vista quit recognizing printers ... help!

joebass

vista quit recognizing printers ... help!

here's the skinny: I have a newer sony vaio running vista ... I have 3
hp printers installed, as I need a printer in various work locations ...
all of the printers have worked fine for 6 months. Now, all of the
sudden, with no error messages/popups/etc. they have all quit working.
My USB ports are functioning with all other devices and the printers
work fine with any other pc. The printers will read "ready" and the
file will show as printing, but nothing happens. When I initially plug
the printers into the usb, I get an error sound, but no pop-up. I have
tried deleting one of the printers, but I got no usb printer recognition
to re-install it, so I restored to a point before the printer issues and
the printer is back in the printers folder, but still doing nothing.
ok, any ideas?

--
joebass
DL

Re: vista quit recognizing printers ... help!
Did you update any drivers from MS Update?
Connect a printer directly to the Sony, does it work then?

"joebass" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> here's the skinny: I have a newer sony vaio running vista ... I have 3
> hp printers installed, as I need a printer in various work locations ...
> all of the printers have worked fine for 6 months. Now, all of the
> sudden, with no error messages/popups/etc. they have all quit working.
> My USB ports are functioning with all other devices and the printers
> work fine with any other pc. The printers will read "ready" and the
> file will show as printing, but nothing happens. When I initially plug
> the printers into the usb, I get an error sound, but no pop-up. I have
> tried deleting one of the printers, but I got no usb printer recognition
> to re-install it, so I restored to a point before the printer issues and
> the printer is back in the printers folder, but still doing nothing.
> ok, any ideas?
>

> --
> joebass

joebass

Re: vista quit recognizing printers ... help!

yes ... all drivers claim to be up to date. And ... all printers have
been directly attached to the vaio via usb. All printers were fine and
working for 6 months, they literally just stopped responding ...

--
joebass
Cari \(MS-MVP\)

Re: vista quit recognizing printers ... help!
Do they work when you disconnect other USB devices? Do they work one at a
time... ie only the single USB printer connected and no other USB devices
attached?

Do they work with other PCs?
--
Cari (MS-MVP)
http://www.coribright.com/windows

> yes ... all drivers claim to be up to date. And ... all printers have
> been directly attached to the vaio via usb. All printers were fine and
> working for 6 months, they literally just stopped responding ...
>

> --
> joebass

DL

Re: vista quit recognizing printers ... help!
Claim to be upto date wasnt what I asked.

Did you use MS Update for any drivers?, if you are unsure view your MS
Update history. If any MS Update drivers have been installed, roll back
those drivers, and obtain new ones direct from Sony and reinstall them.
My past experience of Sony are that even an updated Sony driver, obtained
direct from Sony can cause problems and some times has to be rolled back.
Basic principle with drivers is that 'if it aint broke dont fix it.'

"joebass" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> yes ... all drivers claim to be up to date. And ... all printers have
> been directly attached to the vaio via usb. All printers were fine and
> working for 6 months, they literally just stopped responding ...
>

> --
> joebass

joebass

Re: vista quit recognizing printers ... help!

all usb devices work and have worked individually and alone, including
printers until now. I made no updates nor changes before this happened.
They literally just did not work one day and have not returned.

--
joebass
DL

Re: vista quit recognizing printers ... help!
Then as its a new Sony you need to contact Sony support, for what maybe a hw
problem