Unable to use fax server

adityasharma

Unable to use fax server

Hi
I am using windows server 2008's fax server and would like to use it
from a client(vista Ultimate) machine. I have added the server in the
fax accounts, but whenever try to send a fax to the server, it says "
could not find the contact in the outlook".

Well, firstly, I don't want to use outlook.
Secondly, I am typing in the server's name in the 'to' field. I know
that is wrong and tried putting in a name and a fax number seperated by
a semicolon, but again, Outlook asks to look into the address book , but
there is no address in the address book, so I add one and use it in the
'to' field, but to no avail, it says that the fax number is unknown.

Any insight on it.

Thanks a zillion

Aditya Sharma

--
adityasharma
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Re: Unable to use fax server
Two separate problems.
Because of the security settings in Vista, for the client to logon to the
server, it is necessary:
(a) for the client and server (DC) to be in the same domain, and
(b) for the the user to be logged on at the client using a credential that's
understood by the server.
WFS relies on the logged on user token and not extra credentials. So, though
you may manage to create a connection to a network share / printer, that is
not the way WFS RPC works. In older OS (XP and so), the RPC for printer
share used to remember credentials but Vista doesn't have that any more as
that poses security concerns.

The address book message means that you have the Outlook Address Book set as
the default for that partition without having set up the Outlook Address
Book Service.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"adityasharma" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> Hi
> I am using windows server 2008's fax server and would like to use it
> from a client(vista Ultimate) machine. I have added the server in the
> fax accounts, but whenever try to send a fax to the server, it says "
> could not find the contact in the outlook".
>
> Well, firstly, I don't want to use outlook.
> Secondly, I am typing in the server's name in the 'to' field. I know
> that is wrong and tried putting in a name and a fax number seperated by
> a semicolon, but again, Outlook asks to look into the address book , but
> there is no address in the address book, so I add one and use it in the
> 'to' field, but to no avail, it says that the fax number is unknown.
>
> Any insight on it.
>
> Thanks a zillion
>
> Aditya Sharma
>

> --
> adityasharma

adityasharma

Re: Unable to use fax server

Thanks Russ.

I have it working now. But I am facing a different problem now.
Whenever I send out an fax to the server, it sends the fax to the fax
machine, but does not saves a copy of the fax locally. I want a utility,
wherein the users can log into the server and play with the fax that
should be locally saved on the server. Does anyone know how to make the
server store the fax locally

Thanks
Aditya Sharma

--