printer status -driver update needed

feroz ahmed

printer status -driver update needed
when i install the driver throuth PnP the status is changing from ready to
driver update needed in vista. this problem is seen only if i upgrade XP to
vista. if i install vista directly this problem is not seen.
Cari \(MS-MVP\)

Re: printer status -driver update needed
Make and model of printer?????
--
Cari (MS-MVP)
http://www.coribright.com/windows

"feroz ahmed" <ferozahmed@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> when i install the driver throuth PnP the status is changing from ready to
> driver update needed in vista. this problem is seen only if i upgrade XP
> vista. if i install vista directly this problem is not seen.

feroz ahmed

Re: printer status -driver update needed
Toshiba e-sutdio411c

"Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> Make and model of printer?????
> --
> Cari (MS-MVP)
> http://www.coribright.com/windows
>
> "feroz ahmed" <ferozahmed@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > when i install the driver throuth PnP the status is changing from ready to
> > driver update needed in vista. this problem is seen only if i upgrade XP
> > vista. if i install vista directly this problem is not seen.

Cari \(MS-MVP\)

Re: printer status -driver update needed
I can't find any mention of it at the Toshiba website..... perhaps it's not
a US model. If so, which country does it come from.
--

> Toshiba e-sutdio411c
>
> "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:
>
>> Make and model of printer?????
>> --
>> Cari (MS-MVP)
>> http://www.coribright.com/windows
>>
>> "feroz ahmed" <ferozahmed@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > when i install the driver throuth PnP the status is changing from ready
>> > driver update needed in vista. this problem is seen only if i upgrade
>> > XP
>> > vista. if i install vista directly this problem is not seen.

feroz ahmed

Re: printer status -driver update needed
hi cari, im in printer driver developement team of toshiba MFP's. when i do
Point and Print from a toshiba print server the status of printer is getting
changed from ready to driver update needed after some time. this problem is
not seen in XP. and more over this problem will be seen only if we upgrade xp
to vista. do you have any idea why the status changes from ready to driver
update needed?

"Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> I can't find any mention of it at the Toshiba website..... perhaps it's not
> a US model. If so, which country does it come from.
> --
> Cari (MS-MVP)
> http://www.coribright.com/windows
>
> "feroz ahmed" <ferozahmed@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Toshiba e-sutdio411c
> >
> > "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:
> >
> >> Make and model of printer?????
> >> --
> >> Cari (MS-MVP)
> >> Windows Technologies - Printing & Imaging
> >> http://www.coribright.com/windows

Alan Morris [MSFT]

Re: printer status -driver update needed
I'll handle this

Check the date stamps on the files on the server. If you have a module that
periodically updates information to the server ( auto configuration?), then
the file set between the server and the client is different and the printer
needs to be updated. On Vista, there is a status change set and user action
is required.

There is a group policy setting to change this to previous OS behavior.

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team

> hi cari, im in printer driver developement team of toshiba MFP's. when i
> do
> Point and Print from a toshiba print server the status of printer is
> getting
> changed from ready to driver update needed after some time. this problem
> is
> not seen in XP. and more over this problem will be seen only if we upgrade
> xp
> to vista. do you have any idea why the status changes from ready to driver
> update needed?
>

> "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:
>
>> I can't find any mention of it at the Toshiba website..... perhaps it's
>> not
>> a US model. If so, which country does it come from.
>> --
>> Cari (MS-MVP)
>> http://www.coribright.com/windows
>>
>> "feroz ahmed" <ferozahmed@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Toshiba e-sutdio411c

Daniel Pardoen

Re: printer status -driver update needed
Dear Allan,

I have the same issue but i canot find the KB article. Please provide us the
url or the location of the setting.

Daniel Pardoen

"Alan Morris [MSFT]" wrote:

> I'll handle this
>
> Check the date stamps on the files on the server. If you have a module that
> periodically updates information to the server ( auto configuration?), then
> the file set between the server and the client is different and the printer
> needs to be updated. On Vista, there is a status change set and user action
> is required.
>
> There is a group policy setting to change this to previous OS behavior.
>
> --
> Alan Morris
> Windows Printing Team

feroz ahmed

Re: printer status -driver update needed
Alan,
can you provide the link from where i can get the information to changing
the group policy for this issue.
and the other doubt is "Driver update needed" issue is seen only if we
UPGRADE xp to vista. if we install vista directly by formatting the hard disc
this problem is not observed.
your have mentioned that by changing the group policies we can over come
this issue.
can you please clarify is this issue a bug in vista when we upgrade xp to
vista or some thing else?

and the other problem is this issue is not seen in x64 machines after
installing vcredist_x64.exe taken form the following link. but even after
installing vcredist_x86.exe on a x86 machine this problem is seen.

is there any executable which will change the group policies to previous
version of OS or which will eliminate this issue. if yes can you please
provide the link for the same.

"Alan Morris [MSFT]" wrote:

> I'll handle this
>
> Check the date stamps on the files on the server. If you have a module that
> periodically updates information to the server ( auto configuration?), then
> the file set between the server and the client is different and the printer
> needs to be updated. On Vista, there is a status change set and user action
> is required.
>
> There is a group policy setting to change this to previous OS behavior.
>
> --
> Alan Morris
> Windows Printing Team

> "feroz ahmed" <ferozahmed@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > hi cari, im in printer driver developement team of toshiba MFP's. when i
> > do
> > Point and Print from a toshiba print server the status of printer is
> > getting
> > changed from ready to driver update needed after some time. this problem
> > is
> > not seen in XP. and more over this problem will be seen only if we upgrade
> > xp
> > to vista. do you have any idea why the status changes from ready to driver
> > update needed?
> >

> > "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:
> >
> >> I can't find any mention of it at the Toshiba website..... perhaps it's
> >> not
> >> a US model. If so, which country does it come from.
> >> --
> >> Cari (MS-MVP)
> >> Windows Technologies - Printing & Imaging
> >> http://www.coribright.com/windows

Alan Morris [MSFT]

Re: printer status -driver update needed
On an upgrade, the printer driver is not retained on the client but the
connection information is retained so the client must get the driver from
the server before it can print, thus the printer is placed in Driver Update
Needed until the client first prints and downloads the driver or right
clicks on the printer and selects update from the menu.

Point and Print Restriction policy in Vista.
http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device...staPnPSec.mspx

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team

> Alan,
> can you provide the link from where i can get the information to changing
> the group policy for this issue.
> and the other doubt is "Driver update needed" issue is seen only if we
> UPGRADE xp to vista. if we install vista directly by formatting the hard
> disc
> this problem is not observed.
> your have mentioned that by changing the group policies we can over come
> this issue.
> can you please clarify is this issue a bug in vista when we upgrade xp to
> vista or some thing else?
>
> and the other problem is this issue is not seen in x64 machines after
> installing vcredist_x64.exe taken form the following link. but even after
> installing vcredist_x86.exe on a x86 machine this problem is seen.
>
> is there any executable which will change the group policies to previous
> version of OS or which will eliminate this issue. if yes can you please
> provide the link for the same.
>

> "Alan Morris [MSFT]" wrote:
>
>> I'll handle this
>>
>> Check the date stamps on the files on the server. If you have a module
>> that
>> periodically updates information to the server ( auto configuration?),
>> then
>> the file set between the server and the client is different and the
>> printer
>> needs to be updated. On Vista, there is a status change set and user
>> action
>> is required.
>>
>> There is a group policy setting to change this to previous OS behavior.
>>
>> --
>> Alan Morris
>> Windows Printing Team

>> rights.
>>
>> "feroz ahmed" <ferozahmed@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > hi cari, im in printer driver developement team of toshiba MFP's. when
>> > do
>> > Point and Print from a toshiba print server the status of printer is
>> > getting
>> > changed from ready to driver update needed after some time. this
>> > problem
>> > is
>> > not seen in XP. and more over this problem will be seen only if we
>> > upgrade
>> > xp
>> > to vista. do you have any idea why the status changes from ready to
>> > driver
>> > update needed?

feroz ahmed

Re: printer status -driver update needed
hi Alan,
the problem is ill upgrade XP to vista and ill clean up all the installed
printer drivers in vista and then do a PnP download. if i click some of the
tabs of downloaded driver such as cofiguration etc then the status changes
from "ready" to "driver updateneeded". this problem is seen only in xp to
upgraded version. this problem is not observed in fresh installation of
vista. plese let me know what could be the reason for this.