Fax Fatal Error

GinaNew

Fax Fatal Error
I have have Vista Business and I keep getting a fatal error when I try to
fax. Any ideas how to fix this?
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Re: Fax Fatal Error
Not without at least some information, including how you installed fax,
whether your fax account appears to be configured correctly, whether your
modem is on the VHCL, what steps you are using, and what happens exactly.
You must think we can read minds.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"GinaNew" <GinaNew@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have have Vista Business and I keep getting a fatal error when I try to
> fax. Any ideas how to fix this?

brainlpb is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Vista Fax Fatal Error
Yeah, I just built a new computer and installed Vista 64-bit Ultimate and was rather miffed that my SupraMax 56i modem was not recognized by Vista so I was forced into spending some real money to buy yet another stupid dialup modem, so I found the Hiro H50006 from Tiger Direct for $7.99 since it was cheap, good chipset, and rave reviews from AOL lusers. Vista auto detected the modem and installed the driver as an Agere Systems PCI-SV92PP Soft Modem and Device Manager shows the modem diagnostics is responding properly. However, when I print to Fax from MS Word and try to send something out, it says Fatal Error in the Outbox after attempting to dial out. My phone cord is plugged into the Line port and dialtone is normal, ie no voicemails with beeping dialtone. My caller id light indicates that the line is picked up and in use for about 10 seconds then it hangs up. I even tried throwing some commas in the front of the phone number to slow down the outbound dialing. I cannot hear the dialing even though I went into Device Manager and cranked the Modem volume to Full but I don't think this modem even has a speaker. My other computer, a Dell laptop, has no problems sending out a Fax using the same phone cord, it's using Vista 32-bit and a different modem of course. Can you read my mind? I'm irked!!!
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Re: Fax Fatal Error
Did you check the VHCL before you bought a modem?
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"brainlpb" <brainlpb.31b74d@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote in message

> Yeah, I just built a new computer and installed Vista 64-bit
> Ultimate and was rather miffed that my SupraMax 56i modem was not
> recognized by Vista so I was forced into spending some real money to buy
> yet another stupid dialup modem, so I found the Hiro H50006 from Tiger
> Direct for $7.99 since it was cheap, good chipset, and rave reviews from
> AOL lusers. Vista auto detected the modem and installed the driver as an
> Agere Systems PCI-SV92PP Soft Modem and Device Manager shows the modem
> diagnostics is responding properly. However, when I print to Fax from MS
> Word and try to send something out, it says Fatal Error in the Outbox
> after attempting to dial out. My phone cord is plugged into the Line
> port and dialtone is normal, ie no voicemails with beeping dialtone. My
> caller id light indicates that the line is picked up and in use for
> about 10 seconds then it hangs up. I even tried throwing some commas in
> the front of the phone number to slow down the outbound dialing. I
> cannot hear the dialing even though I went into Device Manager and
> cranked the Modem volume to Full but I don't think this modem even has a
> speaker. My other computer, a Dell laptop, has no problems sending out a
> Fax using the same phone cord, it's using Vista 32-bit and a different
> modem of course. Can you read my mind? I'm irked!!!
>

> --
> brainlpb

brainlpb is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Vista Fax Modem Fatal Error
Yeah, I don't even see modems on the hardware compatability list...

http://winqual.microsoft.com/hcl/

The modem I bought to replace my Supra 56i is the only PCI modem out there I could even find that has support for 64-bit Vista.
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Re: Fax Fatal Error
Look again:
http://winqual.microsoft.com/HCL/Pro...=v&cid=707&g=d

--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"brainlpb" <brainlpb.31bqhw@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote in message

> Yeah, I don't even see modems on the hardware compatability list...
>
> http://winqual.microsoft.com/hcl/
>
> The modem I bought to replace my Supra 56i is the only PCI modem out
> there I could even find that has support for 64-bit Vista.
>

> --
> brainlpb

brainlpb is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Windows Vista Fax Fatal Error
So yeah it says it works, but not listed as Certified...

Windows Quality Online Services: Windows Vista Hardware Compatibility List
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Re: Fax Fatal Error
I assume you notice that that's not the modem you bought, just the closest
drivers Vista could find for it. Your only recourse is if you bought a modem
on the VHCL.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"brainlpb" <brainlpb.31bt8l@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote in message

> So yeah it says it works, but not listed as Certified...
>
> 'Windows Quality Online Services: Windows Vista Hardware
> Compatibility List' (http://tinyurl.com/2292t9)
>

> --
> brainlpb

brainlpb is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Vista Fatal Fax Error
this sounds more like a forum where people want to argue about certifications rather than trying to figure out the problem, etc...

The box for the HIRO H50006 says Microsoft WHQL Certified, Full Compatible with Windows 98SE, 2000 and Server, 2003 and Server, XP and XP Professional x64 Edition.

So come on now, if Microsoft is going to just drop all support based on that, then people need to know not to upgrade to Vista, this is ridiculous. The OS should be backwards compatible with XP rated equipment at least.
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Re: Fax Fatal Error
Who is arguing? I'm just stating facts. You want fax to work, you purchase
the correct modem. Assuming that because a modem works in previous versions
that it will work in Vista 64 bit is naive. And everyone reading this group
knows not to "upgrade" to Vista if they want to fax.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]