Problems connecting to Shared HP Deskjet 932C Printer

mapanggulo

Problems connecting to Shared HP Deskjet 932C Printer

Need some possible insight into finding a solution for a printer
problem.

I'm trying to connect to a printer shared over a home network. Here's
some of the specifics (will provide more if needed/asked for).

Printer HP Deskjet 932C that is physically hooked to a generic home
built computer running Windows XP.

There are two laptops that I am currently trying to connect so that
they can print directly to this printer via the home network that all
laptop the first laptop is a

Toshiba running Windows Vista Home Premium 32bit w/service pack 1

the other is an

ASUS running Windows Vista Home Premium 64bit w/service pack 1

I've already been to and searched HP's site for an appropriate driver
but there is no Vista drivers for this printer listed on their site. HP
states that the there is no Vista printer driver for this printer and
lists a work around using the basic driver in Vista. Problem with their
work around is that its for physically hooking a the printer up via
USB/Parallel and I'm trying to do it via my home network. I've looked
through out the following folder
(C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\ ) to try to find the
right driver but can't figure out which one to use.

Any ideas or work arounds?

--
mapanggulo
Alan Morris [MSFT]

Re: Problems connecting to Shared HP Deskjet 932C Printer
Most likely the print driver name on XP is not the same name for the driver
included in Vista.

You will need to create an SMB (server messaging block) connection rather
than an RPC connection to the device. This is basically like printing the
job to file and copying the file to \\XPmachine\printer. For simplicity
make sure the printer share name does not contain spaces.

Add
Local Printer
Create Local Port in the format \\XPmachine\printer
Select the driver included in Vista from the list.

Next...

Finish

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team

"mapanggulo" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> Need some possible insight into finding a solution for a printer
> problem.
>
> I'm trying to connect to a printer shared over a home network. Here's
> some of the specifics (will provide more if needed/asked for).
>
> Printer HP Deskjet 932C that is physically hooked to a generic home
> built computer running Windows XP.
>
> There are two laptops that I am currently trying to connect so that
> they can print directly to this printer via the home network that all
> laptop the first laptop is a
>
> Toshiba running Windows Vista Home Premium 32bit w/service pack 1
>
> the other is an
>
> ASUS running Windows Vista Home Premium 64bit w/service pack 1
>

> I've already been to and searched HP's site for an appropriate driver
> but there is no Vista drivers for this printer listed on their site. HP
> states that the there is no Vista printer driver for this printer and
> lists a work around using the basic driver in Vista. Problem with their
> work around is that its for physically hooking a the printer up via
> USB/Parallel and I'm trying to do it via my home network. I've looked
> through out the following folder
> (C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\ ) to try to find the
> right driver but can't figure out which one to use.
>
> Any ideas or work arounds?
>

> --
> mapanggulo

DigitalMediaManiac is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Problems connecting to Shared HP Deskjet 932C Printer
I had a similar problem and found a simple fix for changing the print driver name on XP so that it matched the name for the driver included in Vista.
On the XP PC that is sharing the printer, open the printer's Properties window. In the Advanced Tab try to choose the driver name that the Vista PC can recognize. For example: in my case I changed "HP Deskjet 960c series" to "HP Deskjet 960c" in that driver name box. See the attached picture.
I hope this helps you or someone else.
image001.jpg