Adding a network printer

cwilcoxson

Adding a network printer
I have a brand new (out of the box two days now) Fujitsu Tablet and I'm
trying to get it setup for use here in the school I work in. So far, I have
updated Vista, installed Anti-virus, Google Pack, Firefox; and setup a
student account. I am trying to add a network printer under the
Administrator account and I keep getting this error:

Printer driver was not install. Operation could not be completed (error
0x000005b3).

I saw this on the other units I tried to install a network printer on, but I
was logged in as the student at the time. Both of those seemed to work fine
installing this printer under the Admin account. What is this error and how
do I work around it?
Alan Morris [MSFT]

Re: Adding a network printer
Not sure what this means. Are there any printer configuration dialog boxes
that come up when you successfully add the connection?

ERROR_REQUIRES_INTERACTIVE_WINDOWSTATION

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team

"cwilcoxson" <cwilcoxson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a brand new (out of the box two days now) Fujitsu Tablet and I'm
> trying to get it setup for use here in the school I work in. So far, I
> have
> updated Vista, installed Anti-virus, Google Pack, Firefox; and setup a
> student account. I am trying to add a network printer under the
> Administrator account and I keep getting this error:
>
> Printer driver was not install. Operation could not be completed (error
> 0x000005b3).
>
> I saw this on the other units I tried to install a network printer on, but
> was logged in as the student at the time. Both of those seemed to work
> fine
> installing this printer under the Admin account. What is this error and
> how
> do I work around it?

cwilcoxson

Re: Adding a network printer
Thanks for your help Alan. No. It follows the standard wizard until I hit
the button to finish setting it up. Here's what I see:

I choose the printer from the network printer list, it finds it, talks to
it, and knows what kind of printer it is, and then brings up a form that
allows me to name it. I name it the same way we name all our printers (and
the same way I named them on the other two tablets just like this one) and
hit the Next button (or Install or Finish...don't remember). It says
"Installing printer"...looks like it's installing something...waits about 5
or so minutes....then gives that error. I've tried it several times today
and I get the same thing.

I saw the other posting about the developer's notes about the "interactive
windowstation" error, but that doesn't relate to what I'm seeing.

I also tried downloading the driver for that printer from HP and it started
the same process and looked like it was going to be successful, but gave a
slightly different error. I'll post that tomorrow when I'm back in front of
the machine again.

Thanks for the help
Chris

"Alan Morris [MSFT]" wrote:

> Not sure what this means. Are there any printer configuration dialog boxes
> that come up when you successfully add the connection?
>
> ERROR_REQUIRES_INTERACTIVE_WINDOWSTATION
>
> --
> Alan Morris
> Windows Printing Team

> "cwilcoxson" <cwilcoxson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have a brand new (out of the box two days now) Fujitsu Tablet and I'm
> > trying to get it setup for use here in the school I work in. So far, I
> > have
> > updated Vista, installed Anti-virus, Google Pack, Firefox; and setup a
> > student account. I am trying to add a network printer under the
> > Administrator account and I keep getting this error:
> >
> > Printer driver was not install. Operation could not be completed (error
> > 0x000005b3).
> >
> > I saw this on the other units I tried to install a network printer on, but
> > was logged in as the student at the time. Both of those seemed to work
> > fine
> > installing this printer under the Admin account. What is this error and
> > how
> > do I work around it?

Dan [MSFT]

Re: Adding a network printer
Chris,

That error typically comes up when the driver installation process needs to
produce some UI but can't for some reason. I've seen it a bunch when I'm
trying to install a printer on a remote computer with a non-trusted driver,
or when the driver is missing a file & needs the user to browse (also in the
remote case). Are you using the Add Printer wizard or Network Add Printer
wizard to remotely install a printer? Also, have you made any changes to
UAC (other than running as admin)?

If you are installing remotely, a quick work around would be to install
locally & deal with any UI that comes up. Longer term, you might want to
sign the driver & deal with making the package trusted. If you aren't doing
the remote thing, work directly on getting the driver installed on the
machine first & then work on the connection. You mentioned that you had
difficulty with the driver installation from HP--this is probably at the
heart of the issue. The error information from that might give us another
way to proceed.

Dan

> Thanks for your help Alan. No. It follows the standard wizard until I
> hit
> the button to finish setting it up. Here's what I see:
>
> I choose the printer from the network printer list, it finds it, talks to
> it, and knows what kind of printer it is, and then brings up a form that
> allows me to name it. I name it the same way we name all our printers
> (and
> the same way I named them on the other two tablets just like this one) and
> hit the Next button (or Install or Finish...don't remember). It says
> "Installing printer"...looks like it's installing something...waits about
> 5
> or so minutes....then gives that error. I've tried it several times today
> and I get the same thing.
>
> I saw the other posting about the developer's notes about the "interactive
> windowstation" error, but that doesn't relate to what I'm seeing.
>
> I also tried downloading the driver for that printer from HP and it
> started
> the same process and looked like it was going to be successful, but gave a
> slightly different error. I'll post that tomorrow when I'm back in front
> of
> the machine again.
>
> Thanks for the help
> Chris
>

> "Alan Morris [MSFT]" wrote:
>
>> Not sure what this means. Are there any printer configuration dialog
>> boxes
>> that come up when you successfully add the connection?
>>
>> ERROR_REQUIRES_INTERACTIVE_WINDOWSTATION
>>
>> --
>> Alan Morris
>> Windows Printing Team

>> rights.
>>
>> "cwilcoxson" <cwilcoxson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I have a brand new (out of the box two days now) Fujitsu Tablet and I'm
>> > trying to get it setup for use here in the school I work in. So far, I
>> > have
>> > updated Vista, installed Anti-virus, Google Pack, Firefox; and setup a
>> > student account. I am trying to add a network printer under the
>> > Administrator account and I keep getting this error:
>> >
>> > Printer driver was not install. Operation could not be completed
>> > (error
>> > 0x000005b3).
>> >
>> > I saw this on the other units I tried to install a network printer on,
>> > but
>> > was logged in as the student at the time. Both of those seemed to work
>> > fine
>> > installing this printer under the Admin account. What is this error
>> > and
>> > how
>> > do I work around it?

cwilcoxson

Re: Adding a network printer
Thanks for the info Dan. FYI - I haven't changed anything in the UAC.

Looks like I lied, it's the same message (just tried it again). I am on the
machine, installing a network-based printer. I get the same results whether
I:
*install it as a network printer
*install it as a local printer on a TCP/IP port
*install the driver with traditional method and then a network printer
*install the driver with dynamic method and a network printer.

Here's the exact process I'm using and getting that error:

*Downloaded the zipped driver package and uncompressed into a folder.
*Double clicked on "Install" in that folder. UAC comes up and asks if I
trust this program, I choose Yes.
*License agreement - choose yes
*Asks if I want traditional mode or dynamic mode - I choose traditional
*It begins installing the driver and immediately asks to install a printer.
After 15 minutes of waiting for it to finish, I'm assuming that it's waiting
on me to choose a printer, so go to the choose a printer dialog (I didn't
close it, just moved it to the side). I choose the same printer, it makes
contact with the printer, and asks me to name it. I do so, same process as
before, and click Next. It begins the "Installing printer..." scrolling
*After a 10 minute wait, I get the same error message as before. I didn't
get any additional popups or notifications.

I also tried the same process and chose dynamically instead of traditional,
and I get this error: Operation could not be completed (error 0x000005b3).

I also tried it again, just going through Control Panel to add another
printer, same deal.

Since I'm not getting any other errors or notifications, what should I try
here?

Thanks
Chris
Dan [MSFT]

Re: Adding a network printer
Ok, I gotta say, I'm completely confounded by this. I've got a couple of
questions & suggestions, & if they don't work, you'll have to talk to HP.

1) Does the driver say that it supports Vista? You said you downloaded it
from HP, did it specifically list Vista as a supported OS? What is the
model of your printer?

2) You could try running their driver installation program when logged on as
"Administrator". This would eleminate the UAC elevation & *might* make a
difference.

It seems pretty clear that the issue has to do with driver installation &
not with the printer installlation here. You may just need to work with HP
for a resolution. Sorry I can't offer much more than that.

Dan

> Thanks for the info Dan. FYI - I haven't changed anything in the UAC.
>
> Looks like I lied, it's the same message (just tried it again). I am on
> the
> machine, installing a network-based printer. I get the same results
> whether
> I:
> *install it as a network printer
> *install it as a local printer on a TCP/IP port
> *install the driver with traditional method and then a network printer
> *install the driver with dynamic method and a network printer.
>
> Here's the exact process I'm using and getting that error:
>
> *Downloaded the zipped driver package and uncompressed into a folder.
> *Double clicked on "Install" in that folder. UAC comes up and asks if I
> trust this program, I choose Yes.
> *License agreement - choose yes
> *Asks if I want traditional mode or dynamic mode - I choose traditional
> *It begins installing the driver and immediately asks to install a
> printer.
> After 15 minutes of waiting for it to finish, I'm assuming that it's
> waiting
> on me to choose a printer, so go to the choose a printer dialog (I didn't
> close it, just moved it to the side). I choose the same printer, it makes
> contact with the printer, and asks me to name it. I do so, same process
> as
> before, and click Next. It begins the "Installing printer..." scrolling
> *After a 10 minute wait, I get the same error message as before. I didn't
> get any additional popups or notifications.
>
> I also tried the same process and chose dynamically instead of
> traditional,
> and I get this error: Operation could not be completed (error 0x000005b3).
>
> I also tried it again, just going through Control Panel to add another
> printer, same deal.
>
> Since I'm not getting any other errors or notifications, what should I try
> here?
>
> Thanks
> Chris

loosedial

Re: Adding a network printer

Hi...

Having the same issue here trying to install a printer driver...
wondering if anyone has found a work around in the last few weeks?

--
loosedial
loosedial's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=30512

http://forums.techarena.in

Cari \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Adding a network printer
What make and model of printer and what is your definition of a 'network
printer'? For example, is the printer on a print server, or attached to
another PC? If another PC, what operating system is that particular PC
running and what O/S is your PC running? More info needed.
--
Cari (MS-MVP)
http://www.coribright.com/windows

"loosedial" <loosedial.2wgsre@DoNotSpam.com> wrote in message

> Hi...
>
> Having the same issue here trying to install a printer driver...
> wondering if anyone has found a work around in the last few weeks?
>

> --
> loosedial
> loosedial's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=30512
> View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=740691
>
> http://forums.techarena.in

loosedial

Re: Adding a network printer

My situation...

My workstation is an HP Pavillion dv6000 laptop running Vista home
premium.

I log into the local machine and then log in to our university's
network in order to access file and print services.

I'm trying to print to any one of several network printers... but when
I connect to the printer, a dialog box asks me if it's ok to install
the printer driver... I say 'install driver'... and then another box
comes up and says "Windows cannot connect to printer. Access is
denied."

So... fine. I tried to install the printer as a local printer directed
to a network share (\\server\printername). But when I select the driver
to install: "Printer driver was not installed. Operation could not be
completed (error 0x000005b3)."

So now I'm curious... what if I connect to a printer via USB? Computer
recognizes printer... but again "Printer driver was not installed.
Operation could not be completed (error 0x000005b3)."

Also... when I tried to install Acrobat Professional... I received a
message that I think may be related: "Error 1304. Error writing to
file. C:\windows\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86\adpdf7.pp d. Verify that
you have access to that directory."

I'm an administrator on the local machine, but I'm getting a sense that
I don't have the ability to install (some?) drivers.

Any ideas?

--
loosedial
loosedial's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=30512
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=740691

http://forums.techarena.in

ajes

Re: Adding a network printer

Hey Loosedial,
I have the exact same problem and the exact same laptop model running
vista home premium. Have you found a solution to the problem yet?

best regards,
ajes

--
ajes