Connecting a Vista laptop to remote printer

RayS

Connecting a Vista laptop to remote printer
I have an HP Photosmart C6180 connected via USB to an XP desktop computer. I
have other XP laptops set up so they can print to this printer throught their
wireless connection. However I now have a new Vista laptop and I can't get it
configured for this printer through it's wireless connection. Here is what
I've tried:

1. Go into Control panel/printers on the Vista Laptop and select Add New
printer. I select Network printer and It finds the printer. I then select HP
as the manufacturer and it list lots of their printers but not this one. I
assume the driver was just not included with Vista. This also has a "have
disk" option but my disk is only for XP and before.

2. I went to HP's site and downloaded the latest complete Vista driver (159
meg). I then ran the software install and when it asks for whether it is a
local or network printer, I pick network. But the driver software can't find
any network printers even thought Vista could in 1 above.

3. I went to HP's site and downloaded the latest complete Vista driver (159
meg) only this time I saved it instead or running it. Then from the Vista
Laptop and selected Add New printer. I select Network printer and It finds
the printer. This also has a "have disk" option so I point it to the saved
download file but it won't accept it. Apparently this is because the
downloaded file is an exe and the software at that point is looking for in
..inf file.

So how can I get this to work?

Eric Shune

Re: Connecting a Vista laptop to remote printer

"RayS" <RayS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have an HP Photosmart C6180 connected via USB to an XP desktop computer.
> have other XP laptops set up so they can print to this printer throught
> their
> wireless connection. However I now have a new Vista laptop and I can't get
> it
> configured for this printer through it's wireless connection. Here is what
> I've tried:
>

> 1. Go into Control panel/printers on the Vista Laptop and select Add New
> printer. I select Network printer and It finds the printer. I then select
> HP
> as the manufacturer and it list lots of their printers but not this one. I
> assume the driver was just not included with Vista. This also has a "have
> disk" option but my disk is only for XP and before.
>

> 2. I went to HP's site and downloaded the latest complete Vista driver
> (159
> meg). I then ran the software install and when it asks for whether it is a
> local or network printer, I pick network. But the driver software can't
> find
> any network printers even thought Vista could in 1 above.
>

> 3. I went to HP's site and downloaded the latest complete Vista driver
> (159
> meg) only this time I saved it instead or running it. Then from the Vista
> Laptop and selected Add New printer. I select Network printer and It finds
> the printer. This also has a "have disk" option so I point it to the
> saved
> download file but it won't accept it. Apparently this is because the
> downloaded file is an exe and the software at that point is looking for in
> .inf file.
>

> So how can I get this to work?

might be worth trying,

at 2. select Local printer.

at 3. point it to the local printer file for the inf file.

Cari \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Connecting a Vista laptop to remote printer
Use WinRar to expand the *exe file.......

Since you did 'install' the *.exe file first, did it tell you where it
actually installed it? Is there perhaps a directory called HP PhotoSmart?
Or similar? If so, when it asks for the driver, you can direct it to find
the *.inf file that it created in that directory.

--
Cari (MS-MVP)
http://www.coribright.com/windows

"RayS" <RayS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have an HP Photosmart C6180 connected via USB to an XP desktop computer.
> have other XP laptops set up so they can print to this printer throught
> their
> wireless connection. However I now have a new Vista laptop and I can't get
> it
> configured for this printer through it's wireless connection. Here is what
> I've tried:
>

> 1. Go into Control panel/printers on the Vista Laptop and select Add New
> printer. I select Network printer and It finds the printer. I then select
> HP
> as the manufacturer and it list lots of their printers but not this one. I
> assume the driver was just not included with Vista. This also has a "have
> disk" option but my disk is only for XP and before.
>

> 2. I went to HP's site and downloaded the latest complete Vista driver
> (159
> meg). I then ran the software install and when it asks for whether it is a
> local or network printer, I pick network. But the driver software can't
> find
> any network printers even thought Vista could in 1 above.
>

> 3. I went to HP's site and downloaded the latest complete Vista driver
> (159
> meg) only this time I saved it instead or running it. Then from the Vista
> Laptop and selected Add New printer. I select Network printer and It finds
> the printer. This also has a "have disk" option so I point it to the
> saved
> download file but it won't accept it. Apparently this is because the
> downloaded file is an exe and the software at that point is looking for in
> .inf file.
>

> So how can I get this to work?

Dave T.

RayS wrote:
> I have an HP Photosmart C6180 connected via USB to an XP desktop computer. I
> have other XP laptops set up so they can print to this printer throught their
> wireless connection. However I now have a new Vista laptop and I can't get it
> configured for this printer through it's wireless connection. Here is what
> I've tried:
>

> 1. Go into Control panel/printers on the Vista Laptop and select Add New
> printer. I select Network printer and It finds the printer. I then select HP
> as the manufacturer and it list lots of their printers but not this one. I
> assume the driver was just not included with Vista. This also has a "have
> disk" option but my disk is only for XP and before.
>

> 2. I went to HP's site and downloaded the latest complete Vista driver (159
> meg). I then ran the software install and when it asks for whether it is a
> local or network printer, I pick network. But the driver software can't find
> any network printers even thought Vista could in 1 above.
>

> 3. I went to HP's site and downloaded the latest complete Vista driver (159
> meg) only this time I saved it instead or running it. Then from the Vista
> Laptop and selected Add New printer. I select Network printer and It finds
> the printer. This also has a "have disk" option so I point it to the saved
> download file but it won't accept it. Apparently this is because the
> downloaded file is an exe and the software at that point is looking for in
> .inf file.
>

> So how can I get this to work?

After downloading the software, you did make sure that the printer was
NOT connected or turned on, right? This is the recommended procedure
from HP. Install the driver on your laptop, and when it's done connect
and turn on the printer and "new hardware discovery" should take place.
The wiz should then take you through setting up the printer sharing.

Dave T.
tmwmott

RE: Connecting a Vista laptop to remote printer
Try:On laptop use "Add Printer"Add local printerCreate new port- Use \\\&lt;host&gt;\&lt;printer share name&gt;