it in my startup folder will make
> > me able to printer after I shut down and turn the computers back on.
> > The only problem I can see is if I don't have the win98 machine booted
> > up when I turn the Vista comptuer on, since oddly enough Vista tends
> > to boot slightly faster.

>
> Cool, thanks!


Here's the final version of the batch file. The Win98 computer is
named Slickswintel, the Vista computer is gateway because I found that
slicksgateway was too long and causing problems, and the printer is
shared as hp812c. The local driver used is called HP DeskJet 812C".

Here's a question, what is the "proper" way to stick things in the
startup folder for all users under Vista Home Premium? I had a hard
time finding the correct folder and it seems I was doing things the
hard way and UAC went nuts asking me to confirm about 5 times. I miss
the "start menu programs" option under Windows 98.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 10-21-2009
SlickRCBD
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Win98 printer share is perpetually offline after rebooting Vista
On Oct 15, 12:31*am, SlickRCBD <slickrcbdn...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>
> Here's the final version of the batch file. The Win98 computer is
> named Slickswintel, the Vista computer is gateway because I found that
> slicksgateway was too long and causing problems, and the printer is
> shared as hp812c. The local driver used is called HP DeskJet 812C".
>
> Here's a question, what is the "proper" way to stick things in the
> startup folder for all users under Vista Home Premium? I had a hard
> time finding the correct folder and it seems I was doing things the
> hard way and UAC went nuts asking me to confirm about 5 times. I miss
> the "start menu programs" option under Windows 98.


I don't know why the paste-in didn't show up. It is only two lines.
I'll try again. Sorry I took so long, I don't normally read my own
posts.
rundll32 printui.dll,PrintUIEntry /dl /n "hp812c" /c\\GATEWAY
rundll32 printui.dll,PrintUIEntry /if /b "HP812c" /c\\GATEWAY /f
"%windir%\inf\ntprint.inf" /r "\\Slickswintel\hp812c" /m "HP DeskJet
812C"
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Trouble sharing Win98 Printer with Vista Warren microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking sharing 0 09-23-2008 14:28
Vista reports shared printer offline after rebooting Paddy microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking sharing 3 10-29-2007 08:20
Printer Sharing Win98 and Vista Jimmy microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking sharing 5 05-11-2007 05:45
vista & xp on 2 computers, 1 printer- can they share the printer? Sarah microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking sharing 3 05-01-2007 23:56
Printing from Vista machine to Win98 attached printer =?Utf-8?B?Sm9obm55Tw==?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.print fax scan 1 04-23-2007 07:03




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:31.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120