setting it up so vista detects new ip from router with printer

dkizzy

setting it up so vista detects new ip from router with printer

how do I setup a host name/some sort of setup to prevent vista from not
detecting the change in IP? Everytime the printer goes out from a storm
my IP changes and I want to make it so that it either is static or vista
adapts to the change. I used the vista printer detection which acquired
the IP from the router.

--
dkizzy
Malke

Re: setting it up so vista detects new ip from router with printer
dkizzy wrote:

> how do I setup a host name/some sort of setup to prevent vista from not
> detecting the change in IP? Everytime the printer goes out from a storm
> my IP changes and I want to make it so that it either is static or vista
> adapts to the change. I used the vista printer detection which acquired
> the IP from the router.

Network printers should always have a static IP set. Use one that is outside
the router's DHCP range. IOW, if the router hands out IP addresses from
192.168.1.100-150, give your printer something like 192.168.1.200. Refer to
your printer manual as to how to set a static IP address on it.

This is not done from Vista, nor is it a Vista issue. You just didn't set up
your network printer correctly.

If the printer is locally connected and shared out, as long as file/printer
sharing is set up correctly the fact that the host computer's IP address
changes will be irrelevant.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

dkizzy

Re: setting it up so vista detects new ip from router with printer

Ok so if I set it to share on the local network then I won't have to
worry about it anymore correct?

dkizzy wrote:

> Ok so if I set it to share on the local network then I won't have to
> worry about it anymore correct?

You aren't providing enough information to get focused help. Remember that I
cannot see your computers, your network, or your printers from here.

In general:

1. True network printers - connected directly to the router by ethernet or
wirelessly - do not need to be shared. They are *on* the LAN and can be
accessed by any computer after being installed on that computer.

2. Locally connected printers - connected directly to a computer on the LAN
- need to be shared out from that host computer. File/printer sharing on the
LAN must be set up correctly for all member computers. Then the printer
needs to be installed on the various computers.

So what do you have?

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

dkizzy

Re: setting it up so vista detects new ip from router with printer

sorry, I have the true network printer setup going. It is plugged into
the ethernet to the router.

dkizzy wrote:

> sorry, I have the true network printer setup going. It is plugged into
> the ethernet to the router.

Then you don't need to share it out. You simply need to set a static IP
address as I told you in my first reply.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

dkizzy

Re: setting it up so vista detects new ip from router with printer

ok many thanks

--
dkizzy