Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

Networked HP deskjet 9650 and Vista 64

microsoft.public.windows.vista.print fax scan






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 09-01-2009
jasonpierce
 

Posts: n/a
Networked HP deskjet 9650 and Vista 64

I am having issues with my hp deskjet 9650 and Vista 64. HP has
recommended using the 9800 series driver as a workaround. The 9800
driver comes bundled with vista and is not available on the HP site.
This is fine when attaching the printer directly to the machine. Thru
the add wizard I just select add local printer and I am given a list
from which to select the 9800. However I need to add this printer over a
network. The add wizard looks for shared printers on the network sees
the 9650 and asks me to locate the driver manually. I don't have a clue
where the driver is. I have discovered a series of drivers here
(C:\Windows\System32\drivers) but they are in no way clearly labeled and
none appear to be the correct one. Can anyone help?


--
jasonpierce
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 09-01-2009
Malke
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Networked HP deskjet 9650 and Vista 64
jasonpierce wrote:

>
> I am having issues with my hp deskjet 9650 and Vista 64. HP has
> recommended using the 9800 series driver as a workaround. The 9800
> driver comes bundled with vista and is not available on the HP site.
> This is fine when attaching the printer directly to the machine. Thru
> the add wizard I just select add local printer and I am given a list
> from which to select the 9800. However I need to add this printer over a
> network. The add wizard looks for shared printers on the network sees
> the 9650 and asks me to locate the driver manually. I don't have a clue
> where the driver is. I have discovered a series of drivers here
> (C:\Windows\System32\drivers) but they are in no way clearly labeled and
> none appear to be the correct one. Can anyone help?


Go to the computer that is hosting the printer. Control Panel>Printers and
find the printer. Right-click on it and then left-click on Properties. Write
down the share name.

Still on the computer hosting the printer, Control Panel>System>Computer
Name (tab). Write down the computer name.

On the computer not hosting the printer to which you wish to add that
printer:

Control Panel>Printers>Add a printer (button)

Choose Add a local printer. Click on Create a new port. The default in the
drop down box is Local Port. Do not change that. Click Next.

A dialogue box will appear asking for you to enter a port name.

Type in the \\FullComputername\SharedPrintername

ex: \\mycomputer\HPDJ

[This is why you wrote down the printer's share name and the computer's
name.]

Click Next.

Under the Manufacturers list, select HP and the correct printer from the
Printers List on the right.

Under Do you want to use this printer as the default printer select "Yes"
and click Next.

When asked to print a test page, select "Yes", then Finish.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!
http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/#FAQ

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 09-03-2009
jasonpierce
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Networked HP deskjet 9650 and Vista 64

Malke;1127215 Wrote:
> jasonpierce wrote:
> > > >
> > >
> > > I am having issues with my hp deskjet 9650 and Vista 64. HP has
> > > recommended using the 9800 series driver as a workaround. The 9800
> > > driver comes bundled with vista and is not available on the HP site.
> > > This is fine when attaching the printer directly to the machine. Thru
> > > the add wizard I just select add local printer and I am given a list
> > > from which to select the 9800. However I need to add this printer

> > over a
> > > network. The add wizard looks for shared printers on the network sees
> > > the 9650 and asks me to locate the driver manually. I don't have a

> > clue
> > > where the driver is. I have discovered a series of drivers here
> > > (C:\Windows\System32\drivers) but they are in no way clearly labeled

> > and
> > > none appear to be the correct one. Can anyone help? > > Go to the computer that is hosting the printer. Control Panel>Printers

> and
> find the printer. Right-click on it and then left-click on
> Properties. Write
> down the share name.
>
> Still on the computer hosting the printer, Control
> Panel>System>Computer
> Name (tab). Write down the computer name.
>
> On the computer not hosting the printer to which you wish to add that
> printer:
>
> Control Panel>Printers>Add a printer (button)
>
> Choose Add a local printer. Click on Create a new port. The default
> in the
> drop down box is Local Port. Do not change that. Click Next.
>
> A dialogue box will appear asking for you to enter a port name.
>
> Type in the \\FullComputername\SharedPrintername
>
> ex: \\mycomputer\HPDJ
>
> [This is why you wrote down the printer's share name and the
> computer's
> name.]
>
> Click Next.
>
> Under the Manufacturers list, select HP and the correct printer from
> the
> Printers List on the right.
>
> Under Do you want to use this printer as the default printer select
> "Yes"
> and click Next.
>
> When asked to print a test page, select "Yes", then Finish.
>
> Malke
> --
> MS-MVP
> Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!
> 'index' (http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/#FAQ)


Malke,

My sincere thanks and gratitude to you! Your above instructions worked
flawlessly. I can now stop transfering pdfs over the network and start
printing directly!

Thank you!
jason


--
jasonpierce
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 09-03-2009
Malke
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Networked HP deskjet 9650 and Vista 64
jasonpierce wrote:

> Malke,
>
> My sincere thanks and gratitude to you! Your above instructions worked
> flawlessly. I can now stop transfering pdfs over the network and start
> printing directly!
>
> Thank you!


You are most welcome. I'm very glad that sorted it for you. Thanks for
taking the time to let me know.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!
http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/#FAQ

Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
HP Deskjet 722C Networked deltatux microsoft.public.windows.vista.print fax scan 9 11-03-2010 17:53
HP Deskjet 9650 Vista Help adadams microsoft.public.windows.vista.print fax scan 2 09-03-2009 01:26
Vista and Deskjet 895cxi nosthecat microsoft.public.windows.vista.print fax scan 5 04-18-2009 05:01
Vista Ultimate & HP DeskJet-895 Paran0ia microsoft.public.windows.vista.print fax scan 5 10-30-2007 15:21
Hp 5650 Deskjet & Vista =?Utf-8?B?VEpHUw==?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.print fax scan 3 04-26-2007 18:56




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 14:33.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120