HP Officejet Pro L7680 All-in-One freezes on scanning in Vista

M Skabialka

HP Officejet Pro L7680 All-in-One freezes on scanning in Vista
Bought a new printer a few months ago - HP Officejet Pro L7680 All-in-One.
Until recently hadn't scanned anything but the other day scanned half a
dozen pages. After the first two or three the HP scan software started to
freeze once the scan was complete. Now the freeze happens as soon as I
click Scan a picture or a document; there is a circular hourglass icon but
it spins until I kill the process. Windows Fax & Scan also froze, but when
I reinstalled the HP full driver package, the HP scan software still doesn't
work, but Windows Fax and Scan does, but with fewer options. I have found
several queries asking the same thing, but no solutions. The software is
the latest from HP.

Cari \(MS-MVP\)

Re: HP Officejet Pro L7680 All-in-One freezes on scanning in Vista
It should still be under guarantee if it's only a 'few months' old. Contact
HP.
--
Cari (MS-MVP)
http://www.coribright.com/windows

"M Skabialka" <mskabialka@NOSPAMdrc.com> wrote in message
> Bought a new printer a few months ago - HP Officejet Pro L7680 All-in-One.
> Until recently hadn't scanned anything but the other day scanned half a
> dozen pages. After the first two or three the HP scan software started
> to freeze once the scan was complete. Now the freeze happens as soon as I
> click Scan a picture or a document; there is a circular hourglass icon but
> it spins until I kill the process. Windows Fax & Scan also froze, but
> when I reinstalled the HP full driver package, the HP scan software still
> doesn't work, but Windows Fax and Scan does, but with fewer options. I
> have found several queries asking the same thing, but no solutions. The
> software is the latest from HP.

M Skabialka

Re: HP Officejet Pro L7680 All-in-One freezes on scanning in Vista
This is the third one - it has been replaced twice under warranty so far...!
I was hoping for a software fix of some type.

"Cari (MS-MVP)" <newsgroups@coribright.com> wrote in message
> It should still be under guarantee if it's only a 'few months' old.
> Contact HP.
> --
> Cari (MS-MVP)
> http://www.coribright.com/windows
>

> "M Skabialka" <mskabialka@NOSPAMdrc.com> wrote in message
>> Bought a new printer a few months ago - HP Officejet Pro L7680
>> All-in-One. Until recently hadn't scanned anything but the other day
>> scanned half a dozen pages. After the first two or three the HP scan
>> software started to freeze once the scan was complete. Now the freeze
>> happens as soon as I click Scan a picture or a document; there is a
>> circular hourglass icon but it spins until I kill the process. Windows
>> Fax & Scan also froze, but when I reinstalled the HP full driver package,
>> the HP scan software still doesn't work, but Windows Fax and Scan does,
>> but with fewer options. I have found several queries asking the same
>> thing, but no solutions. The software is the latest from HP.

Cari \(MS-MVP\)

Re: HP Officejet Pro L7680 All-in-One freezes on scanning in Vista
If HP are going to do anything, it will come from them, not from Microsoft.
HP write their own drivers and software.
--

> This is the third one - it has been replaced twice under warranty so
> far...!
> I was hoping for a software fix of some type.
>
> "Cari (MS-MVP)" <newsgroups@coribright.com> wrote in message
>> It should still be under guarantee if it's only a 'few months' old.
>> Contact HP.
>> --
>> Cari (MS-MVP)
>> http://www.coribright.com/windows
>>

>> "M Skabialka" <mskabialka@NOSPAMdrc.com> wrote in message
>>> Bought a new printer a few months ago - HP Officejet Pro L7680
>>> All-in-One. Until recently hadn't scanned anything but the other day
>>> scanned half a dozen pages. After the first two or three the HP scan
>>> software started to freeze once the scan was complete. Now the freeze
>>> happens as soon as I click Scan a picture or a document; there is a
>>> circular hourglass icon but it spins until I kill the process. Windows
>>> Fax & Scan also froze, but when I reinstalled the HP full driver
>>> package, the HP scan software still doesn't work, but Windows Fax and
>>> Scan does, but with fewer options. I have found several queries asking
>>> the same thing, but no solutions. The software is the latest from HP.

Chuck

Re: HP Officejet Pro L7680 All-in-One freezes on scanning in Vista
This can occur if the OEM and Windows built in scan software fight with each
other. HP is one of the brands that has scanner models that can have this
happen.
So far he solutions we've found were dependent on too many variables to
allow a universal solution. I generally use View scan as a troubleshooting
aid (when possible)
Many of the vendors complicate matters by forcing the user to install the
whole support package just to get functional drivers.

Some of the all in ones with networking capability are really difficult to
get to work, or to restore when they stop working.
Sometimes uninstalling, and using a different USB port & controller for the
reinstall helps. There is also an odd situation between OEMs and what order
to install
when networking is involved. Some Brother models are happier if the
networking functionality is installed first, then USB, others the otherway
around.