Windows equivalent of Unix spool directory

John Goche

Windows equivalent of Unix spool directory

Hello,

Under Unix a logged in user can print to a printer
with the lpr command. What happens is that the
print job goes to a special directory on the Unix
operating system's filesystem such directory
known as a spool directory. From the spool
directory the job goes into the printer's
memory from which it is printed.

When a printer is turned off its RAM is cleared
so that it does looses knowledge of such jobs
when it is turned on. However, under Unix
whatever was in the spool directory remains
there and if you power off the computer and
then back on it keeps sending it to the
printer.

Now, I don't know what the equivalent of
a spool directory under Unix is called under
Windows, but I would like to clear it by
cancelling all print jobs from the user
I am logged into.

So how do I cancel print jobs under
Windows Vista Home Premium SP1?

This would save me lots of wasted
ink and paper,

Thank you for your help,

John Goche
Malke

Re: Windows equivalent of Unix spool directory
John Goche wrote:

(much snippage about Unix)

> Now, I don't know what the equivalent of
> a spool directory under Unix is called under
> Windows, but I would like to clear it by
> cancelling all print jobs from the user
> I am logged into.
>
> So how do I cancel print jobs under
> Windows Vista Home Premium SP1?

Of course you can do this with the gui by going to Control Panel>Printers.
The printer in question can be cleared from there. Or some printers have a
Notification Area icon that can be right-clicked for options. Or you can do
it from the command line.

Start>Search box>type: cmd
When cmd appears in Results above, right-click it and choose "Run as
administrator". This gives you an elevated command prompt. At the prompt,
type:

net stop spooler [enter]

To restart the print spooler, simply type:

net start spooler [enter]

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

Tom Ferguson

Re: Windows equivalent of Unix spool directory
PS to Malke's words:

The default spool directory is

C:\Windows\System\spool\PRINTERS

For Vista 64, ...\System32\...

Tom Ferguson

"John Goche" <johngoche99@googlemail.com> wrote in message

> Hello,
>
> Under Unix a logged in user can print to a printer
> with the lpr command. What happens is that the
> print job goes to a special directory on the Unix
> operating system's filesystem such directory
> known as a spool directory. From the spool
> directory the job goes into the printer's
> memory from which it is printed.
>
> When a printer is turned off its RAM is cleared
> so that it does looses knowledge of such jobs
> when it is turned on. However, under Unix
> whatever was in the spool directory remains
> there and if you power off the computer and
> then back on it keeps sending it to the
> printer.
>
> Now, I don't know what the equivalent of
> a spool directory under Unix is called under
> Windows, but I would like to clear it by
> cancelling all print jobs from the user
> I am logged into.
>
> So how do I cancel print jobs under
> Windows Vista Home Premium SP1?
>
> This would save me lots of wasted
> ink and paper,
>
> Thank you for your help,
>
> John Goche

Alan Morris [MSFT]

Re: Windows equivalent of Unix spool directory
system32 in both 32 and 64 bit machines

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team

"Tom Ferguson" <tom.newsgroups@gmail.com> wrote in message
> PS to Malke's words:
>
> The default spool directory is
>
> C:\Windows\System\spool\PRINTERS
>
> For Vista 64, ...\System32\...
>
> Tom Ferguson
>
> "John Goche" <johngoche99@googlemail.com> wrote in message
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> Under Unix a logged in user can print to a printer
>> with the lpr command. What happens is that the
>> print job goes to a special directory on the Unix
>> operating system's filesystem such directory
>> known as a spool directory. From the spool
>> directory the job goes into the printer's
>> memory from which it is printed.
>>
>> When a printer is turned off its RAM is cleared
>> so that it does looses knowledge of such jobs
>> when it is turned on. However, under Unix
>> whatever was in the spool directory remains
>> there and if you power off the computer and
>> then back on it keeps sending it to the
>> printer.
>>
>> Now, I don't know what the equivalent of
>> a spool directory under Unix is called under
>> Windows, but I would like to clear it by
>> cancelling all print jobs from the user
>> I am logged into.
>>
>> So how do I cancel print jobs under
>> Windows Vista Home Premium SP1?
>>
>> This would save me lots of wasted
>> ink and paper,
>>
>> Thank you for your help,
>>
>> John Goche

Tom Ferguson

Re: Windows equivalent of Unix spool directory
Right you are. My mind went on vacation in July 1998 and has not (yet?)
returned.

Thanks for the catch.

Tom Ferguson