Win2K3 shared printer won't reconnect on Vista client after reboot

Yann LEZY

Win2K3 shared printer won't reconnect on Vista client after reboot
Hello World !

I ran into this weird problem this morning :
- Win2k3 server sharing a laserjet printer connected to LPT1 on the network.
Security settings set to "everybody : print / manage cue / etc...kinda full
control".
- Vista laptop with local administrator profile logged in (no network / AD
user.)

1st thing is : I cant connect the server without having to log on the
server. I thought entering \\192.168.x.y\ would simply display the printers.
It doesn't. Nevermind, I created a dedicated user on the server.
So When I log onto the server with that username and pwd, _clic 'remember
password' checkbox_, I see the printer. Clic connect and it's now installed
on my vista laptop. I can print and everything works perfectly.

My real problem comes when the laptop get rebooted for some reason :
Everything seems to works fine until I decide to print. The document gets
into the spooler as if everything's ok... but nothing happens. The printer
won't print. Then after some time, it would raise an error 'couldn't
print'... good.

I can make it print by logging onto the server... say start/run :
\\192.168.x.y enter login and pwd... the printer now prints.

I did the same with the server administrator account. won't change anything.
I even manually inserted the server/login/pwd into the User account / manage
network password to _force_ the os to remember the authentication info...
that didn't work either.

the Vista Network profile is set to "private" and has folders and printers
shares options checked.

My question is "What can I do to have Vista relog automatically to the
server so that printer works without any user action at reboot ?"
I thought about setting an empty shared folder as a permanent network folder
and have it reconnect at reboot as a workaround but if anybody knows the
proper way to solve my problem, then I'll happily accept it

thanks for any help.

Yann

__________ Information provenant d'ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version de la base des signatures de virus 4466 (20090929) __________

Le message a été vérifié par ESET NOD32 Antivirus.

http://www.eset.com

SlickRCBD

Re: Win2K3 shared printer won't reconnect on Vista client afterreboot
On Sep 29, 7:43*am, "Yann LEZY" <ya...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hello World !
>
> I ran into this weird problem this morning :
> - Win2k3 server sharing a laserjet printer connected to LPT1 on the network.
> Security settings set to "everybody : print / manage cue / etc...kinda full
> control".
> - Vista laptop with local administrator profile logged in (no network / AD
> user.)
>
> 1st thing is : I cant connect the server without having to log on the
> server. I thought entering \\192.168.x.y\ would simply display the printers.
> It doesn't. Nevermind, I created a dedicated user on the server.
> So When I log onto the server with that username and pwd, _clic 'remember
> password' checkbox_, I see the printer. Clic connect and it's now installed
> on my vista laptop. I can print and everything works perfectly.
>
> My real problem comes when the laptop get rebooted for some reason :
> Everything seems to works fine until I decide to print. The document gets
> into the spooler as if everything's ok... but nothing happens. The printer
> won't print. Then after some time, it would raise an error 'couldn't
> print'... good.
>
> I can make it print by logging onto the server... say start/run :
> \\192.168.x.y enter login and pwd... the printer now prints.
>
> I did the same with the server administrator account. won't change anything.
> I even manually inserted the server/login/pwd into the User account / manage
> network password to _force_ the os to remember the authentication info...
> that didn't work either.
>
> the Vista Network profile is set to "private" and has folders and printers
> shares options checked.
>
> My question is "What can I do to have Vista relog automatically to the
> server so that printer works without any user action at reboot ?"
> I thought about setting an empty shared folder as a permanent network folder
> and have it reconnect at reboot as a workaround but if anybody knows the
> proper way to solve my problem, then I'll happily accept it
>
> thanks for any help.
>
> Yann
>
> __________ Information provenant d'ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version de la base des signatures de virus 4466 (20090929) __________
>
> Le message a été vérifié par ESET NOD32 Antivirus.
>
> http://www.eset.com

I'm having a similar problem with a printer shared by Win98SE. I was
just about to make a post. As a work around, I found that adding a
new printer using the same port every time you want to print will
work, but only until you reboot again. Then the existing printer will
no longer work, but if you add another one of the same type, you'll be
able to print. I'll wait and see if somebody posts a solution, and if
they do I'll see if it works with my woes, if not I'll post my problem
in more detail.
Alan Morris [MSFT]

Re: Win2K3 shared printer won't reconnect on Vista client after reboot
You can create a logon script and reauthenticate to the\\server\ipc$

Or enable the guest account on the print server.

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team

"SlickRCBD" <slickrcbdnews@gmail.com> wrote in message
> [...]
>
> __________ Information provenant d'ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version de la
> base des signatures de virus 4466 (20090929) __________
>
> Le message a été vérifié par ESET NOD32 Antivirus.
>
> http://www.eset.com

I'm having a similar problem with a printer shared by Win98SE. I was
just about to make a post. As a work around, I found that adding a
new printer using the same port every time you want to print will
work, but only until you reboot again. Then the existing printer will
no longer work, but if you add another one of the same type, you'll be
able to print. I'll wait and see if somebody posts a solution, and if
they do I'll see if it works with my woes, if not I'll post my problem
in more detail.

Yann LEZY

Re: Win2K3 shared printer won't reconnect on Vista client after reboot
Thanks ! a friend told me about this script yesterday. I'll give it a try.
Thanks a lot !

"Alan Morris [MSFT]" <alanmo@online.microsoft.com> a écrit dans le message
de groupe de discussion : #ISdGYgQKHA.4004@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
> You can create a logon script and reauthenticate to the\\server\ipc$
>
> Or enable the guest account on the print server.

SlickRCBD

Re: Win2K3 shared printer won't reconnect on Vista client afterreboot
I didn't think any authentication was required in my situation. On the
Win98SE computer, I went to Control Panel->Users and got the Enable
Multi-user settings wizard. I canceled out as I didn't want to create
user accounts. I created a lowly User account on Vista Home Premium
with a random name and pass and had no trouble accessing the file
shares. I'm not sure if that lowly user could create a printer as I
can't access the more advanced Local Users and Groups in Vista Home
Premium.

Is there a way to enable the guest on Win98SE? Or how would I make a
login script to "reauthenticate" to the win98 system? The printer is
shared as HP812C on Slickswintel, although it does NOT appear in the
"printers" folder that ONLY appears in Windows Vista when I connect to
it. The printer appears in the same place in Windows XP pro under
VirtualPC and XP Pro has no problems printing. I was under the
impression that I had set things up so that anybody could print to the
share and the behavior of XP seems to support that.

Should